Cleaning Kabola Old Dutch Oil Drip Stove

cuthound

Featured Posts

So, after 6 years my Kabola Old Dutch oil drip stove has begun to burn with a yellow flame that I have been unable to get get to burn blue by adjusting the high flame screw.

Obviously it must be lack of oxygen rather than too much fuel because the high flame screw is now on its lowest setting.

Using my latest gadget, a small mirror with LEDs on a telescopic stick I have found a series of small air holes at the bottom the burner pot and also behind the larger air holes in the burner pot.

I have never cleaned these before because I didn't know they were there. They are behind the burner pot with the larger air holes in it and almost inaccessible. There is about a 10mm gap between the burner pot and these small holes, which is open at the bottom of the stove.

Any ideas as to how best to clean them?

I have ordered these, but it may be almost impossible to access the small holes without removing and dismantling the stove, which I don't want to do.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Upgraded-Cleaners-Cleaning-unblocker-Bathroom/dp/B07RWS6JRR/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=small+brush+set&qid=1602675242&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzN1U1VVZOVkxOMko4JmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTI2NjQ3M0NOTzk0U1ZGUDRZUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjEyMzMyMThaUE9PREM4WTI5USZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX3Bob25lX3NlYXJjaF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Here is a second photo showing the location of the holes at the bottom of the burner pot. 

One of the holes can be seen reflected in the mirror.

20201014_122000.jpg

20201014_122134.jpg

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

I used to clean all the holes in mine, even the very tiny ones with a drill bit of the correct size, just roll it between your fingers whilst poking it through the hole. You may need to shorten the shank on the larger drill/hole sizes  to get them into the pot.

Edited by Loddon

2 hours ago, Loddon said:

I used to clean all the holes in mine, even the very tiny ones with a drill bit of the correct size, just roll it between your fingers whilst poking it through the hole. You may need to shorten the shank on the larger drill/hole sizes  to get them into the pot.

Yes that is how I have been cleaning the row of small holes at the top of the burning pot.

The problem with the ones further down is seeing where you put the drill bit.

There simply isn't enough room for the mirror and my hand, and without the mirror I cannot see where to put the drill bit as the holes are not visible without it.

1 hour ago, Loddon said:

You are going to have to do it by feel start small and work up until you get to the right size. Once you have worked out the size then long drill bits are available to make twisting easier.

I'm hoping the small flue brushes I have ordered can be persuaded to fit in the gap between the burning pot (with the large holes in it) and whatever is being it with the small holes in it, and then some of the bristles with clear the small holes.

If not I'll have to find someone conversant in Braille to feel for the holes and clean them. ?

2 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you disconnect the oil feed and thermocouple, you should be able to undo the screw at the top and lift the pot out. You wil also be able to clean out the oil feed pipe which gets pretty rammy.

Thanks, I'll give it a try if the small flue brush doesn't work.

Hi,

I had a similar problem with my OD4, and it developed a pinprick hole in the base, A complete overhaul was needed, a new burner pot was sourced. Kabola says the pot can be removed via the top. that's cobblers, the best way is to remove the fire as the burner pot will only come out from the bottom. It's fairly easy to remove the fire, 2 bolts secure the drip tray from the black round cover. I have attached some pictures showing the burner pot and holes.

I will attach some pictures showing the operation later, a year ago I fitted a new carb. spares for the burner pot and a new mica glass cost about £300, this also included a new cage, carb was £200 on top of that, but I ended up with a virtually new heater.

My fire also provides hot water.

• Greenie 1

Well I managed to clean all of the holes using the brush set from Amazon mentioned in the first post.

I used the largest brush, bent into a "U" shape to clean the gap between the burner pot and the outer case, and then two sizes of smaller brush (bent into "L"  shapes) to clean the all of the holes except for those at the very bottom of the burner pot.

Much headscratching as to how to get at these was followed by a flash of inspiration. I repurposed Mrs Hounds nylon washing up brush which seems to have done the trick.

Luckily she had a spare as the one I used is no longer clean enough for the dishes! ??