Boater cruising down River Severn

LEO

Featured Posts

Interesting video on FB, Narrowboat Owners Group of a boater cruising down River Severn at Framilode Passage...............there are some crazy peeps about. Sorry could not do link, but it's well worth a look.....

Not so dangerous so long as all you want to do is go with the flow. A bit more of a problem when you want to turn off the river or moor up.

When I say a bit more, I really mean ***WOAHHHHHHH OH SH*T OH SH*T OH SH*T***...

It's the first narrowboat to reach Monmouth, March 2019...

https://youtu.be/2yaUrinpWEw

They have some interesting videos on YouTube!

A return trip from Sharpness to Brockweir via the River Severn and the River Wye that didn't exactly go to plan!...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9pH3Ifu6HY

Edited by Dorlan

15 hours ago, sharpness said:

He's going UP the Severn with the bore, he won't get in to Gloucester that way unless the bore is going to carry him up over Maisemore weir.

There is a video on their YouTube channel of coming up the channel by Gloucester lock, again over the weir on a high tide

• Greenie 3

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, Steve Manc said:

Is a ship to shore radio / ship to ship radio required on the Severn? 

I have a IC - M25 Euro radio which I purchased for the River Trent and River Ouse last year. 

Thanks

When you say Severn do you mean above Gloucester or below Saul?

On 18/10/2020 at 04:51, sharpness said:

He's going UP the Severn with the bore, he won't get in to Gloucester that way unless the bore is going to carry him up over Maisemore weir.

That's how you do it. You will go up on a high spring tide and if your timings work out straight over the weir. You have the choice of Maisemore weir or Gloucester weir. Although the route to Gloucester weir is overgrown at the moment. When I did it that was the way chosen. But it is the quickest way if you are going into Gloucester as you end up at the lock. If you go over Maisemore and want to get into Gloucester you will punch tide all the way down the parting. But the best option if you are going on up the river.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Plan to join the Severn at Stourport, travel down to Sharpness. Then return up to Birmingham.

To communicate with locks on River Trent and River Ouse we used the radio. It was also useful to listen to other boats approaching or leaving the locks.

Is this the same on the River Severn? 

Thanks for your replies

5 minutes ago, Steve Manc said:

Plan to join the Severn at Stourport, travel down to Sharpness. Then return up to Birmingham.

Do you mean you are going to transit the Severn between Gloucester and Sharpness in both directions? Or are you going to use the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal for that bit?

If you do that section of the river you won't need vhf to contact the lockkeepers as there aren't any! But you might need it to call for help from the emergency services!

For the river above Gloucester you don't need vhf. The locks have traffic lights. If they are red you pull into the lock moorings, if green the gates will be open and you go straight into the lock. The lockkeepers will usually see you coming.

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Do you mean you are going to transit the Severn between Gloucester and Sharpness in both directions? Or are you going to use the Gloucester and Sharpness Canal for that bit?

If you do that section of the river you won't need vhf to contact the lockkeepers as there aren't any! But you might need it to call for help from the emergency services!

For the river above Gloucester you don't need vhf. The locks have traffic lights. If they are red you pull into the lock moorings, if green the gates will be open and you go straight into the lock. The lockkeepers will usually see you coming.

Dave, thanks for the reply.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

To communicate with locks on River Trent and River Ouse we used the radio. It was also useful to listen to other boats approaching or leaving the locks.

Is this the same on the River Severn? 

Thanks for your replies

When we've tried to use VHF with the Servern lockies they've never replied. A lot of them haven't got an operator licence apparently when we asked. 

They've got basic CCTV on the river either side of the locks so they will see you coming anyway.

I would just comment that on a couple of occasions when on the Severn the lock keeper did not  see us coming so in the first case I had to moor up and walk up to alert him. On the second occasion a quick call on VHF woke him up.

All locks on the River Severn should be on VHF channel 74. I know a lot of the time the lock keepers can't be bothered to answer. In addition some of the bridges on the G&S use them, namely Llanthony, Junction and Purton. I suppose really communication and health and safety are not that high up the list with CRT.