curious if anyone can give me any more information on my project for the past 3 years

baileymay43

Featured Posts

A fen lighter ?

That makes sense. 

I was going to ask where the boat is located as that would probably help !

It is road transportable so could have ended up outside it's original area but reasonably unlikely. 

The pictures look a bit like the stinkhole near Rickmansworth but I don't think there is any vehicle access there. 

Edited by magnetman

7 hours ago, baileymay43 said:

its all riveted with some overplating in places mainly due to grab damage. baseplate is still a strong 8mm again all riveted. sides are 3mm im assuming due to the difficulty of rolling the hard iron. 

3mm does seem extraordinarily thin for the hull plate of something built (presumably) for dredging and maintenance operations. L&L shortboats were built like that using high-tensile steel in the 60s to increase the carrying capacity, but I doubt that would be much of a consideration for a maintenance craft. There is quite a lot of flakey rust just above the chine too - that needs close attention I suspect.

Is it just for a houseboat now?

Tam

p.s. only seen your pictures after I posted - I see you are motorising it. Are you certain it is iron?   ?

Edited by Tam & Di

21 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

With that swim ended stern I think you will need a half tunnel over the prop or much of the trust will go upwards and have little effect on forward motion.

I think I agree. Maybe a fixed Kort nozzle would help?

Howard

2 hours ago, Dav and Pen said:

With that swim ended stern I think you will need a half tunnel over the prop or much of the trust will go upwards and have little effect on forward motion.

Certainly the swim ended stern doesn't allow water to flow cleanly to the prop - there's going to be quite a bit of turbulence and drag.

2 hours ago, howardang said:

I think I agree. Maybe a fixed Kort nozzle would help?

Howard

this is a cutwater stern design. not very commonon on the canal. water is drawn from beneath the baseplate. i believe xr and d boats use a similar design. she swims beautifully actually at canal speeds, not much throth coming from the prop. she seems to reverse much more directly that every other boat ive been on on the canals.  im planning on taking her coastal at some point and i think ill definitely need to add some sort of uxter to get anywhere near 7-8 knots 

A properly designed stern for a motor vessel will have a finely tapered stern allowing water to pass cleanly from the sides. A swim-ended stern like yours means that water is mostly getting to the prop from under the vessel as you note, which gives problems in a shallow canal. It does also add to the likelihood of crud getting drawn up into the blades. There is very little you can do about that though, as you have what you have - you have to get adept at raking the blades with a long shaft.

Tam

• Greenie 1

On 10/10/2020 at 22:33, baileymay43 said:

Evening all, I've been trying to find information and history on my lovely barge that I've been working on for the past 3 years. I've inevitably had lots of towpath opinions however these vary quite dramatically. Im curious to see if theres anyone on here that has any solid knowledge of approximate build years, area and purpose of build, any solid information at all really. Please only chip in if you're absolutely sure, everyone i meet seems to guess and sends me down the wrong path!

Found this list from 1940 of Grand Union hoppers in the London Canal Museum archive:  

IMG_6486.JPG

IMG_6487.JPG