Sagging paint ?

colmac

Featured Posts

Have just been painting my well decks with Hammerite and, during a lull in proceedings, was reading the tin. The instruction said, " do not overpaint as this can result in paint sag"I was wondering if anyone could inform me how paint  "sags" Thank you.

Hammarite is an odd paint. I think it has 2 incompatible solvents, one for the base colour and another for the hammer effect that separate slightly on drying. One dries before the other so on a vertical surface it can separate and sag if applied too heavily.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, colmac said:

OK that makes sense on a vertical surface. I should be ok as my decks are horizontal, most of the time.

Still be aware of using too much paint. You can still create uneven tensions in the surface that can lead to wrinkles. 

Any paint, if overapplied cause sag and curtains (same thing). Trust me I'm a expert in fecking it up. Less is more. There are shortcuts in life but too much wet film thickness is excluded.

Edited by mark99

30 minutes ago, colmac said:

Hammered

You will have to leave it at least 3 months to fully dry and harden.  Then in the spring grind down level, and recoat.

This type of paint, either has to be recoated in less than 3 hours, or left to fully harden, for several weeks.  The first creates a very thick blended covering, the second, 2 different layers, each fully cured.

Bod.

On 09/10/2020 at 09:44, Bod said:

You will have to leave it at least 3 months to fully dry and harden.  Then in the spring grind down level, and recoat.

This type of paint, either has to be recoated in less than 3 hours, or left to fully harden, for several weeks.  The first creates a very thick blended covering, the second, 2 different layers, each fully cured.

Bod.

You will possibly find it dangerously slippy when wet. I would seriously consider using a non slip paint.

I had the sagging problem today when shifting coal bags about. I couldn't seem to walk proper like, couldn't stride.  Me underpants elastic had busted and they were sagging down around my knees.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

I had the sagging problem today when shifting coal bags about. I couldn't seem to walk proper like, couldn't stride.  Me underpants elastic had busted and they were sagging down around my knees.

I’m getting to that age too, where mine are beginning to sag down to me knees without support.