Guilt by Association

Mac of Cygnet

Featured Posts

This from the Times today:

At the age of 15 Clinton Bowen was dubbed Canal Boat Boy after social services sought to cure him of his criminal instincts by sending him on a holiday on the waterways.

The effort at restorative justice, taken back in 1997, proved divisive and turned Bowen, along with others who received similar treatment, into a tabloid phenomenon. More than two decades on, it has also proven unsuccessful.

Bowen was jailed this week for his part in a £127,000 theft of jewellery and artifacts from Sudeley Castle, where gifts from Edward VII to his mistress Alice Keppel, the Duchess of Cornwall’s great-grandmother, were on display.

I don't remember Canal Boat Boy, but it seems canal boat holidays lead to a criminal career.

Typical 'soft justice' sen 'em on a nice holiday, next time they want a holiday they just break the law again.

Borstel - that was the answer.

Abolishing the under the 1982 Criminal Justice Act was a act of Folly.

Lock 'em up !!

"Bring Back Borstal" was set up to question why the system — abolished in 1982 —
was so effective in preventing criminals from reoffending.

Just three out of ten young offenders who went through its doors broke the law
again — while nearly three-quarters of youngsters leaving prison now
reoffend within 12 months.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There was also for younger offenders, "my school must be good, it's approved"  (For those too young to understand there were "Approved School" for younger people.

• Happy 1

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

This from the Times today:

At the age of 15 Clinton Bowen was dubbed Canal Boat Boy after social services sought to cure him of his criminal instincts by sending him on a holiday on the waterways.

The effort at restorative justice, taken back in 1997, proved divisive and turned Bowen, along with others who received similar treatment, into a tabloid phenomenon. More than two decades on, it has also proven unsuccessful.

Bowen was jailed this week for his part in a £127,000 theft of jewellery and artifacts from Sudeley Castle, where gifts from Edward VII to his mistress Alice Keppel, the Duchess of Cornwall’s great-grandmother, were on display.

I don't remember Canal Boat Boy, but it seems canal boat holidays lead to a criminal career.

Should have sent him to Borstal then he would have probably been killing people and dealing drugs

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Typical 'soft justice' sen 'em on a nice holiday, next time they want a holiday they just break the law again.

Borstel - that was the answer.

Abolishing the under the 1982 Criminal Justice Act was a act of Folly.

Lock 'em up !!

"Bring Back Borstal" was set up to question why the system — abolished in 1982 —
was so effective in preventing criminals from reoffending.

Privatising the probation service didn't help much. And i suspect that a lot more than 3 out of 10 broke the law again - they'd just learned enough tricks inside so they didn't get caught! 

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, Victor Vectis said:

Said in the Torygraph that 'social services sent him on a canal boat holiday that cost the taxpayer £12,000'

I know hiring can be seen as expensive, but £12 grand, and in 1997?

He had 12 minders and a back-up support staff of another 12 to cover shift changes.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

And i suspect that a lot more than 3 out of 10 broke the law again - they'd just learned enough tricks inside so they didn't get caught! 

Perhaps they are the ones who don't pay licence fees or cc up tributaries

Oh I'm in so much trouble now ?

• 2 weeks later...

Heswall Nautical Training School (Approved School) trained inmates to join the Merchant Navy. Once they were at sea,the potential for mischeif was much trduced. Do we have a Merchant Navy now?Seem to be very few British crew members on ships visiting our ports.