Magnet Fishing

max's son

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Thats because they want the job of ( not) removing stuff from bridges.

maybe she caan go to bridge 20 on the north stratford and find what we stuck on for 90 mins.

Board claimed there was nothing there.

Is that the bridge by Wedges?

We went through there on Tuesday and graunched over something in the water.

There was a CaRT pusher tug tied up on the Lapworth side, the misters were having their lunch at Wedges. They must have felt it too.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1965 Byelaw No41 :

No person unless authorised by the Board in that behalf or otherwise legally entitled so to do shall:

(a) Bathe in any canal

(b) Take any water from any canal (being an inland water to which section 131 of the Water Resources Act 1963, for the time being applies

(c) Connect any pipe, culvert or drain to any canal or permit any pipe, culvert or drain to discharge on to any property of the Board.

(d) Dredge or remove coal or other material from any canal.

Thanks.

And just to think of all the stuff I've pulled from my propeller over the years, and not returned it to the water. Oops!

I believe all the byelaws are subject to reasonableness. Otherwise litter collection would be illegal. 

It's ok to get your hat if it blows in the cut but systematically removing materials from the canal, especially the canal bed is, understandably, not allowed without prior authorisation. 

24 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Is that the bridge by Wedges?

We went through there on Tuesday and graunched over something in the water.

There was a CaRT pusher tug tied up on the Lapworth side, the misters were having their lunch at Wedges. They must have felt it too.

It is the very same.

Coventry Canal Society  members on one of their frequent canal clearance forays between Sutton Stop and the basin.

No magnets were strained in this operation, just grappling hooks made from rebar. 

It was in a bridge hole and took all six of us to drag it out up the planks.

Evidence of major mechanical tinkering and damage suggested an insurance job.

It certainly hadn't be ridden there.

Of course it could have been involved in a crime/hit and run/as part of an existing investigation.  However The Police were agog with indifference, on the edge of their seats with apathy one might say.

WP_20161120_12_13_14_Pro.jpg.eb611e03ffd51f0ed2538898784585a5.jpg

5 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Had one of those a few years ago in the entrance to Harecastle tunnel, the police wouldn't let boats past until the divers had been to make sure there weren't any bodies in the car.  After waiting a couple of hours with no divers arriving they did eventually say we could go past as long as we drifted by, didn't have the prop spinning and didn't hit the car.

Ashton CanalLocation: Lock 13, Crabtree Lane, Ashton CanalStarts At: Lock 13, Crabtree LaneEnds At: Lock 13, Crabtree Lane

Thursday 8 October 2020 10:00 until further notice

Type: Advice Reason: Police Incident

Update on 08/10/2020: Please be advised the landing stage at Lock 13, Crabtree Lane on the Ashton Canal is still out of use due to a submerged car.
We are continuing to work with the local authorities and an update will be provided tomorrow, Friday 9 October. Navigation is not affected.Original message: Please be advised the landing stage at Lock 13, Crabtree Lane on the Ashton Canal is out of use due to a submerged car.
We are working with the local authorities to 

26 minutes ago, zenataomm said:

Coventry Canal Society  members on one of their frequent canal clearance forays between Sutton Stop and the basin.

No magnets were strained in this operation, just grappling hooks made from rebar. 

It was in a bridge hole and took all six of us to drag it out up the planks.

Evidence of major mechanical tinkering and damage suggested an insurance job.

It certainly hadn't be ridden there.

Of course it could have been involved in a crime/hit and run/as part of an existing investigation.  However The Police were agog with indifference, on the edge of their seats with apathy one might say.

WP_20161120_12_13_14_Pro.jpg.eb611e03ffd51f0ed2538898784585a5.jpg

Last time I went down into Coventry Basin there was a gun cabinet laying under a bridgehole, no one wrenches a gun cabinet off the wall and takes it away if its empty

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

1965 Byelaw No41 :

No person unless authorised by the Board in that behalf or otherwise legally entitled so to do shall:

(a) Bathe in any canal

(b) Take any water from any canal (being an inland water to which section 131 of the Water Resources Act 1963, for the time being applies

(c) Connect any pipe, culvert or drain to any canal or permit any pipe, culvert or drain to discharge on to any property of the Board.

(d) Dredge or remove coal or other material from any canal.

So according to bye law if a

I drop windlass/keys into canal I'm not allowed to retrieve them?  And what is the penalty for removing items. Looks unenforceable to me. Lost a mobile a year ago, the magnetic guys are welcome to it.

3 minutes ago, Eldog said:

So according to bye law if a

I drop windlass/keys into canal I'm not allowed to retrieve them?  And what is the penalty for removing items. Looks unenforceable to me. Lost a mobile a year ago, the magnetic guys are welcome to it.

I simply answered the question as asked. If you disagree with them that is your prerogative.

The penalties are outlined in the byelaws (a Fine)

BW, and subsequently C&RT, have never, to date, enforced a Bye-Law.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Occasionally people dredge up grenades, mortar shells and other bits of bank with their magnets. In Poland, magnet fishing can be a bit more dangerous.

A clip below of the Piast Canal in Poland, when an ex RAF Tall Boy bomb (over five tons) exploded yesterday (13/10/20) while being defused. Fortunately, no one was hurt. You would need a big magnet to drag out a five ton bomb.

More from the Beeb.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if a licence to magnet fish is required?  Interesting canal activitie! 

On 14/10/2020 at 08:24, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Occasionally people dredge up grenades, mortar shells and other bits of bank with their magnets. In Poland, magnet fishing can be a bit more dangerous.

A clip below of the Piast Canal in Poland, when an ex RAF Tall Boy bomb (over five tons) exploded yesterday (13/10/20) while being defused. Fortunately, no one was hurt. You would need a big magnet to drag out a five ton bomb.

More from the Beeb.

Who knows what's lurking under the water! 

3 minutes ago, StuBar said:

Does anyone know if a licence to magnet fish is required?  Interesting canal activitie! 

CRT discourage magnet fishing, but they don't actually say you can't. But I doubt they would issue you a licence for it!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-and-magnet-fishing

43 minutes ago, David Mack said:

CRT discourage magnet fishing, but they don't actually say you can't. But I doubt they would issue you a licence for it!

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-and-magnet-fishing

From the linked article:

It’s great that people are interested in getting rubbish out of the canal, however we don't allow magnet fishing as it can be extremely dangerous.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

From the linked article:

It’s great that people are interested in getting rubbish out of the canal, however we don't allow magnet fishing as it can be extremely dangerous.

The dangers of skim reading an article before posting the link! 😃

In fly fishing they use  a pretend fly to catch the fish. In carp fishing, they are trying to catch the carp. So is magnet fishing using a magnet to catch the fish, or is it magnets you are trying to catch? For that matter, is course fishing where you swear a lot while doing it?

On 18/04/2022 at 12:56, TheBiscuits said:

From the linked article: