Do we have a problem with one of our submarines

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Every 5k miles I believe. Ive just bought a 93 Sportwagon in amazing condition with every single service mostly two a year. Paid less for it than renting some modern turd for about 4 months. Decent performance to say its only 175 horses too.

3k on the engine I had in my 95 estate - so every couple of months.

1 minute ago, magnetman said:

I had a 9000 aero for about 8 years but didn't look after it and I was terrible about racing people from the lights. Sold it to a fusiast who was going to tune it and replaced it with a 2.0 "Turbo Edition" dame Edna 95 which is actually a good motor. 

Nothing like as good as the 9000 in build quality terms but still good. I don't like the GM parts but there we are at least it's still a Saab engine. And a good one. 

I don't do services or maintenance so it will probably end up with a noisy oil pump like my lovely 9000 did. 

Cars are consumables anyway. 

We had an unbadged 93 Viggen - that was just lunacy!

It's all about the gauze on the oil pickup. 

Some were finer than others. 

I've had my dame Edna 95 for about 20k miles now and never changed the oil and the oil pump is not complaining. 

The synchros are going though so I don't think it will last very much longer. 

5 minutes ago, StephenA said:

3k on the engine I had in my 95 estate - so every couple of months.

We had an unbadged 93 Viggen - that was just lunacy!

The Saab APC is quite an interesting thing

If you take the right air pipes off it makes the acceleration go completely mad until the automatic fuel cutout kicks in to protect the engine from leaning out. 

Good for the occasional playing with. 

3 hours ago, magnetman said:

It's all about the gauze on the oil pickup. 

Some were finer than others. 

I've had my dame Edna 95 for about 20k miles now and never changed the oil and the oil pump is not complaining. 

The synchros are going though so I don't think it will last very much longer. 

It was a combination of a lot of things including having the CAT near the sump so it could get a bit too warm which could cook the oil a bit. My 95 had had all the official mods done on it but I suspect that the sump drop and clean when the first turbo blew wasn't as good as it should have been.

Look out for a reedy whistle on start up from cold - lasts a second or so.... if you hear that then get the sump dropped and everything scrubbed clean ASAP.

20 hours ago, StephenA said:

I loved mine - at one point I had a 9000 anniversary with the embossed leather seats and the wooden steering wheel.

The 95 died because of problems with oil sludge which was a major problem with them even on the crazy oil change schedule.

That was never a problem with the Dame Edna 1.9 TiD version - only the old 2.2.

P6146704.JPG

9 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

That was never a problem with the Dame Edna 1.9 TiD version - only the old 2.2.

P6146704.JPG

all the B205 or B235 engines suffered from it to a greater or lesser extent.  I do know on the diesel that a issue with oil levels due to the engine angle was fixed by changing the length of the dipstick tube so it sat lower in the sump than it should have done so it read higher than it actually was.

9 hours ago, StephenA said:

all the B205 or B235 engines suffered from it to a greater or lesser extent.  I do know on the diesel that a issue with oil levels due to the engine angle was fixed by changing the length of the dipstick tube so it sat lower in the sump than it should have done so it read higher than it actually was.

I don't dispute that, but the Dame Edna turbodiesel didn't have the B205/B235 - it had the Fiat JTD 1.9.

10 hours ago, StephenA said:

Mine is petrol turbo. Silky smooth and responsive still at 14 years old. No oil burners for me. I do luv people that buy cars new and maintain them perfectly then sell to me for peanuts. 

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'd still have mine (bought ex-demo at 6 months old) if some pillock hadn't been arsing around with her phone before she crashed into me.

The Skoda I have now is better, though.

Petrol? Or tractor engined?