Boat Dwellers Accommodation Needs Assessment

TheGoose

Featured Posts

19 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe if the forum allowed you to post Pdf's then more people could benefit from my library of manuals, legal cases, and documents.

16 hours ago, Skeg said:

Arse.

Perhaps it's just me, but I thought Skeg's remark was merely his way of expressing frustration, similar to "Oh dear, that's a pity", or "Sh1t". 

We'll probably have to wait several months before we find out, if ever.

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pdf's of any size are banned, I asked why, and apparently the owners consider Pdf's to be a 'virus-transmitting risk' so have been stopped from being posted.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Would it make sense to have a "file archive" section on the forum where useful documents can be uploaded to and stored?

If they went via a buffer area the moderators could make sure they were clean (just run past a decent AV tool) and not ridiculously big (and not illegal or copyrighted) before moving them into the publicly accessible area, at which the post from whoever sent them telling them about the added file(s) could be posted to the forum with a link to the file(s).

The moderators could reject anything the slightest bit dodgy or not in the public interest. The storage size needed would probably be a fraction of what is used anyway to store all the forum posts. Anyone who doesn't want to look at a big document on a mobile doesn't have to.

This could form a really useful resource for the forums.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Pdf's of any size are banned, I asked why, and apparently the owners consider Pdf's to be a 'virus-transmitting risk' so have been stopped from being posted.

The size issue - I can understand, if it is based on a number of members using mobile data (of which I am one) but is it more a storage / capacity issue rather than consideration for the users ?

Have I missed a development in pdf viruses?   As I understood it they can only spread the virus in Adobe Acrobat not even in Adobe reader.  Surely the forum software doesn't use Adobe Acrobat.

Is my understanding lacking.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Have I missed a development in pdf viruses?   As I understood it they can only spread the virus in Adobe Acrobat not even in Adobe reader.  Surely the forum software doesn't use Adobe Acrobat.

Is my understanding lacking.

Dunno, its way above my pay-grade.

I was just told that was the reason, but apparently I'm just an 'arse'.

20 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I think who ever posted that needs to apologise and explain himself.

It’s just my opinion, no one has to agree with it. Alan of Enfield knows everything, apart from some obvious things. For me the simple way to make PDF’s available would be to host them and share them on Google Drive, Dropbox, Apple iCloud etc.

2 hours ago, Skeg said:

It’s just my opinion, no one has to agree with it. Alan of Enfield knows everything, apart from some obvious things. For me the simple way to make PDF’s available would be to host them and share them on Google Drive, Dropbox, Apple iCloud etc.

What gives you the right to think that other people should be forced to give out personal details for ongoing data mining by predatory tech companies just so it saves you from having to provide your email address so you can receive what you asked for? Just because you are happy to be ripped off by the said companies does not mean everyone is. I accept that you may not realise just how much you are giving away to such outfits but some of us do.

I think your post I quote above shows who really deserves the accolade you gave Alan.

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

Can anyone point to how Dropbox is ripping us off and mining our data in the way Google/Apple does?

I will be surprised if you can.

ETA dropbox is more secure than sending an email as with email you have no control over the recipients security.

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

Can anyone point to how Dropbox is ripping us off and mining our data ?

I will be surprised id you can.

Irrespective of if they do or don;'t why should I go to the trouble to start using something I don't already use just to make some idle (everyone owes me an easy life) person happy.

As the forum is unable to accept / host Pdf's then other ways of distribution need to be found.

I give my (little) accumulated experience and documentation away free of charge, all I ask is that the person who wants is actually prepared to make a small effort to ask for it.

is that too much to ask ?

You can say "its only worth what you paid for it" or you might just find it useful, that is up to the individual.

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Can anyone point to how Dropbox is ripping us off and mining our data in the way Google/Apple does?

I will be surprised if you can.

ETA dropbox is more secure than sending an email as with email you have no control over the recipients security.

No I can't but that does not mean they do not. Ordinary folk either have to believe what these companies tell them or be sceptical. As far as big tech is concerned I say better safe than sorry.

2 hours ago, Skeg said:

Why should he host his documents where others can access them, he has made the decision to share one of them with someone who needs a particular document.

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why should he host his documents where others can access them, he has made the decision to share one of them with someone who needs a particular document.

With dropbox no one has access apart from the owner unless you give others a link to the file or make it public.

All my documents are on Dropbox means I can access them from any where I choose.

Edited by Loddon

1 minute ago, Loddon said:

With dropbox no one has access apart from the owner unless you give others a link to the file or make it public.

All my documents are on Dropbox means I can access them from any where I choose.

and when Dropbox decides to see what your photos are of, when they decide to charge you for hosting, when they suffer a security breach, when they simply shut down their servers? You may be happy to trust your data to commercial companies but I am certainly not.

8 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Everything I have is backed up on an external drive, I can access anywhere in the world by simply plugging it into a computer.

I suffered a big loss of pictures when a Photo hosting company decided to charge for storage, I'll not be caught again.

Just now, Jerra said:

Does anyone know if that is the cas eor is it the forum has decided to set the software to not allow pdfs

I asked RichM when he was 'in office' and he said it 'couldn't be done'.

Previously Pdfs were allowed so I assume it was during one of the 'upgrades' and was a software issue.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Everything I have is backed up on an external drive, I can access anywhere in the world by simply plugging it into a computer.

Only if you carry it with you, does it plug into your phone as well?

I lost a lot of data when my NAS drives decided not to be NAS drives and the backup got corrupted,

Hence I now keep what is left on a commercial site.

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Only if you carry it with you, does it plug into your phone as well?

I lost a lot of data when my NAS drives decided not to be NAS drives and the backup got corrupted,

Hence I now keep what is left on a commercial site.

My telephone is a  3" x 2" x 1/2" 15 year old telephone that fits nicely in my shirt pocket, it is only used to make calls and act as a hotspot for my laptop.

My fingers do not work well enough to use a phone for a computer. I gave my Samsung 20 to SWMBO (and anyway it was too big unless you carry a handbag)

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

anyway it was too big unless you carry a handbag

I couldn't be without my manbag, I need it to carry  my wallet, phone, multi-tool, torch, keys,sanitiser and masks. ;)

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Are you sure it isn't a wheelbarrow you need?    :D

Surely, at this time of the year most men are starting to wear garments which have plenty of pockets for the carriage of such items.

I kept my data with Yahoo, but they gave away all their customer's usernames and passwords.

I kept my data in the Cloud, but Trump decided that China had infiltrated the Cloud and closed it down.

I kept my data on an external hard drive, but when my old computer failed, my new one could not be connected to it.

I kept my data on my computer, but Apple (or was it Microsoft?) upgraded my software and I could no longer access it.

I kept my data on paper under the bed, but when they came to take me away, they wouldn't let me take the bed.

Edited by system 4-50
  • Greenie 3
  • Happy 1