‘Unlocking’ the challenge of London’s congested waterways

Ray T

Featured Posts

PRESS RELEASE

15th October 2020  

‘Unlocking’ the challenge of London’s congested waterways

As people continue to move onto the water, the 200-year old Regent’s Canal and London’s other waterways have never been so popular

The Canal & River Trust is starting a discussion with boaters and other stakeholders on how to manage the busy London waterways. Against the backdrop of a record high and growing boat numbers in the capital, the charity is asking what approach should be taken for managing very congested areas, and how respondents can help.

Over the past decade the Trust has seen the number of boats using the London waterways more than double [1] to a record high and this trend is continuing. 2020 sees the Regent’s Canal celebrate its 200th birthday and it, together with London’s other former industrial waterways, have never been more popular.

Without additional measures to manage the areas of highest demand, it is likely that the ever-growing number of boats will impact on everyone’s enjoyment of the waterways.

Boaters and other stakeholders are invited to share their views, using an online survey or in writing, and the Trust will be holding virtual meetings online to hear ideas and answer questions.  This initial engagement will take place between mid-October 2020 and early January 2021.

In 2018 the Trust published the London Mooring Strategy to help manage the London waterways safely and fairly. The strategy acknowledged that if boat numbers continued to rise then additional measures to manage boats in the busiest areas would need to be investigated to ensure the waterways are managed safely, provide an enjoyable customer experience, and are available fairly for everyone.

In parts of central and inner London, mooring space and boater facilities are already under pressure. The Trust has no legal powers to stop or restrict the number of licensed boats on the water, so creative solutions to help manage growing boat numbers are necessary to address these challenges. With a growing liveaboard boating population, and increased recreational and leisure use, the number of people wanting to use the waterways continues to rise. All boaters and stakeholders need to work together to ensure they are managed sustainably for the future.

Ros Daniels, director for London & the South East at Canal & River Trust, said: “London’s waterways are busier today than at the height of the Industrial Revolution.  They provide something for everyone. They bring nature and free access to valuable green and blue space to relax, de-stress, and exercise to many people. They’re a fascinating reminder of our industrial heritage and, of course, they allow the opportunity to boat, and moor up, in the heart of the capital. 

“However, this popularity comes with challenges. The rise in boat numbers in some parts of London is unsustainable and is putting a significant strain on the 200-year old canals, as well as the facilities that were never designed for this type and volume of use. Finding a mooring can be a real issue, and the high number of boats in some areas can lead to unsafe mooring practises and cause a danger to others. There is also increasingly the potential for conflict between all the different interests and ways people interact with the waterways. We need to address this.”

Matthew Symonds, national boating manager at Canal & River Trust, said: “We need boaters, and other people who are invested in London’s waterways, to help us decide upon a way to manage the space so we can ensure the canals are safe and fairly available to everyone.  Please take part in our survey or come to one of our virtual meetings to share your views.”

Information about the survey and virtual meetings can be found here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/about-us/where-we-work/london-and-south-east/managing-boats-on-londons-busy-waterways.

-ends-

For further media requests please contact:

Fran Read, Canal & River Trust

m 07418 098 195 e fran.read@canalrivertrust.org.uk 

[1] National boat count in London all boats 2010: 2101 – 2019: 4274; boats without a permanent mooring 2010: 413 – 2019: 2208

Edited by Ray T

The boats aren't really 'using' the waterways, they are just homes that happen to float. I'd assume most have no interest in the water they are just looking for affordable housing, so the problem is as a result of other issues which CRT have no control.

It would take something drastic to control this - maybe only permit long term mooring in marinas? 

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Getting rid of the 7000 boats CCing around the London area would be in contravention of their mission to attract people to the waterways.

So meetings, consultations,  and then nothing will happen except for expensive legal challenges.

But But But, their KPI's are getting increasing numbers on the towpath, and reducing the number of day the TOWPATH is closed.

There are no KPI's for keeping the navigation open or increasing the number of boat licences issued.

Absolutely no 'navigation targets' !!!

Screenshot (8).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Wh

4 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

A 'simple way' to restrict mooring is to make it physically impossible to moor -

completely concrete over the footpath edges

Remove the ARMCO strips

Dump concrete blocks to make it awkward to moor

Why? In what way would that be an improvement?

MP.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Something they could legally do - make all moorings 24 or 48 hours. Plenty of time for 'visitors' to have a look around, and then move onto the next attraction.

Interesting, and I'm sympathetic to the idea, but if it is mildly chaotic now, imagine what it would be like with in excess of 2000 boats moving every 24/48 hours, all playing'swap the mooring' with their mates - or all doing what I personally think would happen - they would all sit tight and dare C&RT to Section 8 (I think that's what it is called) all of them, rater than do as they do now, which is basically pay lip service to C&RT by moving every two or three weeks.

The only way I see a resolution is to make a license condition that every boat in London has a permanent mooring. If that means more marina's, then so be it. It doesn't matter how it is sliced up, London is a special case,so needs a London based resolution. C&RT need more teeth, and the will to use them. I know it would be difficult to administer, but the revenue produced would go a long way to helping find a way to run it.

• Greenie 2

6 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

Interesting, and I'm sympathetic to the idea, but if it is mildly chaotic now, imagine what it would be like with in excess of 2000 boats moving every 24/48 hours, all playing'swap the mooring' with their mates

I think the general idea is to make it unpleasant so people either go somewhere else or leave the canals.   Can you imagine moving in the depths of winter either before or after work.

- or all doing what I personally think would happen - they would all sit tight and dare C&RT to Section 8 (I think that's what it is called) all of them, rater than do as they do now, which is basically pay lip service to C&RT by moving every two or three weeks.

How far down a list of say 7000 do you think they would need to work before the others got the message?

The only way I see a resolution is to make a license condition that every boat in London has a permanent mooring. If that means more marina's, then so be it.

I can't imagine how much the land in London would cost to make enough marinas for 7000 boats, or even if there is that much available.

Couple with that the fact that boaters squeal loudly at additional T&Cs let alone changes in licence requirements.

It doesn't matter how it is sliced up, London is a special case,so needs a London based resolution. C&RT need more teeth, and the will to use them. I know it would be difficult to administer, but the revenue produced would go a long way to helping find a way to run it.

I basically agree with this.

25 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

The only way I see a resolution is to make a license condition that every boat in London has a permanent mooring.

Unfortunately C&RT do not have the power to do that - the 1995 Act gives the boater a choice of which route they use to be granted a licence :

1) declare a home mooring

2) declare no-home mooring

When a corporation is formed it can only do what it is given the power to do, if the powers are not granted it is prohibited for them to try and take those powers.

Attorney-General v. Great Eastern Railway Co. (1880) 5 App.Cas. 473, Lord Blackburn said, at p. 481: 'where there is an Act of Parliament creating a corporation for a particular purpose, and giving it powers for that particular purpose, what it does not expressly or impliedly authorise is to be taken to be prohibited; ...'

C&RT do not have the authority to re-write the 1995 Act and add additional licence conditions.

either—

(i)the Board are satisfied that a mooring or other place where the vessel can reasonably be kept and may lawfully be left will be available for the vessel, whether on an inland waterway or elsewhere; or

(ii)the applicant for the relevant consent satisfies the Board that the vessel to which the application relates will be used bona fide for navigation throughout the period for which the consent is valid without remaining continuously in any one place for more than 14 days or such longer period as is reasonable in the circumstances.

8 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Build a Shroppie Shelf along the canal edge of the Regents. ?

Oh, yes - that was the object of 'my' concrete blocks - but yours is a more elegant way to do it  / explain it!

11 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Build a Shroppie Shelf along the canal edge of the Regents. ?

I recently had a brief for a job that asked me to consider "how to make mooring difficult" (this was against private land) - the answer I gave was I can make it difficult but short of mines hidden under the "shroppie shelf"" I've no way of making it impossible. 

5 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

If the 1995 Act will not allow a solution then its time for a 2020 Act that will. There is Always a solution if the will is there to find it.

There is no will to produce a new Act.

Parliament is going to be a bit busy for the next few years with ever changing regulations for Covid and Brexit.

Finding a few years (I think the 1995 Act actually was first put before Parliament in 1990) to discuss the future of a few boaters will not be on the top of the 'to do list'.

Such a good idea you should post it twice !!

4 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

I recently had a brief for a job that asked me to consider "how to make mooring difficult" (this was against private land) - the answer I gave was I can make it difficult but short of mines hidden under the "shroppie shelf"" I've no way of making it impossible. 

• Greenie 1

I've boated regularly through London for the last three years (three - six months at a time).  The only area in which I haven't been able to moor against the towpath at the first time of looking is Camden to Islington tunnel - twice in five passages...

In terms of passing through the centre of town, the problem is Regents Park - there are no rings or moorings available from Lisson Grove to Camden, and with only 4 berths available above Camden locks, it makes for a minimum of 3 hours on the water before any mooring becomes possible.  The high voltage lines under the towpath are now decommissioned, so the work to remove them gives an ideal opportunity to create another mile or so of moorings (~160).  But see below!

There _are_ many boats on the canals there; the real issue is the lack of sanitary facilities - not helped by Limehouse Marina preventing non-residents from using theirs this year.  There are no facilities between Little Venice at Paddington and St Pancras.  Don't even ask about pumpouts...

In my two month lock-down sojourn in Mile End it was clear that only about 25% of boats were lived on, the rest were ghost boats (with about 1 in 3 being visited occasionally, and the rest not at all in that time).

So much for boaters - what about other stakeholders?

Anglers - seen plenty on the Paddington Arm, Regents (East of Hackney) and Lee.  Again, Regents Park is a ghost town.

Walkers, Joggers, Cyclists - everywhere, all the time, except on the Lee north of the Olympic Park.  But that's where the muggers take over....

Local residents - I don't know.  Presumably they also form the previous category.

So what to do?  Create more and better sanitary facilities, enforce movement and licensing (and make sure new owners get the rules).  Make sure that problems are dealt with and not left to fester by not talking to local councils or neighbours.  I was there when the idiot burned whatever it was below the St Mary's Hospital air intakes - all of us dobbed the twat in to CRT, but we still lost those four spots in the basin. 

In the end though, I suspect CRT will create zones to be moved through (with lots of lovely new logo'd signs in plastic zip-tied to random railings) and then fail to enforce them on a timescale of 'have we got a decade-long grant from DEFRA yet?'

16 minutes ago, DaveP said:

There _are_ many boats on the canals there; the real issue is the lack of sanitary facilities - not helped by Limehouse Marina preventing non-residents from using theirs this year.  There are no facilities between Little Venice at Paddington and St Pancras.  Don't even ask about pumpouts...

In Post #3 I was going to suggest the removal of all sanitary facilities along with the removal of waterpoints, but decided that it was most likely that the 'boaters' would just tip-it-overboard having no consideration for other water users, and, giving even less reasons to need to move, As justification they would get the Baton-Twirlers legal experts to quote the court cases where Thames water have, on 'numerous occasions' discharged millions of litres or raw sewage into the Thames.

Why should a private owned marina want anyone and everyone using their facilities ?

Would you be happy if a bus-tour stopped outside your door and said we've come to use your toilet ?

If the ghost percentage is really that high, I struggle to understand why people do this, rather than selling the boat.  There are many nicer places in the country to keep a boat if you just want the odd day trip. Maybe they have gone to live with someone on the bank and are keeping the boat as insurance policy in case of relationship breakdown. But 75% of them??  Are there any facts on this issue, I wonder.

3 minutes ago, Mike Tee said:

I can understand the ghost percentage being high during lockdown - if you don't have to go in to work, move back home with the parents and live off them while you work from home!!

Yes, I'd not thought of that point.  I guess we should focus on the longer term percentage of ghosts. 

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In Post #3 I was going to suggest the removal of all sanitary facilities along with the removal of waterpoints, but decided that it was most likely that the 'boaters' would just tip-it-overboard having no consideration for other water users, and, giving even less reasons to need to move, As justification they would get the Baton-Twirlers legal experts to quote the court cases where Thames water have, on 'numerous occasions' discharged millions of litres or raw sewage into the Thames.

Why should a private owned marina want anyone and everyone using their facilities ?

Would you be happy if a bus-tour stopped outside your door and said we've come to use your toilet ?

Limehouse Marina facilities were open to all.  Then BWML was sold off.  There was no announcement, just a refusal to service.  COVID given as an excuse.

14 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

If the ghost percentage is really that high, I struggle to understand why people do this, rather than selling the boat.  There are many nicer places in the country to keep a boat if you just want the odd day trip. Maybe they have gone to live with someone on the bank and are keeping the boat as insurance policy in case of relationship breakdown. But 75% of them??  Are there any facts on this issue, I wonder.

Having spoken to a fair few of the boaters when they did visit, this is the case - one partner owns the boat, the other lives on the hard.  Lockdown kept them both on land.  In several instances, because we were not near a pumpout and their tank was brimming....  As to those who never visited - I don't know. 

Don't forget, the demographic of London boating is radically different to the rest of the country - there are a lot more young people....