all my pumps have stopped working at once

Piran

Featured Posts

All my water pumps for bringing water to the taps and water out of the boat have stopped working at once. I have full solar charge, lights are on and all other electrical outlets seem to be working. 

I have turned the batteries on and off and checked my fuse box (it hadn't flicked down but I tripped it anyway but no luck). 

Frozen up already?

13 minutes ago, Piran said:

All my water pumps for bringing water to the taps and water out of the boat have stopped working at once. I have full solar charge, lights are on and all other electrical outlets seem to be working. 

I have turned the batteries on and off and checked my fuse box (it hadn't flicked down but I tripped it anyway but no luck). 

Tripped what? the mains RCD? Can't see the connection.

17 minutes ago, Piran said:

All my water pumps

Have you definitely got more than 1 pump, if so how many? Do you know where they are located, can you get to them? If multiple pumps I would have guessed each one would be fused separately...

The reason I ask is most of the setups I've seen, 1 pump providers hot and cold water to multiple taps and / or shower.

Edited by Quattrodave
typo

2 minutes ago, Quattrodave said:

Have you definitely got more than 1 pump, if so how many? Do you know where they are located, can you get to them? If multiple pumps I would have guessed each one would be fused separately...

I am guessing that the OP has a domestic water pump, shower extraction pump and a bilge pump.  As you suggested, it is likely that there are 3 separate fuses/circuit breakers.

Just now, PhilR said:

I am guessing that the OP has a domestic water pump, shower extraction pump and a bilge pump.  As you suggested, it is likely that there are 3 separate fuses/circuit breakers.

Mine are all on seperate trips and I would hope that other boats are. I have around 20 12 volt trips.

38 minutes ago, Piran said:

Please clarify that you mean the bilge pump, shower pump and domestic water pump or if you mean nothing comes from the taps. If the latter check that you have 12V at the connectors close to the pump with the pump still connected. If so I fear its either the pump has packed up (brushes) or the pressure switch has failed open. If the former you need to start checking voltages with things connected turned on while working down the circuit to find where the voltage goes away

28 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Please clarify that you mean the bilge pump, shower pump and domestic water pump or if you mean nothing comes from the taps. If the latter check that you have 12V at the connectors close to the pump with the pump still connected. If so I fear its either the pump has packed up (brushes) or the pressure switch has failed open. If the former you need to start checking voltages with things connected turned on while working down the circuit to find where the voltage goes away

My engine bilge pump is working. However my shower pump, domestic water pump and back boiler pump have failed.

nothing is coming from the taps and nothing is able to be pumped out. 

Im not really sure what I am doing but I turned the batteries on and off and tripped the fuse box (I have one central fuse). Immediately after doing this the pumps didn’t start working). However, about ten minutes later they starting working for a brief period. I used the bath room sink tap, but when I went to pump it out the pumps all failed again 

Edited by Piran

10 minutes ago, Piran said:

My engine bilge pump is working. However my shower pump, domestic water pump and back boiler pump have failed.

nothing is coming from the taps and nothing is able to be pumped out. 

Im not really sure what I am doing but I turned the batteries on and off and tripped the fuse box (I have one central fuse). Immediately after doing this the pumps didn’t start working). However, about ten minutes later they starting working for a brief period. I used the bath room sink tap, but when I went to pump it out the pumps all failed again 

If you only have one central 12V fuse and no others then it is totally against the RCD and BSS fail. i suspect you are confusing a mains (240V AC) consumer unit with the 12V fuse/mcb distribution board.

Photos of this single fuse please. I suspect the bilge pump just might be wired to the engine battery and you may have a flat domestic battery bank so voltage at the DOMESTIC batteries with the pump turned on.

• Greenie 1

That is the shoreline and or inverter output consumer unit. What you need to look for are a car type fuse box, a metal/plastic panel with lights and/or buttons and/or switches in it arranged in rows and columns or if its an old boat a very old fashioned mains consumer unit with a  big red on/off switch and a row of fuses. I bet you don't have a hand held multi-meter or voltmeter so can't measure the domestic battery voltage.

Perhaps something a bit like this

Marine 6 Gang Fuse Switch Panel, 12 Volt, Marine, Caravan, Motorhome, Narrowboat

Edited by Tony Brooks
Added "and/or inverter output"

That  appears to be an ac fusebox with a 16a breaker and a 63a RCD. Boubt that it's anything to do with your pump(s)

To clarify, I meant the photos posted by OP not Tony Brooks

Edited by Slim

What is weird is that the pumps have started working again, then all stoped, and now have started working again. Can it be a fuse problem if this is happening.

Our smart gauge says we have 81% charge in our batteries. It has been a sunny day and we have four solar panels, lights are all working etc 

Good - unscrew the silver "button" in the centre and lift the cover off. I expect the under the "power pump" label you will find a fuse that hopefully is blown. Why hopefully? - because if its not you have fault finding to do.

Beware. If your domestic batteries are flat the pumps will draw more current and may blow a new fuse

1 minute ago, Piran said:

What is weird is that the pumps have started working again, then all stoped, and now have started working again. Can it be a fuse problem if this is happening.

Our smart gauge says we have 81% charge in our batteries. It has been a sunny day and we have four solar panels, lights are all working etc 

In that case check where the cable join the fuse holders are clean and secure i.e. not lose and waving about.

batteries are OK then

Edited by Tony Brooks