Silly signs

Dan1981

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngQuiz question:

What is the intended mooring rule to your left?

What is the intended mooring rule to your right?

Clue: they are supposed to be the same.

Which is that for All year the maximum stay is 7 days.

Ho hummmm

Moorings to the right are for NBTA members who because they ascribe to the "No Boats Move Anywhere" club are allowed to moor for 12 months.

'Boaters' moor to the left and are limited to 7 days.

Makes paying your NBTA subs quite attractive.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

20 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

There must be something there I've missed. But it does remind me of a sign I once saw at the base of a tube station escalator: "Dogs Must Be Carried". It was poorly enforced: I was not carrying a dog, but they still let me go up.

spacer.pngQuiz question: This Is  A Silly Sign Because:

(a) It's trying to be serious, but it's silly that said equipment is ever locked away

(b) It's trying to be silly, but who would want to be behind the bar when desperate parent-of-drowning-child rushes in from the lockside...

So out of academic interest, and not suggesting any current emergency, we asked the barstaff: they said that they thought there was a lifering in the beer-cellar somewhere.

More (b) than (a), then.

And the sign replaced a predecessor which was in place in 1985. So someone thought it silly enough to make its replacement:

spacer.png

47 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngQuiz question: This Is  A Silly Sign Because:

(a) It's trying to be serious, but it's silly that said equipment is ever locked away

(b) It's trying to be silly, but who would want to be behind the bar when desperate parent-of-drowning-child rushes in from the lockside...

So out of academic interest, and not suggesting any current emergency, we asked the barstaff: they said that they thought there was a lifering in the beer-cellar somewhere.

More (b) than (a), then.

And the sign replaced a predecessor which was in place in 1985. So someone thought it silly enough to make its replacement:

spacer.png

I read it that it’s the booze that’s the life saver. 
Life saving equipment: one bottle of whisky and a glass, or whatever your choice

• Happy 1

9 hours ago, Athy said:
On 07/10/2020 at 17:07, Jen-in-Wellies said:

"To the Water, Where It Is Better By".

Satire at its finest.

Also quite close to the english translation of the motto of the French Navy:  To the water, it is time!

A l'eau c'est l'heure!

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.png

That's not silly, even if it looks it at first glance.  It's the M61 bridge at Botany Bay at Chorley on the L&L, between bridge 78 and bridge 78aa.

78, 78aa, 78a and 79 were already present when they built the bridge.  What number would you suggest they gave it?

9 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Perhaps they only had "a"s in their box - I'd have gone 78, 78a, 78b, then 78c if necessary    ?

Tam

It's a good try, and it's the normal convention but the bridges were built in the "wrong" order.

Bridges 78 and 79 were built first.

The one built next is between 78 and 79 and is numbered 78a.  Normal convention as you say.

The next one built, 78aa, is between 78 and 78a (not between 78a and 79 so can't be 78b).

Then they built this one between 78aa and 78 so following the same scheme it had to be 78aaa.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Add a bit
  • Greenie 1