Dark Heat Stained Wood Above Alde Radiators

Featured Posts

Hi Guys,

During our hunt for a boat last month we came across a 2012 Aqualine which had dark heat stained marks above all of the many Alde radiator lower vents, pic below.

This question is just for my learning but how would someone go about removing such marks?

........... or would it be a case of having to replace or paint the wood?

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

Screenshot_20201007-195222_Gallery.jpg.d56a310a65cc1635e4dbecaae9dec4df.jpg

I would try to wash a bit of the dark stain off with a damp cloth. It is probably just dust. I have not seen such dsrk staining, even with coal stoves, which run much hotter than radiators.

If it doesn't come off, then all that is needed is a quick rub down and re-varnish.

• Greenie 2

Standard heat staining due to fried dust convected onto the wood, should scrub off.

They are not radiators but skirting convectors. They draw dust laden air off the floor and chuck it out of the top..

Same as over any radiator, one reason why in houses they are better below windows.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Standard heat staining due to fried dust convected onto the wood, should scrub off.

They are not radiators but skirting convectors. They draw dust laden air off the floor and chuck it out of the top..

Same as over any radiator, one reason why in houses they are better below windows.

I put skirting heating into my house when I built it. They don't get that hot, but then there's a steel front panel to throw the heat out into the rooms. I guess that on a boat the casing is wooden to 'look better' and the convection is worse - thus it's hot on the floor...

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

I would try to wash a bit of the dark stain off with a damp cloth. It is probably just dust. I have not seen such dsrk staining, even with coal stoves, which run much hotter than radiators.

If it doesn't come off, then all that is needed is a quick rub down and re-varnish.

That's good news as it detracted from the nice interior of the boat.

The Aqualine was the only boat which we viewed with this issue but then again is was the only boat to have the Alde Compact gas system fitted.

Thanks for the info,

Andrew

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Thanks T, I appreciate the advice. 

I've read something similiar tonight on Google but it's nice to get realtime info from you guys.

I did try to scrape it off when I was in the boat but I clearly didn't try hard enough and I certainly didn't have a brush.

Thanks again,

Andrew

2 hours ago, OldGoat said:

I put skirting heating into my house when I built it. They don't get that hot, but then there's a steel front panel to throw the heat out into the rooms. I guess that on a boat the casing is wooden to 'look better' and the convection is worse - thus it's hot on the floor...

Yes, I reckon there would be quite a bit of heat build-up in the skirting convectors when the gas heating was on full blast.

Sadly, though, I didn't get a chance to test the heating system.

Have to say that looks more like damp but quite why or how is a bit of a puzzle. I wonder if warm air holding more moisture = more humidity and damp wood?  I should think the insulation is spray foam and nothing to worry about but it is odd. Incidentally and as a personal view the quality of the insulation would very important indeed if I was looking at a boat to buy.

• Greenie 2

15 hours ago, Blue Knight said:

That's good news as it detracted from the nice interior of the boat.

The Aqualine was the only boat which we viewed with this issue but then again is was the only boat to have the Alde Compact gas system fitted.

Thanks for the info,

Andrew

However, there isn't an awful lot of veneer to be able to rub down. You might go through the veneer, before getting rid of the dark - depending on how it was created in the first place, and how deep it goes. 

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Bee said:

Have to say that looks more like damp but quite why or how is a bit of a puzzle. I wonder if warm air holding more moisture = more humidity and damp wood?  I should think the insulation is spray foam and nothing to worry about but it is odd. Incidentally and as a personal view the quality of the insulation would very important indeed if I was looking at a boat to buy.

Whilst it is true that warm air can hold more moisture than cold air, the moisture can only condense out onto a surface which is at or below the dew point.

As the bottom part of the boat is below canal level, it is likely to be warmer than further up the sides, which are exposed to the air in colder weather.

• Greenie 1

On 09/10/2020 at 11:01, Higgs said:

However, there isn't an awful lot of veneer to be able to rub down. You might go through the veneer, before getting rid of the dark - depending on how it was created in the first place, and how deep it goes. 

The boat is advertised as a 2012 model so not old at all. I reckon the stain (as I'm calling it) has been there for some time as it looked and felt to be quite engrained from what I can recall.

The wood is only thin so I suspect the veneer is thin too.

After reading all of the informative responses on here I've got a feeling that a straight forward clean-up may not be possible.

It's a shame that I couldn't visit the boat again as I really want to examen it further.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

All the best,

Andrew

28 minutes ago, Blue Knight said:

The boat is advertised as a 2012 model so not old at all. I reckon the stain (as I'm calling it) has been there for some time as it looked and felt to be quite engrained from what I can recall.

The wood is only thin so I suspect the veneer is thin too.

After reading all of the informative responses on here I've got a feeling that a straight forward clean-up may not be possible.

It's a shame that I couldn't visit the boat again as I really want to examen it further.

Thanks to everyone who has replied.

All the best,

Andrew

Can you give the surveyor a quick call and ask to to look and comment ?

(He's not been yet has he ?)

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Can you give the surveyor a quick call and ask to to look and comment ?

(He's not been yet has he ?)

Hi Alan, the staining which I refer to is associated with a different boat to one which I'm buying.

I was just intrigued as to why the wood had blackened above the small fin-style Alde system. 

Thanks for the reply and sorry for any confusion.

All the best,

Andrew

4 minutes ago, Blue Knight said:

Hi Alan, the staining which I refer to is associated with a different boat to one which I'm buying.

I was just intrigued as to why the wood had blackened above the small fin-style Alde system. 

Thanks for the reply and sorry for any confusion.

All the best,

Andrew

There has been so many ....................................

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There has been so many ....................................

So true sir.

If this was a motorhome forum then I would be advising the newbies on anything and everything.

Sadly for me I'm now the newbie but I'm getting there........slowly!

All the best,

Andrew

• Love 1

14 hours ago, Blue Knight said:

So true sir.

If this was a motorhome forum then I would be advising the newbies on anything and everything.

Sadly for me I'm now the newbie but I'm getting there........slowly!

All the best,

Andrew

Why are Hymer A class so bloomin expensive? :D

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2020 at 11:30, mrsmelly said:

Why are Hymer A class so bloomin expensive? :D

Now you're talking my lingo ?

We've moved from British built vans to French built and now German and we'll be sticking with German stuff now.

The missus and I were supposed to visit Germany in April this year to have a pre-order chat with our preferred German manufacturer but the virus stopped our plans and we've since reverted to my long term wish to buy a narrowboat.

I just hope it turns out to be everything I want it to be; fingers crossed ?

All the best,

Andrew

• Happy 2