Good Deed for the Day

cuthound

Featured Posts

Could you send this to CRT, Cycling World, Sustrans and Halfords......

Well done sir, good actions and beyond the call of duty to save his bike, although it could have been caught on someones prop tommorow.

Hope the biker is Ok.

You will never get your stove cleaned if you keep hearing voices.

Edited by matty40s
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well done and pleased the guy was 'OK' and is now in the best place.

Presumably he was cycling without lights ?

No, when i fished his bike out of the canal both front and rear lights were working, if somewhat dimly.

From the cuts to his head and nose I would guess he misjudged how low the arch of the bridge is on the bridge side of the towpath.

I have a similar story to tell, but I was on the towpath with the boathook when the cyclist came past ...

More seriously, good job.  I'm only being facetious above.

The only cyclist I nearly knocked in the cut was with a windlass not a boathook!

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I have a similar story to tell, but I was on the towpath with the boathook when the cyclist came past ...

Morse seriously, good job.  I'm only being facetious above.

The only cyclist I nearly knocked in the cut was with a windlass not a boathook!

Ssh, you'll  give the game away! ?

Well done cuthound very lucky you and your neighbour were on hand.

A couple of weeks ago  was on the back of the boat at our mooring and I heard a splash and assumed a dog had jumped in the canal soon became evident that someone was in the water turned  out a cyclist had cycled off the towpath...

Fortunately he was ok and retrieved his bike but not his phone... I did offer help but he was ok and eventually cycled off with his friends 

Well done Cuthound.

We waved at you when we went by your house about 10 days ago but you wern't at home. Love the collection of gnomes in your garden.

A few years a go we were boating through Rugeley one evening when I was suddenly aware of an arm being waved from the water in a bridge hole. I managed to stop Tyto before I hit him. He was acyclist who had hit a projecting brick on the towpath and had gone A over T into the cut followed by his bike. We and a passerby pulled him out unharmed except for his pride!! It was a good job his bike was steel framed so my magnet was able to pull it out. From where the bike was in the cut he must have been going quite fast.

11 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Well done cuthound very lucky you and your neighbour were on hand.

A couple of weeks ago  was on the back of the boat at our mooring and I heard a splash and assumed a dog had jumped in the canal soon became evident that someone was in the water turned  out a cyclist had cycled off the towpath...

Fortunately he was ok and retrieved his bike but not his phone... I did offer help but he was ok and eventually cycled off with his friends 

Which probably means he was on his phone when he went in!!

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Just goes to show how easy it is to have an accident. If he had knocked himself out he would have drowned and in the evening very few people walk that stretch of canal.

I often wonder why they dont wear lifejackets instead of helmets 

Well done!

Was it shock or shock?

In other words surprise / distress or clinical shock. The latter can be a killer.

Your situation is a reminder that we should all learn some basic first aid.

But well done for helping.

10 hours ago, MHS said:

Well done, always worth having a trusty GSD nearby to raise the alarm. 

Yes Zeus is an excellent guard dog. 

Raises the alarm to people falling in the cut, passing boats, dogs, ducks, moorhens, swans, Autumn leaves falling on the garden etc.

In short he is very gobby! ??

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, matty40s said:

Health and Safety risk.....

Cuthound Bridge

Detail Tamworth.

Coventry Canal, between Alvecote Marina and Cuthounds Bridge

From Date: now

To Date: 20/10/2020 17:00 inclusive

Type: Navigation and Towpath Restriction

Reason: Inspection and rebuild

Is the towpath closed to bikes? Bloody well should be

Teams will be onsite in orange Hi-Vis to inspect damage to brickwork, potential alterations to cycle paths and closure of Midlands region until arched bridges built 200 years ago are all rebuilt square to accommodate today's CRT customers in their natural quest for personal best times on towpaths, even in fading light conditions.

Sustrans may be involved to improve towpath LED floodlighting across the network.

I would imagine they're going to fill in all the canals soon anyway because most of the people involved in building them were also involved in the slave trade, or didn't ensure their work force was multi ethnic. We can't possibly use something that is that racist - can we?

• Haha 4

48 minutes ago, manxmike said:

I would imagine they're going to fill in all the canals soon anyway because most of the people involved in building them were also involved in the slave trade, or didn't ensure their work force was multi ethnic. We can't possibly use something that is that racist - can we?

Can't convert them in to cycle tracks though. The metal and rubber in bikes comes from mines and rubber plantations on land robbed from indigenous people. The resin in carbon fibre is made from fossil fuels. As is lycra.

Leave the canals in water and ban boats. Canals are just for water voles.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

58 minutes ago, manxmike said:

It seems like the whole countryside is now racist. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/10/15/british-countryside-racist-says-countryfile-presenter/

6 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I think it's because no-one (yet) makes a lycra lifejacket...

Horse riders wear life-jackets

Almost all the leading riders now use them and they are widely credited with saving rider Oliver Townend's life after he suffered a horrific ' rotational' fall in April last year, when his horse hit a big timber jump, somersaulted, and then came down on top of his head and chest.

'I would not be here now without the air jacket,' says Townend, 28, of his fall. 'It is a massive step forward in the safety of our sport.'

The jackets are the invention of Lee Middleton, 32, a former equine dentist and showjumper, who modified inflatable motorcycle jackets to the demands of horse-riding.

Sebastian O'Kelly tries out the Point Two Air Jacket

Event rider Oliver Townend is protected by his jacket in a horrific fall last April