Electric?

andy4502

Featured Posts

Hi Hive mind

So if i went mad and decided to convert my old boat (which probably needs a new engine soon) to electric - who would people recommend i talked to and what would be a rough cost (compared to an engine replacement)?

Edited by andy4502

8 minutes ago, andy4502 said:

Hi Hive mind

So if i went mad and decided to convert my old boat (which probably needs a new engine soon) to electric - who would people recommend i talked to and what would be a rough cost (compared to an engine replacement)?

@peterboat is the man to talk to.

It very much depends on how far you want to move, how big a battery bank you need and how you plan to recharge the batteries

My rough guess would be £8,000 - £10,000 for NEW lithium batteries, but some manage to find some second hand 'low hours' ones.

£3000 for solar panels, Plus the motors, electronic control gear, new charging system etc.

So about 4x or 5x the price of getting a newly rebuilt re-conditioned engine.

Define soon.

One of the well known names in the marine electricals game is currently discussing electric drive supply and install packages with the trade.  Sorry to be vague, but it's currently commercially sensitive information so I can't link or share details.

I am allowed to share that they have been motivated by the governments plan that any boat sold in the UK after 2025 must be able to run at zero emissions as supplied or easily be converted to run as zero emissions ...

• Greenie 1
  • Horror 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Define soon.

One of the well known names in the marine electricals game is currently discussing electric drive supply and install packages with the trade.  Sorry to be vague, but it's currently commercially sensitive information so I can't link or share details.

I am allowed to share that they have been motivated by the governments plan that any boat sold in the UK after 2025 must be able to run at zero emissions as supplied or easily be converted to run as zero emissions ...

At last - someone else who believes what I have been saying for a couple of years.

And from 2030 NO new boat can be sold that is not zero emission drive.

And from 2050 NO boat can be USED in UK waters that is not zero emission.

(It'll never happen, the inland waterways are too set in their ways ............... etc etc etc.)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

2 hours ago, andy4502 said:

Hi Hive mind

Hi mate I have done the electric boat route twice now and am helping someone else do it. In truth its not as expensive or hard as people think especially for a cruiser or narrowboat, my 33 ton widebeam is a different kettle of fish although it works very well for me. Send me a PM with a phone number and I will talk  about the project with you ok?

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

We were quoted £30000 a few months ago to do this on our 70' nb. A proportion of that cost is for a generator, run on diesel, to provide electricity, to charge the batteries.... so that you can then use them to cruise without using diesel. 

That's about what I thought when I suggested 5x the costs of a £6k new engine.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That's about what I thought when I suggested 5x the costs of a £6k new engine.

It's not that expensive Alan honestly but it does require lateral thinking and some good friends who all network together to help others 

1 minute ago, peterboat said:

It's not that expensive Alan honestly but it does require lateral thinking and some good friends who all network together to help others 

I accept it 'can be done' cheaper, but it does rely on 'a mate who knows someone .....................' and 'knowing a guy with some secondhand batteries'.

To start from scratch and with no electrical or electronic knowledge, being reliant on commercially available components the sums involved can be quite staggering.

I think that both you and Dr Bob have the skills and knowledge to make your own electronic 'management systems' - not everyone has those skills.

13 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

We were quoted £30000 a few months ago to do this on our 70' nb. A proportion of that cost is for a generator, run on diesel, to provide electricity, to charge the batteries.... so that you can then use them to cruise without using diesel. 

I think you're a long way over at those numbers for a narrowboat, but as I said earlier I can't be more specific (yet!)

There's a lot of discussion going on, but I think by next year there will be packages well worth considering on the open market.  Probably priced for newbuilds at first, but certainly aimed specifically at replacement diesel engines over the next couple of years.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 1

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

At last - someone else who believes what I have been saying for a couple of years.

And from 2030 NO new boat can be sold that is not zero emission drive.

And from 2050 NO boat can be USED in UK waters that is not zero emission.

(It'll never happen, the inland waterways are too set in their ways ............... etc etc etc.)

I dont disagree. however its not relevant to the vast majority of the forum and at present will not effect the price of second hand/used boats. Doubt if I will be buying a new boat in 2050 as I will most likely like most of the more prolific posters on here be dead. 99.9 percent of they younger ones on here at present will have given up on boating by then.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Doubt if I will be buying a new boat in 2050

Maybe you have misunderstood - it is not a case of buying a NEW boat in 2050, it is a case that NO boat that is NOT ZERO EMISSION (ie, no Petrol, No Diesel, No Hybrid) will be allowed to be used on either the UK's Inland or coastal waters from 2050. All existing diesel / petrol / hybrid boats will be either scrapped or converted to Zero Emission drive.

Come the 2040's diesel powered boats will be almost worthless.

Come 31/12/49 They will be scrap value at best.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Maybe you have misunderstood - it is not a case of buying a NEW boat in 2050, it is a case that NO boat that is NOT ZERO EMISSION (ie, no Petrol, No Diesel, No Hybrid) will be allowed to be used on either the UK's Inland or coastal waters from 2050. All existing diesel / petrol / hybrid boats will be either scrapped or converted to Zero Emission drive.

Come 31/12/50 They will be scrap value at best.

No I understood. it will make bugger all difference to me and most others on her. 20 40 is still twenty years away. I must remember to fit that composting bog..............

Just now, wandering snail said:

No-one has picked up as yet on the absurdity of having to use a diesel gennie to keep it all going.

Oh yes we have. Its a nonsense that will not effect many though. Much like electric cars with " Range extenders " ?

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Come 31/12/50 They will be scrap value at best.

Surely they all become “project boats”...... add a new engine, and Bobs your Uncle!

By then, that could be easier and cheaper than many of today’s “projects”?

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, wandering snail said:

No-one has picked up as yet on the absurdity of having to use a diesel gennie to keep it all going.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I think they have .

That's a major part of the current trade discussion.  Providing ten hour's cruising range today is trivial, but doing it again tomorrow is complicated!

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Surely they all become “project boats”...... add a new engine, and Bobs your Uncle!

By then, that could be easier and cheaper than many of today’s “projects”?

Agreed. It will be the way in the future. The boats we all have now will all be scrap or drive changed over much like replacing old diesel engines at the present.