Community safety boat

Spinderella

Featured Posts

It's like community speedwatch, a disease that needs to be stamped out. Allowing/enabling members of the community to have power over others is wrong. Police it, or don't police it, but don't empower the busybody retired. My village has a tribe of these w*****s.

Edited by Cas446

8 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

It's like community speedwatch, a disease that needs to be stamped out. Allowing/enabling members of the community to have power over others is wrong. Police it, or don't police it, but don't empower the busybody retired. My village has a tribe of these w*****s.

What power does this guy have?    I must have missed that.

• Greenie 1

Just now, Jerra said:

What power does this guy have?    I must have missed that.

If he's like community speedwatch - not a lot! We were offered this in our town (we have a lot of speeding near the boundary; people slowing down when they reach the houses, not the school sort of thing) - when we'd worked out the power of community speedwatch versus the work to implement it we called the law in.

4 hours ago, 1st ade said:

There are those that would say cycling under a bridge without dismounting and on the phone are proper criminals... (As one who's wife is constantly on about police chasing people who break the speed limit, "why don't they chase proper criminals")

As are licence evaders (whether Narrow boats, Canoes or whatever...)

And, if done properly (anyone remember when PCSO's were referred to as "plastic policemen"?) mean PCSO's can chase the slightly more serious criminals which leave the Police slightly more time to pursue Robbers, Rapists, Drug Dealers and Murderer's...

In fact, we have three PCSO's in North Milton Keynes near the Grand Union; perhaps suggest we get Trevor and Sabrina a real PCSO police launch...?

So PCSOs are known as plastic policemen.

Give them a bright coloured car with a flashing light on top, they are known as traffic wombles.

If you gave them a boat, what would they be known as?

16 minutes ago, smiler said:

So PCSOs are known as plastic policemen.

Give them a bright coloured car with a flashing light on top, they are known as traffic wombles....

I believe Highways Agencies (now Highways England) were the first to be christened Traffic Wombles.

Well, they were by Saint Jeremy of Clarkson.

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

I reckon employing PCSO’s is another form of care in the community. 

When we had the two jewelers shops our local PCSO was a great source of information on who were the current shoplifters, local incidents, etc.   As I have never seen a cop outside a car in 20 years he was doing all the things the PC on the beat used to do with regard to passing on info and gathering info.   We found it very useful and informative.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

When we had the two jewelers shops our local PCSO was a great source of information on who were the current shoplifters, local incidents, etc.   As I have never seen a cop outside a car in 20 years he was doing all the things the PC on the beat used to do with regard to passing on info and gathering info.   We found it very useful and informative.

Boaters are a great bunch for gossip and rumours as it is. 
Do we need PCSO’s divulging further information as to whose dog shits where?

If people are prepared to volunteer their free time to do stuff like clear rubbish from the canal, encourage (or even shame) towpath users and boaters into better behaviour, or assist someone in need  I don't have a problem with it.  It can be a thankless task and they probably have to be a bit thick-skinned to ignore some of the flak they will undoubtedly receive.

But it can go wrong if they start to believe that they have any sort of enforcement powers. particularly if/when they are ignored.

• Greenie 1

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Perhaps he can be issued with fluorescent orange, red and blue paint to spray the itinerant dog shits  

Its very popular around Daventry, in fact, it is starting to rival Blackpool illuminations with its colourful addition to the local Sunday strolls.

25 minutes ago, Cheese said:

If people are prepared to volunteer their free time to do stuff like clear rubbish from the canal, encourage (or even shame) towpath users and boaters into better behaviour, or assist someone in need  I don't have a problem with it.  It can be a thankless task and they probably have to be a bit thick-skinned to ignore some of the flak they will undoubtedly receive.

But it can go wrong if they start to believe that they have any sort of enforcement powers. particularly if/when they are ignored.

Agreed.

But you can do all of that without a toy imitation Thames river police boat.

4 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yes of of course it’s ‘them that do’ that’re the problem. I agree. 

I tell you though, this bloke’s been given a boat to play in and he’s on a jolly.  

It’d be more eco friendly to have him walk his beat and engage with the perps on the towpath. 
He don’t need a boat. 
Walking the towpath he could present a caring and friendly manner,  pointing out mistakes and educating folk about their errors in life.  

Just out of interest, is he doing this as part of his official role as a PCSO, or is he doing it in his own time?

The York Rescue Boat is a godsend. I've witnessed it retrieving a run-away narrowboat in a flood and helping stranded boaters in the middle of the night. Most of their work is persuading pissed teenagers not to jump in the river.  These community services should be encouraged as long as they don't assume powers they have no right to have.

• Greenie 3

42 minutes ago, Goliath said:

You mean you don't want a potential disease spreading agent removed and the habit of leaving it extinguished?

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Great ? 

He’s picking the poo up and disposing of it? Didn’t realise he’s been given a pooperScooper Yacht.  

I didn't say he was.   The point being that if people have their attention drawn to the fact they are being disgusting often enough they will slowly give up the habit.

A bit like smoking has dwindled over  the years until it is only the slow of understanding who still smoke.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I didn't say he was.   The point being that if people have their attention drawn to the fact they are being disgusting often enough they will slowly give up the habit.

A bit like smoking has dwindled over  the years until it is only the slow of understanding who still smoke.

And I didn’t say I didn’t “ want a potential disease spreading agent removed and the habit of leaving it extinguished”

my point:

He should do it on the towpath

He don’t need a boat

Better he engages on the towpath and talks with cyclists and dog owners. 

I can’t  argue with using a patrol boat in some places for safety and rescue. But that’s quite different to having a snooper on a boat keeping a log. 

I don’t see how counting from a boat 14 cyclists for not dismounting is better than

being by a bridge and asking them to dismount and informing them why it might be a good idea to dismount. 

22 minutes ago, Goliath said:

And I didn’t say I didn’t “ want a potential disease spreading agent removed and the habit of leaving it extinguished”

my point:

He should do it on the towpath

He don’t need a boat

Better he engages on the towpath and talks with cyclists and dog owners. 

I can’t  argue with using a patrol boat in some places for safety and rescue. But that’s quite different to having a snooper on a boat keeping a log. 

I don’t see how counting from a boat 14 cyclists for not dismounting is better than

being by a bridge and asking them to dismount and informing them why it might be a good idea to dismount. 

Out of interest how do you know he is constantly on the move and doesn't cruise to a place and tie up spend some time say talking to dog walkers or cyclists.   At least with the boat he has a shelter if needed and somewhere to keep his butties and any other kit he feels necessary.

I think you might be making assumptions.

15 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Out of interest how do you know he is constantly on the move and doesn't cruise to a place and tie up spend some time say talking to dog walkers or cyclists.   At least with the boat he has a shelter if needed and somewhere to keep his butties and any other kit he feels necessary.

I think you might be making assumptions.

The boat with its silly lights and hi viz decals is a joke. His boat needs niether for the purposes of providing shelter or somewhere to keep his sandwiches.

Its been done to create the illusion of somebody who has some sort of authority or enforcement powers.

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe it should be called a "Patrol Boat" not a "Safety Boat "

There's quite a few hundred quid difference on the licence fee.  A qualifying "Safety Boat" either gets a free licence, or a Maintenance Workboat licence (£88 a year).

A "Patrol Boat" would probably have to pay a Roving Traders' licence fee, so more than a pleasure boat licence for the same boat (£600 ?)

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink