Copy of BSS Certificate

jddevel

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

You are, as usual, spectacularly missing the point. The BSS isn't anything to do with a nanny state, it is about keeping innocent bystanders safe (or safer) from idiots.

The same job is done in the Tesco car park by the "MoT" certificate requirement, without which the car would not legally have got there in the first place.

No, it's pretty rubbish, as it goes. A marina might have a few dozen comings and goings in a week. Tesco has hundreds every day.

At last youve caught on, it took some time. You are in this sentence correct. The bss is needed to obtain a licence and an mot is needed also to be used legaly and therefore precisely the same applies in that its not needed for further checks. Both of course can expire whilst either boat licence is still in date and vel is still in date. 

36 minutes ago, MartynG said:

By the way . I have visited Hull Marina several times and may have been asked for the name of my  insurance company but certainly haven't been asked  for evidence of a BSSC.  

The company the owns Hull Marina , Aquavista , appears to be simply the new trading name for BWML?

As a visitor you would not be asked, as a long-term moorer it WAS a requirement.

Yes I know (sighs)

Aquavista is the new name for BWML, who last year were sold off (by C&RT) to a consortium of banks (primarily Lloyds) and manged by the 'old management team'.

There is no no link between Aquavista nad C&RT.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Do you think being in possession of  a BSSC  proves a boat is  safe to moor near other boats in a marina setting?

Yes, er more or less!

It has been noted on here and I have found,albeit in my limited experience,that there is a variation in standards between BSS examiners.

27 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

At last youve caught on, it took some time. You are in this sentence correct. The bss is needed to obtain a licence and an mot is needed also to be used legaly and therefore precisely the same applies in that its not needed for further checks. Both of course can expire whilst either boat licence is still in date and vel is still in date. 

If you have an expired mot or bss your insurance will be invalid.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

There is no no link between Aquavista nad C&RT.

Aquavista Watersides Limited Head office is at Sawley marina and is company that has been in existence  several years .

British Waterways Marinas Limited changed its name to Aquavista Watersides Limited in July of this year .

Those are links if you ask me . But accepting C&RT no longer own the company that runs the marinas. 

Not  sure who owns the marinas but fairly sure the business occupies Hull as  tenant and would expect that to apply generally.

Just now, Mad Harold said:

Yes, er more or less!

It has been noted on here and I have found,albeit in my limited experience,that there is a variation in standards between BSS examiners.

And a variation in standards of 'boaters'.

There are those who want a safe boat, and those who just want a piece of paper to get the licence.

It is not unknown for boaters to empty stuff out of their gas lockers, borrow CO alarms, borrow Fire extinguishers etc etc etc , then replace them all when the examiner has left.

They show about as much intelligence as those holding 'Covid parties' or mass 'pi55-ups' on the night before lockdown.

I have set up known failures on my last few BSS surveys, and every one has passed despite (in one case) up to 6 failures. Complaints to the BSS office are fobbed-off with "we will ensure the examiner is subject to some more training"

Having a BSS does not make a safe boat.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

If you have an expired mot or bss your insurance will be invalid.

Wrong sorry to say. I wont go into details but once a car is insured the insurance company has taken the risk on, they may drop your level from fully comp to Road traffic act cover in the event of a claim should you be found to have an expired mot certificate but cannot without notice stop your road traffic act cover.

1 minute ago, Flyboy said:

If you have an expired ......bss your insurance will be invalid.

Not so unless  specifically stated in the insurance policy and conditions.

My insurance doesn't require a BSS certificate.

• Greenie 2

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

It just shows that a BSSC is not mandatory for boat insurance.

There are probably many millions of boats in the world without A BSSC, vastly more than that do have them. Just like narrowboats are the tiny minority of boats in the world and built to stupid dimensions.

• Greenie 1

The marina I am refering to is Dunchurch Pools. It`s a relatively new one with an owner from outside of the industry from what I`m led to believe. I should them my reference to my licence renewal for this month which detailed the BSS number and expiry date but unfortunately he did not seem to be satisfied so hence my trying to obtain a copy. 

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

By the way ....... why  is the marina  asking for the BSS certificate ? 

I have never shown mine. The fact the boat is licenced with C&RT show it has one unless it expired since the last licence was purchased 

17 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have never shown mine. The fact the boat is licenced with C&RT show it has one unless it expired since the last licence was purchased 

There are a goodly number of marinas that do not require you be licenced so its not unreasonable to ask for evidence of a BSSC.

5 hours ago, jddevel said:

Moved our boat to another marina and although we`ve searched high and low for either a hard copy and on our computer records we can`t find it. Apparently a copy is available from CRT but their search site isn`t that helpful. Anyone point me in the right direction please?

Ive just logged on to Carts site and into my boat details. The bss cert number and expiry date are shown on there, perhaps you could log on and show the marina person that and it would hopefuly if common sense still applies be good enough?

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

Not so unless  specifically stated in the insurance policy and conditions.

My insurance doesn't require a BSS certificate.

Well mine does. I'm with Craftinsure and it states on my policy :- You have agreed to :- " You possess a current Canal and River Trust or Environment Agency licence or equivalent  licence from the local navigation authority as appropriate, and a current Boat Safety Certificate."  I have been with four other companies over the years and they all have a similar requirement. I would expect most reputable insurance companies to have a similar requirement.  As you do not need to have a bss with yours, perhaps you could tell me the name of your insurer please?

4 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

Well mine does. I'm with Craftinsure and it states on my policy :- You have agreed to :- " You possess a current Canal and River Trust or Environment Agency licence or equivalent  licence from the local navigation authority as appropriate, and a current Boat Safety Certificate."  I have been with four other companies over the years and they all have a similar requirement. I would expect most reputable insurance companies to have a similar requirement.  As you do not need to have a bss with yours, perhaps you could tell me the name of your insurer please?

Not being argumentative, but I am insured with Craft Insure and have no such statement on my policy documents.

20 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not being argumentative, but I am insured with Craft Insure and have no such statement on my policy documents.

You probably have a lumpy water policy and don't go on CaRT or Environment Agency waters, so you wouldn't would you. Here's a copy of page 2 of my policy. It comes under Sanctions.

img039.jpg

Edited by Flyboy

12 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

You probably have a lumpy water policy and don't go on CaRT or Environment Agency waters, so you wouldn't would you. Here's a copy of page 2 of my policy. It comes under Sanctions.

I think you have it.

I was based on the Trent (at Newark) but rememebr being told that as I went down the Trent onto "Trent tidal waters" and then onto the Humber that I would not be covered on the 'Inland Policy' as the only cover for 'tidal rivers' is limited to short sections connecting between canals, so would not be insured (for example) going around Trent falls.

I have looked at the policy and , yes, it is entitled "Tidal Motor Boat Policy" so, although most of the time I was on C&RT waters there was no requirement to be either licenced or have a BSS.

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

As you do not need to have a bss with yours, perhaps you could tell me the name of your insurer please?

http://www.yyachtinsurance.com/

I would not consider your policy if it requires a license to be held continuously  as I have not in recent years licensed the boat all year and want it to be insured while ''off water''. 

PS

Not to mention I do want to be able to go on lumpy water  occasionally . 

Edited by MartynG

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

http://www.yyachtinsurance.com/

I would not consider your policy if it requires a license to be held continuously  as I have not in recent years licensed the boat all year and want it to be insured while ''off water''. 

PS

Not to mention I do want to be able to go on lumpy water  occasionally . 

As you have yacht insurance I assume you have a yacht and don't cruise the canals and non tidal rivers so you don't need a licence or bss.