Copy of BSS Certificate

jddevel

Featured Posts

Moved our boat to another marina and although we`ve searched high and low for either a hard copy and on our computer records we can`t find it. Apparently a copy is available from CRT but their search site isn`t that helpful. Anyone point me in the right direction please?

If you log onto your account on the C&RT website you should be able to see the BSS certificate number and expiry has been  entered  against your boat details .

You could then supply the marina with the BSS certificate number.

Failing that being acceptable  send an email to customer services at C&RT and I expect they will be able to verify the certificate  expiry date.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

By the way ....... why  is the marina  asking for the BSS certificate ? 

I spose in this Nanny state they have to be seen to be checking if the boat is safe to moor near other boats in a marina setting. 

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I spose in this Nanny state they have to be seen to be checking if the boat is safe to moor near other boats in a marina setting. 

I think you will find that the marinas insurance company will have a clause stipulating this requirement.

12 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I think you will find that the marinas insurance company will have a clause stipulating this requirement.

It was quite 'funny' when we took a mooring in Hull Marina (which, at the time was a BWML / C&RT marina) and in their T&Cs was a condition that you could not have a mooring until you provided evidence of having a current BSSC.

Long discussions with local staff got us nowhere and I ended up 'discussing it' with the MD and pointing out that I thought it unlikely that the Border-Force boats moored in the marina were unlikely to have a BSSC, and that as a Sea-Going RCD Category A Blue water cruising boat we did not need one and had no intention of getting one.

They eventually 'saw sense' and said we didn't need to produce one.

I said I was surprised that no one else had ever questioned it.

Talk about 'generic rules and regulations'

Edited by Alan de Enfield

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Every (inland) marina I have ever used require the boat to have a BSSC, and not many will just accept "yeh, I've got one"

I have never been asked for a copy of BSS certificate  by the marina  where I  keep my boat (I have had a mooring  there 12 years). 

I can imagine that marinas such as Kings and Hull which are or were owned by C&RT (British Waterways)  might  have an interest in whether a BSSC is held .

Proper paper BSS certificates haven't existed for some years now. There is a certification report in electronic and/or dead tree format that the examiner should have given you. This explains it.

https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination-and-certification/arranging-the-examination/bss-certificates-explained/

Getting another copy now may be tricky. You could always put it through another boat safety test and get a new one ?. Not what you want to hear I'm sure.

Jen

34 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I expect every marina has boats within it that have  expired BSSc's or are awaiting corrective action having had issues discovered during a BSS examination . What are the potential consequences for the marina according to the relevant terms  that insurance ?

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Do you think being in possession of  a BSSC  proves a boat is  safe to moor near other boats in a marina setting?

13 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

In your free-for-all state, can I presume you'd be quite happy for someone to leave an unexploded bomb right next to your boat?

I dont recall many bombs or boats blowing up next to my boat before the BSS was introduced.Perhaps you think that tesco etc should have someone in the car park checking every cars mot certificate before it entered just in case the brakes may not have been checked and run into somebody?

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Do you think being in possession of  a BSSC  proves a boat is  safe to moor near other boats in a marina setting?

No I dont but thats the cop out for marinas.

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, jddevel said:

Moved our boat to another marina and although we`ve searched high and low for either a hard copy and on our computer records we can`t find it. Apparently a copy is available from CRT but their search site isn`t that helpful. Anyone point me in the right direction please?

Isn't having a licence proof enough that you had one (at the date of licencing). 

Our marina asks for proof of insurance but not BSS

Edited to add: My last certificate arrived as an email attachment, have you checked the depths of your email account?

Edited by alias

19 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

...tesco etc should have someone in the car park checking every cars mot certificate before it entered just in case the brakes may not have been checked and run into somebody?

That's a very good analogy .

I agree it's not a car park owners responsibility to check MOT or insurance is valid .

The same applies to a boat park .

I imagine the car park owner / boat park owner has insurance that protects them without needing the owner to check paperwork for every boat that comes and goes .

• Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I dont recall many bombs or boats blowing up next to my boat before the BSS was introduced.Perhaps you think that tesco etc should have someone in the car park checking every cars mot certificate before it entered just in case the brakes may not have been checked and run into somebody?

You are, as usual, spectacularly missing the point. The BSS isn't anything to do with a nanny state, it is about keeping innocent bystanders safe (or safer) from idiots.

The same job is done in the Tesco car park by the "MoT" certificate requirement, without which the car would not legally have got there in the first place.

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's a very good analogy .

No, it's pretty rubbish, as it goes. A marina might have a few dozen comings and goings in a week. Tesco has hundreds every day.

Edited by Machpoint005

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was quite 'funny' when we took a mooring in Hull Marina (which, at the time was a BWML / C&RT marina) and in their T&Cs was a condition .............

By the way . I have visited Hull Marina several times and may have been asked for the name of my  insurance company but certainly haven't been asked  for evidence of a BSSC.  

The company the owns Hull Marina , Aquavista , appears to be simply the new trading name for BWML?

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

The BSS .............. is about keeping innocent bystanders safe (or safer) from idiots.

However the BSS test is very poor at doing that .as it doesn't require the idiot to be present during the test.