Hack green locks

haggis

Featured Posts

Having a restful morning sitting in the sun waiting for the C&RT guys arriving to operate Hack Green locks. Just had a call  back to say they will send someone out to let the waiting boats through (4) and then the locks will be closed till Monday. They will update the stoppage notice

They are closed right over the half term holidays, scuppering any chance of a decent cruise for many.  Probably academic given the new restrictions but shameful that they knew about the problem over a year ago and did nothing until the cill totally failed. 

Same as not fixing lock paddles and when the other one goes t*ts up - stoppage.  A couple of years ago at Broadmoor lock near Cropredy, a top ground paddle was out for over a year but when the other one also failed, they only repaired ONE OF THEM!  Bonkers.

It is bad enough closing the locks  but when the stoppage notice says they will be operated by C&RT guys each day till they close on Tuesday it is even worse. When I pointed this  out to the guy who called me back he said that the weekend guys had to get on with water conservation duties.  How are boaters supposed to know this?

1 hour ago, rustynewbery said:

Same as not fixing lock paddles and when the other one goes t*ts up - stoppage.  A couple of years ago at Broadmoor lock near Cropredy, a top ground paddle was out for over a year but when the other one also failed, they only repaired ONE OF THEM!  Bonkers.

This really annoys me. So many locks with one paddle taped off. I am sure CRT consider 2 paddles as having one as a spare. As a VLockie said to us a couple of weeks ago, nothing gets fixed now until its a stoppage.

We got through with the help of a very friendly C&RT chap with whom we had a lovely chat along with all the other boaters waiting while he 'winched' the beam open enough. He was still valiantly putting through several other boats well gone 2pm this afternoon and there's one waiting this evening for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for him.

Edited by wandering snail

2 hours ago, wandering snail said:

We got through with the help of a very friendly C&RT chap with whom we had a lovely chat along with all the other boaters waiting while he 'winched' the beam open enough. He was still valiantly putting through several other boats well gone 2pm this afternoon and there's one waiting this evening for tomorrow. Fingers crossed for him.

It seems you got a good one http://nbhuffler.blogspot.com/?view=classic#!/2020/10/shropshire-union-nantwich-back-to.html

• 2 weeks later...
22 hours ago, haggis said:

Thank you. I deleted the stoppage notice when we got through the lock. 

Open again...

Notice Update: 28th October 20

Navigation: Open, Towpath: Open

Shropshire Union Canal
Location: Hack Green Lock 2, Baddington, Shropshire Union Canal
Starts At: Hack Green Lock 1
Ends At: Lock 2, Hack Green Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: Hack Green Winding Hole.
Down Stream Winding Hole: Moss Hall Winding Hole.

Update on 28/10/2020:

We are pleased to advise the repair to Lock 2, Hack Green on the Shropshire Union Canal has been successful and is back open to navigation.