Oh dear

Midnight

Featured Posts

17 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

What's wrong with it?

"Stuff Everyone, Go Faster" would be a problem.

I wish I could bring up every whinge on here about "why dont CRT do something about speeding cyclists.........."

And when they try "oh how much did that initiative cost"?

Sad.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Depends on how much money they are wasting on the blue sky initiative.

I do agree that traffic calming measures would be a better use of the funds.

The best one I've ever seen is at Park Lane services on the Caldon.  It's three fences offset with exactly the correct spacing - you can cycle through it at 4 mph, and you'd fall off your bike at 8 mph.  You'd probably lose teeth at 16 mph and write your bike off at 24 mph.

It's wide enough to allow prams, wheelchairs and mobility scooters through, and has no moving parts.

Sustrans hate it ... 

1 minute ago, TheBiscuits said:

The best one I've ever seen is at Park Lane services on the Caldon.  It's three fences offset with exactly the correct spacing - you can cycle through it at 4 mph, and you'd fall off your bike at 8 mph.  You'd probably lose teeth at 16 mph and write your bike off at 24 mph.

It's wide enough to allow prams, wheelchairs and mobility scooters through, and has no moving parts.

Sustrans hate it ... 

I would wager that cost a lot more than a few posters, a twitter campaign and Facebook post.

Licence payers want money spent on fixing the system dont they? 

8 hours ago, matty40s said:

But in the poster the sky is a very pale blue, does that help?

More seriously, these posters are only to allow CRT to say “look we are doing something”, when actually they are not.  This is because the responsible cyclist is already slowing down and taking care around pedestrians, whilst the irresponsible are not going to care one bit about a poster.  

• Greenie 2

44 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:
9 hours ago, matty40s said:

But in the poster the sky is a very pale blue, does that help?

More seriously, these posters are only to allow CRT to say “look we are doing something”, when actually they are not.  This is because the responsible cyclist is already slowing down and taking care around pedestrians, whilst the irresponsible are not going to care one bit about a poster.  

The blue sky is only a third of the poster, or a third of the cost. The fact that it is all shades of blue shows that CaRT haven't thought it through properly. A speeding cyclist approaching the sign will experience significant blue shift of the light from the sign, due to relativistic effects, pushing the colours deep in to the ultra-violet, making them invisible to the cyclist. It is why fast cyclists wear such cool shades, to protect their eyes from the UV. CaRT should have done this sign to reflect only shades of infra-red, which would then be visible to speeding cyclists, but invisible to the sensibly slow ones. The slogan would then have been "Cyclists, If You Can See This You Are Going Too Fast". A much more sensible use of CaRT's resources.

Jen ?

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sustrans hate it ... 

Similar fencing has been erected on the Bridgewater Canal at Trafford rowing club, Watch House Cruising Club and the Manchester United supporters club.

It does the job of slowing cyclists down.

10 hours ago, LadyG said:

A pair of lads on motorised bikes just whizzed past, going too fast to read that sign, I considered using a 'stinger', but decided against it, 

Just lay blackthorn branch across the towpath, punchers the best of cycle tyres.

11 minutes ago, dunfixing said:

Just lay blackthorn branch across the towpath, punchers the best of cycle tyres.

having been a victim of that i'd happily give a free wild swimming lesson to anyone i caught doing it, but i'm sure you're a clever lad who can use special blackthorn that can tell the difference between Strava hunting idiots and considerate cyclists or kids out with their parents.

• Greenie 2

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Sustrans hate it ... 

The bridge at the end of my garden certainly proved effectivevat calming the traffic last Friday night...