Its back again!

David Mack

Featured Posts

Anyone got a photo showing the outboard? I was laughing to much to take a photo when I passed it a few years back. I remember it being huge!

Just seen they have one in the advert, looks smaller than I remember.

Edited by Cas446

1 hour ago, Cas446 said:

Anyone got a photo showing the outboard? I was laughing to much to take a photo when I passed it a few years back. I remember it being huge!

Just seen they have one in the advert, looks smaller than I remember.

Diesel outboards are humungous compared to 4-stroke petrol burners

Yanmar Diesel D 27 Outboard - picture 1

Look at the video (about 40 seconds forwards) this is only a 50HP Either the guy is a midget, or the engine is huge. I'd regularly lift on & off 50Hp 2-strokes but no way with one of these at 175kg (385lbs)

On 18/10/2020 at 20:38, TheBiscuits said:

s-l1600.jpg

On 19/10/2020 at 09:11, doratheexplorer said:

It leaves useful space on the roof for walking along (single-handers will understand), and actually looks quite neat IMO.

The only walkable roof space I can see is the narrow strip either side, between the raised central portion and the handrails, on the steepest part of the curved roof. To walk along that you would need to do a tightrope walk putting one foot directly in front of the other. Hardly safe!

On 18/10/2020 at 20:38, TheBiscuits said:

The bigger picture on the advert shows the rubbing strake almost on the waterline at the stern, so probably 18"

You can also see the solar panels in this picture.

s-l1600.jpg

(click to zoom)

I reckon it's drawing less than 1ft.   Surely it can't have met the RCD stability requirements.  I wouldn't want to be on it in a strong cross wind.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Its still so new that it has not yet been ballasted.

From the pictures in the add it's fully fitted out so should have been ballasted or maybe has none at all deliberately. I'm surprised that the London CCer's haven't snapped it up.

36 minutes ago, David Mack said:

The only walkable roof space I can see is the narrow strip either side, between the raised central portion and the handrails, on the steepest part of the curved roof. To walk along that you would need to do a tightrope walk putting one foot directly in front of the other. Hardly safe!

That narrow strip is wider than I have between the edge of my panels and the handrail.  Remember, when single handing, you only really need to walk along the roof when the boat is in an empty lock, and you can steady yourself with your hand on the lock wall.

37 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

looks to me like there is a poxy little outboard disturbing the water at the stern, with no resulting visible movement of the boat whatsoever.  definitely an eco-friendly boat then.    :unsure:

Looking at the vegetation it’s definitely not winter time, so it’ll be running off the solar panels.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Remember, when single handing, you only really need to walk along the roof when the boat is in an empty lock, and you can steady yourself with your hand on the lock wall.

You get slimy hands that way, and it's not really advisable on a narrow boat boat in a wide lock.

12 hours ago, David Mack said:

You get slimy hands that way, and it's not really advisable on a narrow boat boat in a wide lock.

I was talking about narrow locks.  The great majority of these aren't deep enough to cause slimy hand problems.  I rarely go through wide locks, but when I do I try to share the lock.  If that's not an option, I pull the boat into the lock from the bank.

I still think the roof design is good.  I've never seen another narrowboat where the actually structure is designed for solar panels.  It's the one aspect of this boat which the big builders could have a think about.

1 hour ago, doratheexplorer said:

I was talking about narrow locks.  The great majority of these aren't deep enough to cause slimy hand problems.  I rarely go through wide locks, but when I do I try to share the lock.  If that's not an option, I pull the boat into the lock from the bank.

I still think the roof design is good.  I've never seen another narrowboat where the actually structure is designed for solar panels.  It's the one aspect of this boat which the big builders could have a think about.

Agreed, another good thing is the cabin handrails being close to the sides.  If you slip and managed to hold on, there’d be less chance of breaking a wrist.  Also, can’t help but admire how neatly the sliding hatches fit..............??

Oh no!!......I’m starting to like it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, NB Esk said:

Agreed, another good thing is the cabin handrails being close to the sides.  If you slip and managed to hold on, there’d be less chance of breaking a wrist.  Also, can’t help but admire how neatly the sliding hatches fit..............??

Oh no!!......I’m starting to like it.

Those sliding hatches are rather good, aren't they?

Obviously everything else is a horror show!

• Happy 1

• 5 months later...
On 21/10/2020 at 12:05, IanD said:

If I was CART I wouldn't let that thing anywhere *near* a lock as it is, that pointy bow with a low-down fender couldn't possibly be any better designed to gouge big chunks out of wooden gates...

Strange you should say that with Calcutt gate coming off 2 days ago...

It is with great great regret that I may have to bring this 6 year saga to a close.

On the long journey to work this morning, I saw a hideous vision, thought I was having a nightmare.

I wasnt fast enough to get the fenderless front end, but there is no mistaking the colour, back end or twin tiller arrangement.

The boat market really is getting desparate.

Good luck London.

20210413_083340.jpg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Strange you should say that with Calcutt gate coming off 2 days ago...

It is with great great regret that I may have to bring this 6 year saga to a close.

On the long journey to work this morning, I saw a hideous vision, thought I was having a nightmare.

I wasnt fast enough to get the fenderless front end, but there is no mistaking the colour, back end or twin tiller arrangement.

The boat market really is getting desparate.

Good luck London.

20210413_083340.jpg

AMAZING!!!!

This has to be a sign of an impending apocalypse surely?

Flee for your lives!