Magnet Fishing

max's son

Featured Posts

They ask them not to revile the location and then say  

"A West Mercia Police spokesman said: "At around 8.35pm on October 1, we received a report that a member of the public who had been magnet fishing on the canal underneath the A449 and had pulled up a safe. The matter is with the local policing team for enquiries to be carried out."ngham.li

35 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

"A West Mercia Police spokesman said: "At around 8.35pm on October 1, we received a report that a member of the public who had been magnet fishing on the canal underneath the A449 and had pulled up a safe. The matter is with the local policing team for enquiries to be carried out."ngham.li

So don't tell anyone that it was right here:

Screenshot_2020-10-08_22-09-11.jpg.a08832d7128f8db1f5e89f95f48aa300.jpg

49 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

11 hours ago, max's son said:

another magnet fisher catches a big one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/police-investigate-after-worcester-schoolgirl-19036713

should this be encouraged?

Has the safe been left for someone to crash into until the police remove it

CRT do not encourage it, they make it clear that it is not allowed

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-and-magnet-fishing

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

CRT do not encourage it, they make it clear that it is not allowed

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/safety-on-our-waterways/water-safety-and-magnet-fishing

Thats because they want the job of ( not) removing stuff from bridges.

maybe she caan go to bridge 20 on the north stratford and find what we stuck on for 90 mins.

Board claimed there was nothing there.

57 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

Thats because they want the job of ( not) removing stuff from bridges.

maybe she caan go to bridge 20 on the north stratford and find what we stuck on for 90 mins.

Something very big under the footbridge in Leamington too.

So, a few months back a tree branch knocked our bikes off the roof and into the canal. We thought they were gone for good. A liveaboard says "my husband has a magnet to get it out". I thought she was joking. But along he comes, not with a crane, just a magnet on a piece of rope (I did not know this was a thing at the time). And after ten minutes finds them and yanks them out.

I don't know how this relates to the original story. I guess the moral is, take your bikes off the roof before cruising, keep a magnet around on some rope, and there are a lot of really good people out there on the canals.

Edited by Thomas C King
  • Greenie 1

12 hours ago, max's son said:

another magnet fisher catches a big one

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/police-investigate-after-worcester-schoolgirl-19036713

should this be encouraged?

Has the safe been left for someone to crash into until the police remove it

That must have been one hell of a magnet or a very tiny safe.

It's always been against CRT byelaws to remove items from the canal but once the idiots turned up and started magnet fishing by every bridge trouble was bound to occur. 

It's fine if you are sensible about it but people don't want piles of rusty motorcycle frames everywhere. No good for wellbeing. 

I was fishing with a big neodymium magnet which would easily break fingers before most people knew what a neodymium magnet was. 

Stopped doing that once the idiots turned up. It's similar to the early days of metal detecting. Once you get large numbers of people with no idea doing it then land owners / nav authorities will notice it and of course yes they do have byelaws.

Not that CRT ever use byelaws to enforce anything...

14 minutes ago, hughc said:

What was daddy's car doing on the towpath? How did it get there? If there is vehicular access the next thing in the bridge hole will be a stolen car.

Had one of those a few years ago in the entrance to Harecastle tunnel, the police wouldn't let boats past until the divers had been to make sure there weren't any bodies in the car.  After waiting a couple of hours with no divers arriving they did eventually say we could go past as long as we drifted by, didn't have the prop spinning and didn't hit the car.

2 hours ago, magnetman said:

It's always been against CRT byelaws to remove items from the canal but once the idiots turned up and started magnet fishing by every bridge trouble was bound to occur. 

It's fine if you are sensible about it but people don't want piles of rusty motorcycle frames everywhere. No good for wellbeing. 

I was fishing with a big neodymium magnet which would easily break fingers before most people knew what a neodymium magnet was. 

Stopped doing that once the idiots turned up. It's similar to the early days of metal detecting. Once you get large numbers of people with no idea doing it then land owners / nav authorities will notice it and of course yes they do have byelaws.

Not that CRT ever use byelaws to enforce anything...

Hi

Do tell.

Some time ago I was looking for such a byelaw but couldn't find anything. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

5 minutes ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Hi

Do tell.

Some time ago I was looking for such a byelaw but couldn't find anything. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

Thanks

1965 Byelaw No41 :

No person unless authorised by the Board in that behalf or otherwise legally entitled so to do shall:

(a) Bathe in any canal

(b) Take any water from any canal (being an inland water to which section 131 of the Water Resources Act 1963, for the time being applies

(c) Connect any pipe, culvert or drain to any canal or permit any pipe, culvert or drain to discharge on to any property of the Board.

(d) Dredge or remove coal or other material from any canal.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

When was this? On the 12th August this year I hit something under bridge 20, I didn’t get stuck but the boat lifted a fair bit, I moored up near the blue bell pub and walked back down to the bridge and waited to watch a couple more boats come through and both boats never hit a thing, so I never reported it as I thought it was just me and I had obviously moved the obstruction out of the way.

6 minutes ago, Jinna said:

When was this? On the 12th August this year I hit something under bridge 20, I didn’t get stuck but the boat lifted a fair bit, I moored up near the blue bell pub and walked back down to the bridge and waited to watch a couple more boats come through and both boats never hit a thing, so I never reported it as I thought it was just me and I had obviously moved the obstruction out of the way.

Last week. We stuck just going in coming south. Stern end 3 inches out.

we rolled and pivoted around on it Until the boat fell off . Shafted stern over a few times, bow over onto opposite bank as lever. Ended up levering stern up in the air at which point off she rolled.

shafting around couldnt feel it.

We are lucky, the boats profile being empty cargo hold and short extension means its easily rolled about even by two people with a combined weight of 110 kilos.

Crt claimed they cant find it...

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

I must admit that crossed my mind when I read the article, I expected a comment by CRT.

CRT don’t care. 
The statement on the website is just for publicity and to deny any responsibility when someone gets hurt or drowns. 
Otherwise CRT aren’t bothered and the water operatives clear the stuff away when they get the opportunity. 
I know of one magnet fisherman and his son who are well known around the Chester area who have been personally praised by Richard Parry for removing the stuff. 
CRT will say one thing for publicity but do nowt about it in reality. 

Personally I don’t see it as a bad thing IF what’s pulled out is put to one side away from the towpath. Better than getting the boat stuck on something. 

3 hours ago, Flyboy said:

That must have been one hell of a magnet or a very tiny safe.

It don’t make sense to me. 
It would have had to be one hell of a magnet which would make it useless. Surely you need a magnet to break loose when it fastens to something too big?
And if she was alone fishing then that’s irresponsible of the parents. 

Edited by Goliath

I've had a few safe doors out which presumably means there was also a safe in there. 

The safe itself would be quite heavy.

Of course there are people who would describe public phone cash boxes as a "safe" if I could have a pound for every one of those I've pulled out !! 

And it's wasting police time. 

I've had eleven hand grenades out and 7 handguns but they all went back in as no use to anyone and it's just wasting public resources to call the police for scrap. 

Probably worth pointing out that in this particular instance the safe was not in fact recovered by the magnet. It was only recovered because the magnet got wedged inside a corroded part and the only reason they got to keep the magnet was because they were able to use a car to tow the line. 

Oh dear. 

0_ZCR_BEM_071020canal_02JPG.jpg

"The safe looked like it hadn’t been in the water too long" 

Well I suppose decades is nothing in evolutionary terms. 

oh dear I am taking this too seriously. 

More dumbing down. What is happening to the world ? 

Edited by magnetman

5 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Probably worth pointing out that in this particular instance the safe was not in fact recovered by the magnet. It was only recovered because the magnet got wedged inside a corroded part and the only reason they got to keep the magnet was because they were able to use a car to tow the line. 

Oh dear. 

0_ZCR_BEM_071020canal_02JPG.jpg

Of course, that makes sense

?

Mere CHICKEN FEED!!!...A SAFE!!...I helped 2 guys pull a GPZ 1000 out of the cut in Polesworth last year!...?

I have also spoken to 2 people who walk the cut regularly,and throw any "magnet fishing debris" back in.In their words.. "to keep the game going!"?