Bosley bottom lock winding

gabble

Featured Posts

Does anyone have a view on the viability of winding a 60ft boat just above Bosley bottom lock? I.e. the pound between lock 12 and lock 11.

Canalplan seems to confirm it is possible Canalplan and I remember it is a biggish space but I’ve no idea about depth. It isn’t marked on Opencanalmap.

Any recent experiences?

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Loads of room and depth, but isnt the bottom lock closed at the moment. I dont know why they didn't lock 2 to top to make the hole accessible from below

There are no current stoppages shown on the CaRT website for Bosley Locks.  For clarity, the top lock is number 1 and the bottom lock is no 12. The winding hole referred to is between locks 11 and 12 and is OK for most 70 footers.

I note that CaRT say there are 3rd Party Works at Aqueduct 7 between 12th and 20th October. If you were new to the area would you know the aqueduct numbers? They are not numbered on any of the canal guides that I have!

I also note that CaRT say that the nearest winding holes are at Brook House and Congleton Golf Course. No bridge numbers were mentioned to aid the understanding for visitors. 

Brook House winding hole is just north of bridge 72.

Congleton Golf course is almost 1 mile away from the canal, so I assume CaRT meant Astbury Golf Course. The latter winding hole is between bridges 77 and 78 and not suitable for a 70 footer. But winding a 70 footer is easy at Congleton Wharf (between 76 and 77) although CaRT never mentioned that on their website.

Sorry to ramble on, but the CaRT people who are publishing these announcements seem to be lacking in both local knowledge and empathy for boaters.  

Perhaps planning for the closure planned for November

Bosley Locks 7, 8 and 11, Macclesfield Canal.

Detail

From Date: 02/11/2020 08:00

To Date: 11/12/2020 16:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation Closure

Reason: Repair

Is the towpath closed? Yes

There was something last week though as we looked at going up the Macclesfield this week and there was a closure notice for this week but can't find it now.

1 hour ago, PhilR said:

Sorry to ramble on, but the CaRT people who are publishing these announcements seem to be lacking in both local knowledge and empathy for boaters.  

They work in an office, possibly not even for CRT, just a data handling centre. 

They havnt got a clue.

On 18/10/2020 at 10:49, gabble said:

Does anyone have a view on the viability of winding a 60ft boat just above Bosley bottom lock? I.e. the pound between lock 12 and lock 11.

Canalplan seems to confirm it is possible Canalplan and I remember it is a biggish space but I’ve no idea about depth. It isn’t marked on Opencanalmap.

Any recent experiences?

Nicholsons shows it as a winding hole but doesn't give a length. I think this indicates it is suitable for a full length 70ft. boat.