British Boaters in the EU

Phoenix_V

Featured Posts

Starting a new thread as the other one has been hijacked and moved. There has been a slight movement in the plan to make boats returning to the UK pay vat even though they have already paid it previously in the UK, they have graciously allowed just one year to bring it back, FT article courtesey of the bbc as it is behind a paywall;

The FT Weekend front page 17 October 2020

When I left Thrupp cruising club I didnt need five and a half years to work out I could no longer buy the cheap diesel, its part of the club benefits. Leaving any club be it political or otherwise and surely its pretty obvious things change. Hobby boaters who have chosen to move to a foreign country should surely realise changes were going to happen and blimey its been known since june 2016 not just sprung on them. I certainly agree they should not have to pay a tax they have already paid however, but surely yet another year after jan first is long enough.

There is a long list of exemptions to the rules for returning goods and no reason why personally owned and used watercraft should not have been added.

17 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

18 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When I left Thrupp cruising club I didnt need five and a half years to work out I could no longer buy the cheap diesel,

except that the new rules have been a closely guarded secret for 5.5 years

20 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I certainly agree they should not have to pay a tax they have already paid however, but surely yet another year after jan first is long enough.

so if I don't wish to return until say 2022 its ok to have to pay vat twice

3 minutes ago, Phoenix_V said:

There is a long list of exemptions to the rules for returning goods and no reason why personally owned and used watercraft should not have been added.

except that the new rules have been a closely guarded secret for 5.5 years

Agreed.

• Greenie 1