washing line ?

Aprilia

Featured Posts

As ive already noted, for better or worse, my dear lady loves a wash/Mach.

Now, presuming that the washing is done once/week/month etc.etc. the next step is drying.

Not even I would contemplate a dryer on a boat, although I've seen several for sale with this electricery device fitted.

But in the real world, where is everyone hanging the washing to dry ?

I have a couple of ideas for widgets I could make, but if there is something that is already existing, I won't re-invent the wheel.

Thxs.

Just now, Aprilia said:

As ive already noted, for better or worse, my dear lady loves a wash/Mach.

Now, presuming that the washing is done once/week/month etc.etc. the next step is drying.

Not even I would contemplate a dryer on a boat, although I've seen several for sale with this electricery device fitted.

But in the real world, where is everyone hanging the washing to dry ?

I have a couple of ideas for widgets I could make, but if there is something that is already existing, I won't re-invent the wheel.

Thxs.

Use a twin tub for the wash and dry and it comes out far far dryer than an automatic, a few hours 'in the window' on a reasonable day and they are dry enough to iron or put away.

• Greenie 1

I use a j=hanging thing like you hang on caravan windows to dry clothes. There are a couple of big hooks on the up  cratch board plank and a small hook on the underside of the top cratch plank. I hook the drier over the big hooks (using the bits which would attach to a caravan window and use a long bungee attached to the small hook to keep the drier up. If it is wet, I close the cratch sides otherwise the washing dries in the breeze as we go along. 

The hanging thing folds up and lives in the bottom of the shower

haggis

3 minutes ago, Aprilia said:

No-one do anything down the length of the boat to have a long old-style washing line ?

Inside or outside ?

If you are in a marina, most of the have a condition of mooring that you do not have washing 'outside of the boat' or it starts to look like a Gypsy encampment.

Some boats do have a 'whirly-gig' drying 'line' set up on their rear deck.

Washing Line On Canal Boat High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

Washing Line On Canal Boat High Resolution Stock Photography and Images -  Alamy

2 minutes ago, Aprilia said:

No-one do anything down the length of the boat to have a long old-style washing line ?

I did think about it using one of those pull out quadruple line jobbies but found it would be rarely needed. for those odd times we always fund a laundrette. I have also seen small garden type whirlygig ones with the base in a Desmo led set into a cruiser rear. A suitably sized cup and manson ring would allow you to clamp a whirlygig to the outside of the rear bulkhead

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Inside or outside ?

If you are in a marina, most of the have a condition of mooring that you do not have washing 'outside of the boat' or it starts to look like a Gypsy encampment.

Some boats do have a 'whirly-gig' drying 'line' set up on their rear deck.

Mine fits in a socket on the bows but never gets used but this does 

image.png.0812e70a0daa62b2844bfb7e16125ba8.png

Four lines stretched between cup hooks across the bathroom near the ceiling at garrotting height for tall people. Bathroom has two roof vents, so plenty of ventilation. Washing done with a twin tub, so the spin dryer gets them nearly dry to start with as @Alan de Enfield said.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1

If weather is good it goes outside on deck boards at arse end on drying rack. If weather bad then either tumble dryer vented outdoors or usualy in the rear laundry room with built in lines for the job. 

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Four lines stretched between cup hooks across the bathroom near the ceiling at garrotting height for tall people. Bathroom has two roof vents, so plenty of ventilation. Washing done with a twin tub, so the spin dryer gets them nearly dry to start with as @Alan de Enfield said.

I put up a set of lines like that above the bath.

Sometimes I run an extra line inside the boat too. 

But normally it’s all dried at the laundrette when/if I can be arsed to keep feeding the drier  with money. 

And I’ve hooks in the ceiling by the stove for drying wet clothes and boots after boating in bad weather. 

3 hours ago, Kendorr said:

I have a couple of these poles

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51wwJIOMsRL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

They can be fixed across the boat and with some coat hangers you get plenty of washing on them.

Our cratch cover has four loops hanging down, never have been sure of their purpose.

I have threaded two varnished broom handles through them and as suggested use coat hangers. For smalls pegs can be attached to the coat hangers.

I don't have a picture but we also have a five strand retractable washing line over the bath.

Our boat is used for leisure use so we never really have a great amount of washing.

20170603_165713.jpg

ETA something like this:

18m-5-Lines-Retractable-Washing-Line-Airer-Indoor-Laundry-Wall-Mounted-Dryer

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/18m-5-Lines-Retractable-Washing-Line-Airer-Indoor-Laundry-Wall-Mounted-Dryer/353177871855?hash=item523b0aa5ef:g:MlcAAOSwr4VfQDVa

Edited by Ray T

3 hours ago, Aprilia said:

Wear fewer clothes/change them less often. "Smalls" don't take up any space - hang 'em under the cratch cover.

However, if you hang stuff near the deckhead (ceiling) when the stove is on, it'll dry. It gets remarkably hot up there!

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

We have something like that - but don't live aboard so it is only used occasionally.  

We dont live aboard but it appears every trip, if the weathers nice its on the end of the boat hook over the front deck, if its wet and they are dripping its over the bath and if its winter its in the galley and sometimes the engine room

5 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Lister aircooled in engine room.

Do wash, hang in engine room go boating.

Black underwear recommended as inevitably things will end up in bilge.

The underwear is black, but the duvet covers are white, they have various black spots where they have come into contact with engine oil leaks, whenever I get into bed I look at these black spot and think "corr I live on a boat"

..............Dave

I built an airing cupboard into our boat -

• 'large' vertical hot water cylinder in a separate insulated cupboard,
  • 3 slatted shelves
  • Mushroom vent in the roof,
  • 'fresh' air drawn from the bilge (defeats under floor damp)

Great for drying washing

defrosting food

storing drying up towels

keeping gloves warm.....

(Seems daft to me to stick a cauliflower under a bed, 'specially if you don't like to be hot at night)

Was obvious when building the boat.

We dont live aboard but use a small twintub to wash and dry, then finish off by hanging clothes on a stainless steel rail mounted undervthe cratch. 

Small and socks hang from one of the things shown in previous photos.