Harecastle Tunnel Booking System

Jerra

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Correct, I haven't moored there since it was introduced. I don't object to paying to be in a marina or basin, thats my choice, but I don't intend to pay for a towpath mooring. As for free electricity I have no use for it.

Same here. You get just enough free time to nip into town, do your shopping and shove off. Otherwise all the moorings, inc the towpath ones where you get hit by boats fairly often, all have to be paid for. It's a precedent, that's all.

You pay the same in Llangollen  for the basin and online, and all the mooring have unmetered electricity and water included in the charge.

I thought in winter when they don’t charge,and presumably you can stay 14 days, that the electricity was turned off, perhaps I am wrong on that.

10 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You pay the same in Llangollen  for the basin and online, and all the mooring have unmetered electricity and water included in the charge.

I thought in winter when they don’t charge,and presumably you can stay 14 days, that the electricity was turned off, perhaps I am wrong on that.

maybe 4 winters  ago the  lecky was switched on and free  

I didn’t need it mind. 
But the  moorings were full and everyone else was on hook up for nowt.

I’m on about the towpath mooring  

Edited by Goliath

23 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am not an early starter so going north I moor at the tunnel overnight, but going south I have no desire to moor at the tunnel mouth overnight so I have to allow time to do locks before I get to the tunnel, this means starting around 2 hours before my normal cruising hours, not something I enjoy doing.  

Just book a passage two hours later, plenty of time to get p from say Bed Bull for the lunchtime passage

5 hours ago, frangar said:

They are already charging for the Lift....you have to book so you have to pay....Ive made my thoughts on this known repeatedly to CRT management..I wont be surprised if they introduce charges for harecastle....Its sad the cut is becoming a theme park where you have to pay for the exciting bits rather than a navigation.

It is still less than they charged when it first opened. Standedge Tunnel was the same. It was £25 a passage when it first reopened CRT scrapped that charge and the charge for Anderton at the same time and now charge a booking fee. As far as I know, you can still turn up at Anderton and talk to the office and they will put you on the next free slot free of charge, but you may have to wait a while

3 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

Just book a passage two hours later, plenty of time to get p from say Bed Bull for the lunchtime passage

Could be tight, there were queues of 4 there the other day when we were there and you have 3 locks and a good half mile to do.

2 minutes ago, captain birdseye said:

It is still less than they charged when it first opened. Standedge Tunnel was the same. It was £25 a passage when it first reopened CRT scrapped that charge and the charge for Anderton at the same time and now charge a booking fee. As far as I know, you can still turn up at Anderton and talk to the office and they will put you on the next free slot free of charge, but you may have to wait a while

Is the office open?

I thought the online booking was to avoid having to have staff back off furlough, covid and all that 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Could be tight, there were queues of 4 there the other day when we were there and you have 3 locks and a good half mile to do.

Now I’m confused

Booking is to assure a passage

So it don’t matter what the queue is?

Does it?

Surely they wouldn’t over book ?

43 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Is the office open?

I thought the online booking was to avoid having to have staff back off furlough, covid and all that 

Now I’m confused

Booking is to assure a passage

So it don’t matter what the queue is?

Does it?

Surely they wouldn’t over book ?

Queues at the locks, the ones you have to get through in your 2 hours to reach the tunnel 

Come on. How long does it take to get from Kidsgrove services to the tunnel? We were the only boat going north and the second boat in a convoy of four going south despite starting from Congleton at nine o'clock in the morning. 

I really don't see the problem. I turned up last year and had to wait for over an hour. Scheduled passage is much better. I would prefer that there ones in the afternoon as well though.

10 hours ago, captain birdseye said:

No you can't, not now and probably not again. Officially, anyway.

8 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

Come on. How long does it take to get from Kidsgrove services to the tunnel? We were the only boat going north and the second boat in a convoy of four going south despite starting from Congleton at nine o'clock in the morning. 

I really don't see the problem. I turned up last year and had to wait for over an hour. Scheduled passage is much better. I would prefer that there ones in the afternoon as well though.

The last sentence says it all. So scheduled isn't better, as you've lost the chance of an afternoon passage. And CRT can halve the cost of manning the tunnel. You think that'll come back?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

No you can't, not now and probably not again. Officially, anyway.

Indeed. There is no facility for just turning up at present. Not surprisingly I’ve been told usage of the lift has fallen....next year if they keep it up I suspect the lock hours will be reduced...and so on. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

Indeed. There is no facility for just turning up at present. Not surprisingly I’ve been told usage of the lift has fallen....next year if they keep it up I suspect the lock hours will be reduced...and so on. 

When we were on the Weaver for a couple of months over the summer, a number of boaters said that CRT were proposing a fairly long stoppage of the lift for renovation. Certainly needs painting. Confirmed by the lift operator but unsure when. A year off at least.

Edited by pearley

54 minutes ago, pearley said:

When we were on the Weaver for a couple of months over the summer, a number of boaters said that CRT were proposing a fairly long stoppage of the lift for renovation. Certainly needs painting. Confirmed by the lift operator but unsure when. A year off at least.

90% of the painting can be carried out with the lift working.  Perhaps CRT should speak to the Forth Bridge painters!.

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Same here. You get just enough free time to nip into town, do your shopping and shove off. Otherwise all the moorings, inc the towpath ones where you get hit by boats fairly often, all have to be paid for. It's a precedent, that's all.

You are allowed to stay until 5pm before moving on.