Hot Topic : Glue sniffin'

LadyG

Featured Posts

Short on fuel for stove so picked up Eco Logs at ASDA, looks like sawdust compressed with wood glue, smells like it, once they get going they create heat, but no substitute for the real thing ,  and those large black eggs thay sell around here....

£5.50 probably not great value, neither are the ASDA logs in nets, same price 

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Do they still make that, we always had a jar at home when I was a kid, putting patches on trousers was the main use

No idea Brian.  My Dad used to use it to glue carpets, but I seem to recall it was about half ammonia.

Anyone who will sniff ammonia for half an hour trying to get high deserves everything that comes to them!

19 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Anyone who will sniff ammonia for half an hour trying to get high deserves everything that comes to them!

You get that using the old fashioned drawing printing machines.

8 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We use to clean the brushes with Carbon tetrachloride.

Had to use that in my first job washing the grease off connector covers in a bucket of it.

I thought Evostick was the sniffers best friend

Edited by buccaneer66

The eco logs in Asda use molasses as the binding agent. A product like Hotmax is a far better product and cheaper at £4 for 10 kgs. The logs are compressed to higher pressure which means no binding agent is needed. A kg of logs produces 4.7 KW (17 MJ/KG) of heat with very little ash, it’s cleaner, easier and less bulky to handle than coal,

32 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

The eco logs in Asda use molasses as the binding agent. A product like Hotmax is a far better product and cheaper at £4 for 10 kgs. The logs are compressed to higher pressure which means no binding agent is needed. A kg of logs produces 4.7 KW (17 MJ/KG) of heat with very little ash, it’s cleaner, easier and less bulky to handle than coal,

Thanks, I quite like them for reviving stove on a morning, will try to source these hotmax.

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

Thanks, I quite like them for reviving stove on a morning, will try to source these hotmax.

The hotmax site allows you to find a locate a dealer, including ones that deliver. https://suppliers.bedmaxshavings.com/find-a-hotmax-supplier/ Just put in the nearest town to you. 

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

I just add more "coal" with no issues - am I missing something or are you?

If it is in local lockdown, it will often just go in to terminal decline, I find that it needs flames and draught to persuade it to fire up again.

Edited by LadyG

Tesco heat logs  £5 for 12  are pretty good.   I use one on top of the solid fuel 'coal' for a nice heat boost.

The trick to using them is leave them alone once they've turned into a hot ember - in which case they'll last for quite some time.   

Poke them and they'll disintegrate into hot dust and stop providing heat. 

• 3 weeks later...

Cow gum was sadly discontinued a few years ago. "Studio Gum" is more or less equivalent, but is more yellow than transparent, not that it usually matters. 

I found Copydex was not very durable for sticking carpets, lasting less than 5 years. I now use traditional solvent-based Evostik. Repairs by re-glueing the spines of some paperback books more than 50 years ago are still as good as ever, retaining flexibilty and strength.  I just hope they don't change the formulation. 

20201102_125750_001-1.jpg

Edited by Ronaldo47
Further comments

On 13/10/2020 at 22:23, nbfiresprite said:

My mother-in-laws 'old trick' to reviving a failing fire was to thow a cup of sugar on it, pretty much as effective as petrol but without the flash-bang.

Wonder if the molasses is there for a reason ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My mother-in-laws 'old trick' to reviving a failing fire was to thow a cup of sugar on it, pretty much as effective as petrol but without the flash-bang.

Wonder if the molasses is there for a reason ?

I do that and it works fairly well, I also keep a small supply of those tea light things they also work well when thrown onto hot embers

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I do that and it works fairly well, I also keep a small supply of those tea light things they also work well when thrown onto hot embers

I remember my parents using a handful of granulated sugar to revive a fire, I haven't done that for years. We save our candle stubs and put a few of those on our stove if it's sulking.

Dad's invariable way of reviving the fire on a cold morning was to hold a sheet of the previous day's newspaper across the fire 'ole [whose correct name escapes me at the moment], which made it draw well. The trick was to remove the paper when it started to scorch and j-u-s-t before it caught fire.

Edited by Athy

3 hours ago, Athy said:

I remember my parents using a handful of granulated sugar to revive a fire, I haven't done that for years. We save our candle stubs and put a few of those on our stove if it's sulking.

Dad's invariable way of reviving the fire on a cold morning was to hold a sheet of the previous day's newspaper across the fire 'ole [whose correct name escapes me at the moment], which made it draw well. The trick was to remove the paper when it started to scorch and j-u-s-t before it caught fire.

I got caught sending flaming paper up the chimney one evening, mum and dad were out and I spent a fun evening watching the bits fly up the flue, once I heard the parents return I closed the fire door and sat down, all smug and safe completely unaware of all the glowing embers that drifted down on the folks as they walked up the path

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 1