Boat Dwellers Accommodation Needs Assessment

TheGoose

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

I'm interested in and thinking about planning for residential moorings because of the new white paper (among other things) - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/planning-for-the-future

Section 124 of the Housing and Planning Act 2016 requires councils (where relevant) to make an assessment of the needs of boat dwellers residing in or resorting to their district ( https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2016/22/section/124/enacted) 

Has anyone ever been asked about their needs for this purpose please? If so, could you tell me what planning district you're in?

Any other thoughts about planning for residential moorings welcome. Especially, whether people think that a specific planning policy would be useful? The Planning Policy for Traveller Sites is here - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/457420/Final_planning_and_travellers_policy.pdf

Thanks very much, 

The Goose

Edited by TheGoose
to try to make the links work!

Just out of interest wherabouts in the country are you ?

Send me your email address and I'll send you some information that may help.

People living afloat: a specific household group People living on their boat as their sole or main place of residence are identified by the Government as an example of a household group. “Strategic Housing Market Assessments – Practice Guidance” by the Department for Communities and Local Government (DCLG) published in March 2007 to support PPS 3, refers to barges used for residential purposes as a different type of accommodation and minority and hard to reach household group, under chapter 6 on “Housing Requirements of Specific Household Groups”. Living afloat contributes towards increased choice in housing types and lifestyle and social inclusion. No comprehensive survey of this household group has been undertaken so it is not possible to establish the actual percentage of the total housing accommodation in England and Wales that this household group represents.

Housing is generally the responsibility of local authorities, whereas navigation authorities have no statutory duties relating to the provision of housing. People living afloat need to be taken into account by local authorities as part of their housing needs assessments, in consultation with navigation authorities. Where the supply of residential moorings is identified as an issue within a particular housing needs assessment, it is important that the associated land use implications are addressed within the statutory development plan as part of the plan preparation and/or review process. Figure 1 below shows (although not to scale) the conceptual overlap between the housing and waterway sectors. 2.4 Policies of the principal inland navigation authorities ..........................

45 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Is there some reason you prefer to use pm s, this is a forum for sharing news and views? 

Maybe if the forum allowed you to post Pdf's then more people could benefit from my library of manuals, legal cases, and documents.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Skeg said:

Arse.

He can be yes.

But not on this occasion. The forum software doesnt allow the uploading of pdf documents. Thats just a fact.

(Oh and a joke.....)

Edited by The Happy Nomad

6 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

He can be yes.

But not on this occasion. The forum software doesnt allow the uploading of pdf documents. Thats just a fact.

(Oh and a joke.....)

Anyone with half a brain can work around that.

That looks like a neverspacher to me. 

The best way to show a .pdf would be to provide a link to where it is online..

If it's not online somewhere then be suspicious..

Edited by magnetman

37 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Many of my 'legal documents' and decsions have been sent to me, I have no 'links'

Often googling the title of the document  will find them.

That said, I also do appreciate how much effort you put into trying to help and educate people when you have the information to hand.

Keep it up please, and ignore the tw[aeiou]ts ...

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink
  • Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Maybe takes a whole one to see why loading huge PDFs onto a forum read mostly on phones and while travelling using mobile data, is a bad idea. Some rules are there for a reason.

Pdf's of any size are banned, I asked why, and apparently the owners consider Pdf's to be a 'virus-transmitting risk' so have been stopped from being posted.

The size issue - I can understand, if it is based on a number of members using mobile data (of which I am one) but is it more a storage / capacity issue rather than consideration for the users ?