Engine serial plate?

Baldy1976

Featured Posts

Hi everyone

I have a BMC Engine in my narrowboat , a receipt from years ago says it's a 2.4 commander , the brochure from GHBS says it's a 2.2 BMC.

We have owned the boat for a year now and I have just recently cleaned the whole engine bay ready for painting.........I found a metal plate with a serial number on it ......it was inside of one of the engine support girders on the floor right in the corner 

Is this the engine serial number plate please? 

Cheers

PXL_20201010_175118003.jpg

Edited by Baldy1976

8G used to refer to reconditioned engines or could be  part number?

Look for any plate indicating Newage Marine (later Tempest Diesels) in Stamford Lincolnshire. 

According to the interweb - ''Commander'' indicates  a 2.4(2.5?)            2.2 would be ''Commodore''

• Greenie 1

The exhaust manifold is a very old wet exhaust direct cooled one or one from the earliest wet exhaust heat exchanger systems and if that is original equipment I would suggest its a 2.2, not a 2.5. However the Newage 2.2 versions had a cast alloy rocker cover and that one look like pressed metal so it may be a self marinise job and if so goodness knows what it is.

31 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Maybe this is what it is expected to look like ?

https://boulters-chandlery.co.uk/Land-Rover-25-L-Marine-Diesel-engine-workshop-tested

.Land Rover Tempest 2.5 L Marine Diesel Engine & PRM 160 2R Gearbox  (workshop tested) - Chandleryshop.co.uk

No, that's a Rover diesel, not a BMC. The BMC rocker cover has straight sides the Rover one has flutes on one side. It is the type of manifold I would expect.

1 hour ago, Baldy1976 said:

Can still get the starter motors , alternators .....filters / belts , other than that .....calcutt boats might help :)

We asked Calcutt about spares for the 2.2 without much joy , they have lots for the smaller engines though.

Yes Rover 2286cc, same capacity as they're 4 cyl petrol engine which was a superb engine, Rover 60 and series 2 Land Rovers. The diesel lacked oomph in the Land Rover and wasn't popular.  Bly me, I've just noticed that my reputation count is the same,  2286, and I had 2 series 2a and one series 1 Land Rovers which worked very hard in the motor trade.

Edited by bizzard

51 minutes ago, bizzard said:

The diesel lacked oomph in the Land Rover and wasn't popular.

Tell me about it ...

(One time owner of a Series 3 LWB diesel with a top speed of about 45mph, which was a bit scary on the M25).

Edited by David Mack