Do we have a problem with one of our submarines

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Apparently its just a cold 'diesel engine' starting up.

0_BLP_CHP_aq_481JPG.jpg

Smoke seen pouring from submarine in Scotland as photos emerge on social media

One social media user feared the smoke coming from the submarine in Helensburgh, Scotland, was caused by a fire. However the Royal Navy has confirmed it was a result of the submarine's diesel engine.

The smoke is from the diesel engine starting up and running.

All in-service UK submarines are nuclear powered.  The diesel engine is there primarily  to enable a cold start of the reactor if needed. 

If you think the smoke in the picture is bad, you should have seen an O or P class submarine starting their main diesel engines.  The ASR diesel was renowned for its ability to burn lubricating oil, including that in it's own oil system.

N

1 minute ago, BEngo said:

All in-service UK submarines are nuclear powered.  The diesel engine is there primarily  to enable a cold start of the reactor if needed. 

If you think the smoke in the picture is bad, you should have seen an O or P class submarine starting their main diesel engines.  The ASR diesel was renowned for its ability to burn lubricating oil, including that in it's own oil system.

N

Now yer talking proper sludgemachines. I had a short time on Osiris when I fancied being a sludgemariner for a time after doing the poxy tank at Dolphin :o. Cracking old boat that stunk of diesel and smoked like a trooper.

2 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

We had a 1978 golf that ate it’s sump oil. Oil used to get into the air filter block the drains and suck up the oil. It did it several times , ( vw denied the issue even though there was a class action in the US after people died) . Eventually it ran away on the m1. Accelerating at warp speed I stopped it in gear on the brakes.

Had to replace the head after that, and the front discs and pads. 
Put the Vw ( non existent bought directly from Germany ) modified parts on, and disconnected the breathers. Never felt safe in it but we were broke..

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently its just a cold 'diesel engine' starting up.

0_BLP_CHP_aq_481JPG.jpg

Smoke seen pouring from submarine in Scotland as photos emerge on social media

One social media user feared the smoke coming from the submarine in Helensburgh, Scotland, was caused by a fire. However the Royal Navy has confirmed it was a result of the submarine's diesel engine.

The smoke is from the diesel engine starting up and running.

Looks like he used the glow plugs for too long before starting it! ?

On 12/10/2020 at 16:39, mrsmelly said:

Now yer talking proper sludgemachines. I had a short time on Osiris when I fancied being a sludgemariner for a time after doing the poxy tank at Dolphin :o. Cracking old boat that stunk of diesel and smoked like a trooper.

This short clip just posted today ?

5 minutes ago, gbclive said:

This short clip just posted today ?

Thanks for that. Lubbly jubbly. However I may be old but not THAT old :D That one is the predecessor to the one I went on that was launched in 1962 

Looks nearly as bad as when my Saab 95 blew it's turbo - I ended up having to drive it to my brother's house (just over half a mile) as he had a drive and I wanted to SORN it.

Walking back I could still smell the oil in the air.

Edited by StephenA

40 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Looks nearly as bad as when my Saab 95 blew it's turbo - I ended up having to drive it to my brother's house (just over half a mile) as he had a drive and I wanted to SORN it.

Walking back I could still smell the oil in the air.

My Audi A6 did something similar.   Looked like I was running on coal. Managed to reach the dealer and when I stopped the car just sat in the middle of a black cloud. 

Most unreliable car I ever had in my company car days. 

5 minutes ago, dor said:

My Audi A6 did something similar.   Looked like I was running on coal. Managed to reach the dealer and when I stopped the car just sat in the middle of a black cloud. 

Most unreliable car I ever had in my company car days. 

The Saab's either belched huge amounts of white smoke (if the cylinder head gasket blew) or blue smoke if the turbo went.  On hard acceleration they would puff black smoke, even on the petrol engine.

14 hours ago, StephenA said:

The Saab's either belched huge amounts of white smoke (if the cylinder head gasket blew) or blue smoke if the turbo went.  On hard acceleration they would puff black smoke, even on the petrol engine.

Great value cars now in mint condition with fsh like mine available for peanuts. 

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Great value cars now in mint condition with fsh like mine available for peanuts. 

I loved mine - at one point I had a 9000 anniversary with the embossed leather seats and the wooden steering wheel.

The 95 died because of problems with oil sludge which was a major problem with them even on the crazy oil change schedule.

1 minute ago, StephenA said:

I loved mine - at one point I had a 9000 anniversary with the embossed leather seats and the wooden steering wheel.

The 95 died because of problems with oil sludge which was a major problem with them even on the crazy oil change schedule.

Every 5k miles I believe. Ive just bought a 93 Sportwagon in amazing condition with every single service mostly two a year. Paid less for it than renting some modern turd for about 4 months. Decent performance to say its only 175 horses too.

I had a 9000 aero for about 8 years but didn't look after it and I was terrible about racing people from the lights. Sold it to a fusiast who was going to tune it and replaced it with a 2.0 "Turbo Edition" dame Edna 95 which is actually a good motor.  Still driving that but I don't do a lot of miles. I know why it's called a 95. 95 on the clock is the most comfortable motorway speed. 

On the 9000 it was closer to 100-105 for ultimate comfort. 

Build quality Nothing like as good as the 9000 in build quality terms but still good. I don't like the GM parts but there we are at least it's still a Saab engine. And a good one. 

I don't do services or maintenance so it will probably end up with a noisy oil pump like my lovely 9000 did. 

Cars are consumables anyway. 

Edited by magnetman