Its back again!

David Mack

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I cannot see why any of you think it's any uglier than every other narrow or wide beam boat on the system ESPECIALLY those with all the junk in the world stored on top. The only difference is the extra high bow which I will admit doesn't do it any favours but that is easily removed. All narrow boats are just a box on a hull. Absolutely nothing about any of them that is particulary pretty or out of the ordinary. They are designed to travel on narrow waterways and the term "sewer tube" is appropriately apt for ALL narrowboat style boats.

Now this IS a pretty boat.................images.jpg.32870e967ca971f4b87bf97ecdba21c9.jpg and no it isn't mine, unfortunately.

Is that the new Princess S65 ?

Manufactured in the factory at the back of our mooring in Plymouth.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

43 minutes ago, pete.i said:

I cannot see why any of you think it's any uglier than every other narrow or wide beam boat on the system ESPECIALLY those with all the junk in the world stored on top. The only difference is the extra high bow which I will admit doesn't do it any favours but that is easily removed. All narrow boats are just a box on a hull. Absolutely nothing about any of them that is particulary pretty or out of the ordinary. They are designed to travel on narrow waterways and the term "sewer tube" is appropriately apt for ALL narrowboat style boats.

Now this IS a pretty boat.................images.jpg.32870e967ca971f4b87bf97ecdba21c9.jpg and no it isn't mine, unfortunately.

I've never criticised it for its looks, I've given my opinion on its design.  It's the obvious doubtful claims the vendor has been making over the years it's been for sale that bother me. 

Statements like sustainable on its solar panels, I seem to remember it had an electric motor as well at one point that they claimed could be run all day via panels.

The last time it was advertised a photo of it being lifted out was included, it was clearly visible that it has absolutely no swim at all, an essential for any inland waterway boat regardless of which mechanised power unit is decided upon.

That's just for starters, far too many exaggerations and dodgy claims to eliminate "Scam" for me.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, pete.i said:

And will that thing get me along the Llangollen Canal?
Perhaps you need to check what a "canal boat" is.

2 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Perhaps you need to check what a "canal boat" is.

He already has :

All narrow boats are just a box on a hull. Absolutely nothing about any of them that is particulary pretty or out of the ordinary. They are designed to travel on narrow waterways and the term "sewer tube" is appropriately apt for ALL narrowboat style boats.

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

I've never criticised it for its looks, I've given my opinion on its design.  It's the obvious doubtful claims the vendor has been making over the years it's been for sale that bother me. 

Statements like sustainable on its solar panels, I seem to remember it had an electric motor as well at one point that they claimed could be run all day via panels.

The last time it was advertised a photo of it being lifted out was included, it clearly visible that it has absolutely no swim at all, wasan essential for any inland waterway boat regardless of which mechanised power unit is decided upon.

That's just for starters, far too many exaggerations and dodgy claims to eliminate "Scam" for me.

s-l1600 (9).jpg

• Horror 1

3 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Looking at the pic where it is float, in #1, the draft must be about 3 inches.

Similar has been said for every time it is offered for sale (it must be abouth tghe 6th time now).

Suggestions of everything from a scam to photoshop pictures has been suggested. Nothing 'sits right' about this boat

7 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Looking at the pic where it is float, in #1, the draft must be about 3 inches.

The bigger picture on the advert shows the rubbing strake almost on the waterline at the stern, so probably 18"

You can also see the solar panels in this picture.

s-l1600.jpg

(click to zoom)

7 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

How on earth is it going to get a Safety renewal with a hot stove flu in direct contact with the aerodynamic crutch?

with no swim I suspect it also would fail in several of the propulsion parts - isn't one that you must have an efficient way of stopping the boat?

1 minute ago, StephenA said:

with no swim I suspect it also would fail in several of the propulsion parts - isn't one that you must have an efficient way of stopping the boat?

Not that I have ever seen, are you confusing it with the MOT ?

The BSS is only about protecting the public from fire or explosion, it has nothing to do with the safety for the occupants or the 'sea-worthiness' of the boat

The BSS Mission statement :

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned equally by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency. Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not that I have ever seen, are you confusing it with the MOT ?

The BSS is only about protecting the public from fire or explosion, it has nothing to do with the safety for the occupants or the 'sea-worthiness' of the boat

The BSS Mission statement :

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned equally by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency. Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users.

maybe its in the CRT regulations, I could have sworn it was there somewhere, along with details of headlights and horns.

33 minutes ago, StephenA said:

maybe its in the CRT regulations, I could have sworn it was there somewhere, along with details of headlights and horns.

The BSS inspector will not be qualified to ascertain such conditions of a boat as - will it stop in a given distance, with the engine power it has, fitted with a propeller of a certain size and pitch. Or, in fact, is the owner competent in the first place. 

It really is awful, but trying to be positive and looking for anything I like about this boat:  I do quite like the way the roof has been designed with the solar panels in mind and how it matches in the with the 2 sliding hatches.  I've not really seen that stepped roof design before (except maybe Elizabeth :blink:).  It leaves useful space on the roof for walking along (single-handers will understand), and actually looks quite neat IMO.  I assume that's how a 7' headroom is acheived while still getting under most low bridges.  My solar panels are mounted on roof boxes and the arrangement looks quite clunky and ugly by comparison.

If I was having a bespoke boat designed from scratch I might look at having something along those lines.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

It really is awful, but trying to be positive and looking for anything I like about this boat:  I do quite like the way the roof has been designed with the solar panels in mind and how it matches in the with the 2 sliding hatches.  I've not really seen that stepped roof design before (except maybe Elizabeth :blink:).  It leaves useful space on the roof for walking along (single-handers will understand), and actually looks quite neat IMO.  I assume that's how a 7' headroom is acheived while still getting under most low bridges.  My solar panels are mounted on roof boxes and the arrangement looks quite clunky and ugly by comparison.

If I was having a bespoke boat designed from scratch I might look at having something along those lines.

It does seem to have lost some depth to the hull, and may have had to increase the height in part of the roof. I wonder if the boat rolls more than usual, with a higher centre of gravity. 

Edited by Higgs

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is that the new Princess S65 ?

Manufactured in the factory at the back of our mooring in Plymouth.

If it is it will have been partly fitted out by my son in law. He does the bathrooms.

• Happy 1

12 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If it is it will have been partly fitted out by my son in law. He does the bathrooms.

The Princesses have some beautiful woodwork on their boats done by craftsmen.    

worth checking out the YouTube vids by “Aquaholic” who does reviews on all kinds of boats floating on salty stuff.....

• Greenie 1