Porthole liners

LadyG

Featured Posts

Hi, I'm upgrading the interior by adding oak trim, and I wonder if it is worthwhile lining the portholes, with oak, there are four, should I go for something off the peg, say an  inch deep, or something else .... Thinking about n'added value'

Tx

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Hi, I'm upgrading the interior by adding oak trim, and I wonder if it is worthwhile lining the portholes, with oak, there are four, should I go for something off the peg, say an  inch deep, or something else .... Thinking about n'added value'

Tx

One option, that gives privacy, keeps bedrooms dark during Summer evenings, keeps it warmer during Winter

IMG-1534.jpg

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, LadyG said:

Tx

I am not sure adding oak trim anywhere inside a boat will add anything to its value but you never know.

Haggis

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

One option, that gives privacy, keeps bedrooms dark during Summer evenings, keeps it warmer during Winter

IMG-1534.jpg

That would work for one of them, but don't think it suits the cabin style,  I just stuff a cushion in porthole, I have lots of cushions! 

1 hour ago, haggis said:

I am not sure adding oak trim anywhere inside a boat will add anything to its value but you never know.

Haggis

I have painted all the rough ply lining which makes it quite light, bright and spacious, the oak trim plus solid oak skirting,  make it look quite smart, a lot of hand work, yes it's not your traditional cabin interior, to do that, I would have had to rip out the interior and start again.

I am confident it has made it a much more attractive proposition, anyway, I'm a year or two away from selling, but want to make sure any extras will be worthwhile, the portholes don't all line up with the ply panels, so I have to work around that problem. 

Prices seem to be spiralling day by day, for no particular reason, but it does encourage me to continue the upgrade, if prices were falling, it would have the reverse effect. 

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Stainless steel dog bowls are really cheap and can also be used to make very good coolie hats for stove chimneys.

Jen

Thanks, but I want to add value, might try the dog bowl in the loo, but as it happens, I don't have a tool shed available, so would end up paying for the work to be done, so probably go for oak trim, Also portholes are larger than any dog bowls I have seen recently

Cat bowl will do OK to prevent rain going down flue when chimney is removed.  Tx

Edited by LadyG

4 hours ago, LadyG said:

Thanks, but I want to add value, might try the dog bowl in the loo, but as it happens, I don't have a tool shed available, so would end up paying for the work to be done, so probably go for oak trim, Also portholes are larger than any dog bowls I have seen recently

Cat bowl will do OK to prevent rain going down flue when chimney is removed.  Tx

I use a cake tin to cover the flue outlet.  The first one a bought was a disaster as it had a push up base which being non stick would not glue back in place.  

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

When the stoves not alight it should be kept vented to prevent internal rust. A coolie hat and leaving the stoves bottom air control open or door ajar.

I leave a small gap between my cap and the pipe to allow air circulation but I would not leave it too open or you may get a bird nest in the spring.

Oak goes black if it gets wet, and if you are lucky it can be removed with oxalic acid.

Best to use ash or similar rather than oak.

IIRC a company used to make convincing oak look alike liners from fibreglass to avoid the blackening problem.

1 hour ago, Sea Dog said:

You do remember correctly -Wesley Windows. :)

Most boats with wooden liners start looking a bit poorly after a few years even if they do not suffer from condensation, our grp (wood effect) liners from Wesley have been perfect for the job

4 hours ago, Phoenix_V said:

Most boats with wooden liners start looking a bit poorly after a few years even if they do not suffer from condensation, our grp (wood effect) liners from Wesley have been perfect for the job

Saw them at a show somewhere, they looked impressive

• 1 year later...
On 16/10/2020 at 08:32, haggis said:

Haggis

It looks a lot better than it did with the original rough ply unfinished, I've painted all the sides and the deckhead, used 2 inch wide oak trim, but the portholes are lined with plastic edging, and look rubbish. 

On 16/10/2020 at 21:14, George and Dragon said:

It really does. And hard work to clean, even with oxalic acid. Don't ask how I know.

I intend to use clear two pack epoxy which is waterproof

Edited by LadyG

On 17/10/2020 at 13:24, Phoenix_V said:

I have tried to contact this company without success, lovely website but no way of contacting them, website won't accept my details, email and they have no phone or email. 

Ideal shiny port hole liners can be made quite cheaply and include a good feed, just visit a supermarket choose from all the various sized pie, deserts ect in aluminium dishes. After you;ve gobbled up the contents cut the bottom out of the tray leaving the sides and fansy rim and try for size at the porthole, if too big cut down one side so it overlaps itself, insert and stick it in.   PS. Take a tape measure to the shop to get the right sizes, Also excellent for a bezzel around the flue pipe at the ceiling.