Scrumbling

dave moore

Featured Posts

I’ve sometimes seen the graining process that I employ on traditional boats referred to as “ Scrumbling” rather than the correct “ Scumbling “. I’m watching Pointless at the moment and one contestant named one of her favourite activities as “ Scrumbling “

When asked to elaborate, she explained it as collecting apples from orchards, with consent. I knew the illicit version as “ scrumping”

as a kid. We live and learn.....

3 minutes ago, dave moore said:

I’ve sometimes seen the graining process that I employ on traditional boats referred to as “ Scrumbling” rather than the correct “ Scumbling “. I’m watching Pointless at the moment and one contestant named one of her favourite activities as “ Scrumbling “

When asked to elaborate, she explained it as collecting apples from orchards, with consent. I knew the illicit version as “ scrumping

Aye, 'tis the same here, darn sarf - but it may be different further East, or West...

27 minutes ago, dave moore said:

one contestant named one of her favourite activities as “ Scrumbling “

When asked to elaborate, she explained it as collecting apples from orchards, with consent. I knew the illicit version as “ scrumping”

Scrambling around to collect them then trundling them home in your wheelbarrow. Blend the words together, and....

I think scumbling is a generic name for paint effects and what you do is actually graining, so to keep our options open we sometimes say scumble graining, but maybe we should say scraining ?

Scrumbling is a lovely word, maybe that's when it goes wrong and you mumble obscenities whilst scumbling.

...............Dave

10 minutes ago, dave moore said:

A bit more white spirit in the scumble oil for me...it’s a bit dark.

I've only been sent the photo so not sure whether it is really that dark or poor lighting when the picture was taken. I think the person doing it was learning as they went along.