Silly signs

Dan1981

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Bod said:

The other side of the post, does it have a sign, saying "From the Locks"?

Bod

There are similar ones at Anderton which are on both sides, giving the distance to the lift or from it.

I have to own up to the fact that, during the winter I was a CRT volunteer ( cruise all summer ) in Stourport. I resigned my commission when they spent a fortune on change of logo and all that involved but this takes the biscuit. Surely, as a charity, they are spending money which is not theirs to spend and should be spent on the canals only.

It is remarkable what can be done with changing images these days.

But I am concerned why such signs need to be erected.  As notices for cyclist to slow down are regularly ignored, a question which needs to be asked is why such signs in the first place. Or is the sign put there for other purposes advising of the fact that the space must be kept clear for boats to down the locks, I wonder. And the "to the locks" is a supplementary addition.  

There are some signs which need to be obeyed like "beware of the weir" ,"low bridge",  tunnel passage times or that topical subject "cill"

Edited by Heartland

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CaRT claim that a quarter of their income is from boaters, so we paid for one side of that sign. If you look very carefully there is a mooring bollard icon on the side facing the water to let you know there are mooring bollards there, just in case you haven't seen them, what with them being painted white, so we get our moneys worth. The far side no doubt says "Away From the Locks" as @Bod reckons. The left hand side says "To the Water, Where It Is Better By".

They missed a trick, 'cause the top doesn't say "To the Ground" and buried in the concrete it might not say "To the Sky", for the benefit of any water voles tunnelling through the bank. Water voles being another CaRT favourite for spending money.

Jen

But the bollards are for the lock not for mooring so the sign appears to get it wrong.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Point of order!!!!!! Plenty of the knobheads dont wear lycra.

They would if they could but they are obeying my new Lycra Limits:   23 years old maximum and 7 stone maximum.

.................Dave

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Heartland said:

As notices for cyclist to slow down are regularly ignored, a question which needs to be asked is why such signs in the first place.

They are being ignored you say? Clearly not enough signs there. CaRT must put more signs up immediately. Perhaps in some sort of chicane formation.

49 minutes ago, dmr said:

They would if they could but they are obeying my new Lycra Limits:   23 years old maximum and 7 stone maximum.

.................Dave

Lycra is a privilege, not a right.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

CaRT claim that a quarter of their income is from boaters, so we paid for one side of that sign. If you look very carefully there is a mooring bollard icon on the side facing the water to let you know there are mooring bollards there, just in case you haven't seen them, what with them being painted white, so we get our moneys worth. The far side no doubt says "Away From the Locks" as @Bod reckons. The left hand side says "To the Water, Where It Is Better By".

They missed a trick, 'cause the top doesn't say "To the Ground" and buried in the concrete it might not say "To the Sky", for the benefit of any water voles tunnelling through the bank. Water voles being another CaRT favourite for spending money.

Jen

Thanks for pointing all that out Jen - I hadn't realised the extra mile they'd gone for us boatists, bless 'em. I've sent them another 200 quid.

3 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Thanks for pointing all that out Jen - I hadn't realised the extra mile they'd gone for us boatists, bless 'em. I've sent them another 200 quid.

Only £200? What about all the water voles who'll starve this winter? Tiny Tim, the sign makers son dying of consumption? All your fault.

Jen?

<advertising Feature>Buy Your Waterways Signs From R Cratchett and Sons. Sign Makers to the Cycling and Rambling Trust and other Fine Charities</Advertising feature>

spacer.pngQuiz question:

What is the intended mooring rule to your left?

What is the intended mooring rule to your right?

Clue: they are supposed to be the same.

Which is that for All year the maximum stay is 7 days.

Ho hummmm

11 minutes ago, PeterScott said:

spacer.pngQuiz question:

What is the intended mooring rule to your left?

What is the intended mooring rule to your right?

Clue: they are supposed to be the same.

Which is that for All year the maximum stay is 7 days.

Ho hummmm

£25 a day times 358 ('cause you get 7 days a year free) is £8,950 a year. A bargain for a London mooring!

CaRT claim their mooring fees are based on the local going rate. If I was an owner of London moorings I would be very annoyed about being undercut like this.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies