Silly signs

Dan1981

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

may I propose Justin, the Vagabond, Churchie and the WC.  

Certainly you may. Who are they?

You think it may be justin time, then? If so, I see the relevance of a W.C.

Edited by Athy

4 hours ago, Murflynn said:

how about the infamous illuminated sign on the M4 that for many years displayed the message:

THIS SIGN IS NOT IN USE

To be fair that's not silly - it's like pages in formal documents saying "This page intentionally left blank". 

• Greenie 1

Not Essex's solution to care in the community, rather a container with a ground-level door you could walk into instead of having to climb a staircase.  The sign only lasted a couple of weeks! It was soon replaced by something less ambiguous (and less amusing) but I didn't photograph that. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typos, clarification

21 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why is that silly? Do you know anything about tides?

That looks like the Morecambe 'flats'.

Those Chinese cockle pickers didn't know about tides.

The Morecambe Bay cockling disaster occurred on the evening of 5 February 2004 at Morecambe Bay in North West England, when at least 21 Chinese undocumented immigrant labourers were drowned by an incoming tide after picking cockles off the Lancashire coast.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why is that silly?...

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That looks like the Morecambe 'flats'. ...

Cardiff Bay - could be any sandy coast.

Why not ban women too?

There was only one sign: applies just here across these rocks? Or all the way along ...? Safe where there isn't a sign?

Could be worrying about tides. Or soft sand. Or because it's a nature reserve. ...

9 hours ago, PeterScott said:

Cardiff Bay - could be any sandy coast.

Why not ban women too?

There was only one sign: applies just here across these rocks? Or all the way along ...? Safe where there isn't a sign?

Could be worrying about tides. Or soft sand. Or because it's a nature reserve. ...

I  would guess  the sign was erected when the stone armour  was placed or topped up and the designer or contractor  did a risk assessment as required by the CDM regulations and decided a sign prohibiting idiots from walking across the stone  armour would be sufficient rather than a balustrade. No sign  should really be necessary  but these days its necessary to assume idiots are quite common.

29 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I  would guess  the sign was erected when the stone armour  was placed or topped up and the designer or contractor  did a risk assessment as required by the CDM regulations and decided a sign prohibiting idiots from walking across the stone  armour would be sufficient rather than a balustrade. No sign  should really be necessary  but these days its necessary to assume idiots are quite common.

Litigation was probably at the forefront of thinking to put a sign there, and less costly than a six foot fence with barbed wire to spoil the access. 

Edited by Higgs

14 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That looks like the Morecambe 'flats'.

Those Chinese cockle pickers didn't know about tides.

The Morecambe Bay cockling disaster occurred on the evening of 5 February 2004 at Morecambe Bay in North West England, when at least 21 Chinese undocumented immigrant labourers were drowned by an incoming tide after picking cockles off the Lancashire coast.

Grange Over Sands ?

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

One of the things I liked about Australia is that they would put up a sign warning you of a dangerous situation, but not actually banning you from going to it or putting a fence up.

42 minutes ago, dor said:

One of the things I liked about Australia is that they would put up a sign warning you of a dangerous situation, but not actually banning you from going to it or putting a fence up.

Isn't that because given the venomous nature of much of the local wildlife they'd have to close the whole of Australia?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, dor said:

As I understand it, that is not considered acceptable under UK H&S. You cannot exempt you or your organisation from liability from a known risk just by putting up a warning. You actually have to take reasonable steps to prevent others from harming themselves. 

Putting up  Trespassers will does not allow you to erect a lethal electric fence just inside the property! Reasonableness figures in H&S as in other legislation deliberately to allow variation under circumstances without having to write endless documents which no-one ever reads. Also applies to shooting at intruders as a farmer discovered to his (and the intruder's) cost.