Heyford Common Lock 35, South Oxford

john6767

Featured Posts

I don’t suppose there is anyone with any more information about the stoppage at Heyford Common lock, than the stoppage notice has.  Principally if there is any estimate for the timescale of the repair.

I can’t picture what is like there, but I assume it is poor mooring so I don’t want to get there until I know it is likely to be opening soon.

12 minutes ago, john6767 said:

I can’t picture what is like there, but I assume it is poor mooring so I don’t want to get there until I know it is likely to be opening soon.

Why would you assume "poor mooring"? That is a pretty enough length of canal, and Canalplan even goes out of its way to indicate that it's a good place to monic

41 minutes ago, john6767 said:

You haven't mentioned from which direction you'll be approaching; if from the North, there's attractive mooring, with a view over open pastures, just above Somerton Deep lock. There's a winding hole there too in case the stoppage proves to be lengthy.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

You haven't mentioned from which direction you'll be approaching; if from the North, there's attractive mooring, with a view over open pastures, just above Somerton Deep lock. There's a winding hole there too in case the stoppage proves to be lengthy.

Agreed but must mention ya cant turn a whole boat at somerton deep winding hole.

10 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Agreed but must mention ya cant turn a whole boat at somerton deep winding hole.

We turned all of ours.:D

Canalplan reckons that boats up to 60 feet in length can turn there. I don't know how long John's boat is.

Edited by Athy

21 minutes ago, Athy said:

We turned all of ours.:D

Canalplan reckons that boats up to 60 feet in length can turn there. I don't know how long John's boat is.

Ive turned 65 there some years ago and there was a bit?? of space ? spose it depends on silt and vegetation at present. Edit to add that the winding hole in the Cleeves just south of Lower Heyford states max 60 when in fact I tirned my 70 footer umpeetn times and my friends at 71ft 6in he could squeeze round.

Edited by mrsmelly

31 minutes ago, Athy said:

From the south, I assumed poor mooring as most of those just have a short lock landing below the lock then a rough bank, and I assume there will be quite a number of boats there already belowthe lock as everyone was getting off the Thames at the same time when it came off red.

31 minutes ago, rustynewbery said:

From the south, there's mooring with armco above Allens lock after br203.  Try to Google Earth it if you can and go Satellite view.  I use this a lot when checking for stopping places.

Thanks.

I am waiting for CRT to come back with some estimate of time, if it is short then we will move tomorrow.

1 minute ago, john6767 said:

From the south, I assumed poor mooring as most of those just have a short lock landing below the lock then a rough bank, and I assume there will be quite a number of boats there already belowthe lock as everyone was getting off the Thames at the same time when it came off red.

Thanks.

I am waiting for CRT to come back with some estimate of time, if it is short then we will move tomorrow.

Theres some moorings on armco at the bottom of Heyford common and once out of the top ofthe lock just motor round a couple of bends and there is a long stretch of armco. Take your grass shears though.