Who has a dog on board?

RareDigs

Featured Posts

A huge proportion of liveaboards have dogs and often hobby boaters too. All ours have loved the boating life, better than being cooped up in some house or garden. Non have swam in the canal but when ccing they have all loved the different location to sniff round every day or so.

Zeus, our rescue GSD, on his first boat trip back in 2015.

He doesn't swim voluntarily in the cut, but has fallen in off our end of garden moorings a few times when we first got him.

Took him a while to judge his braking point when chasing ducks!

Zeus in chair 24 08 15.jpg

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers
  • Love 1

44 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Zeus, our rescue GSD, on his first boat trip back in 2015.

He doesn't swim voluntarily in the cut, but has fallen in off our end of garden moorings a few times when we first got him.

Took him a while to judge his braking point when chasing ducks!

Zeus in chair 24 08 15.jpg

Gorgeous dog.

Taken a couple of years ago.

6BA7E902-E38B-4CF2-9642-A9529EDBC176.jpeg

Edited by Nightwatch
To add, ours are the two JRTs.

Millie, who loved the boating life, now residing at Rainbow Bridge.

IMG_0004.jpeg.e7e28adc5cc0576ebc88a7b33c6aae85.jpeg

Belle, didn't like the boat at first but more relaxed now.

IMGP4176.JPG.7b5555d39c16a15b724eea024127e5fc.JPG

Neither of them showed / have shown any inclination to swim in the cut. We did however take them both to a canine pool for swimming lessons so it wouldn't be a great shock if they fell in, which both have.

Edited by Ray T
  • Love 1

We have a Sydney onboard. He loves being on the boat and around water in general but does fall in on a regular basis. Fortunately he is bright enough to swim to the back of the boat where we can scoop him out, and his legs are not long enough to go anywhere near the props!!

20200807-195729.jpg

20180726-144948.jpg

20201007-142044.jpg

20200822-152541.jpg

He is a bit of a speed freak and prefers it when the boat is going fast.

20180526-080812.jpg

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1

15 hours ago, RareDigs said:

How does your pooch get along on board? Do you CC with it? Does it swim in the canal? 

Post pics of your woofers below! 

Fine yeah, seems to enjoy the different places we stay and varied walks. Yes. No.

I was going to post a photo of Meg , our lookout dog, but it is too big and being on my phone I don't know how to reduce it. We are out on Kelpie, doing the four counties ring (anti clockwise) and if we meet you will probably see her in the flesh. 

Haggis

This is my dog Toby.  He is 13 years old now.  Been onboard with me for the last 4 years.  He happily sits on the sliding hatch in front of me when cruising.  He hates locks and jumps off as we approach. He then jumps back on as i close the gate.  He loves to paddle - but only if he can see the bottom.  On all our journeys around the country he always seems to remember our walks when we moor someplace we have been before - even if it was years ago!

Toby.jpg.634930558f3117916517dc38a75fbda7.jpg

• Greenie 1

Making space on a boat, in order of difficulty:

01.  Drink the beer.

02. Take the coal out of the shower and put it on the roof.

03. Have just the one suitcase for poo instead of two or more.

04. Junk the vinyl collection.

05. Tidy up.

06. Get a cratch.

07. Get a pramhood.

08. Diet.

09. Offload the wife.

10. Offload the dog.

• Love 1

We have had 3 Airedale’s on our boats. The first one came with us to Ireland when we took the NB there and the next one spent half of his life on the continent. Very adaptable dogs who didn’t care to swim which we didn’t mind as wet dogs on boats not the best idea. A vet many years ago told us not to let them swim in canals due to the unknown quality of the water.

3E0DB4DF-8F42-4B0D-898E-5C936FA42CCE.jpeg

40C457A4-298D-44AF-8598-7229684B3489.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of ours helped me to build a set of steps for Alfie, (Springer Spaniel, died June last year :( ). Much shallower than the ladder type steps that we built the new ones round, so much easier for him. Also helped him, (and our other dog, - see above), to get on and off the bed.

In his last 6 months we got a Ruffwear "lifejacket", which has a good handle and spread the load on his chest, so we could help him on and off things.

My wife said that what we did gave him 6 months extra life than he might have had.