Couple quit jobs to live on a boat

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Warning : Not a Narrowboat on a Canal story.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/couple-who-quit-jobs-to-live-on-a-boat-reveal-what-life-off-land-is-like-13381153/

Couple who quit jobs to live on a boat reveal what life off land is like.

If you’ve ever been on holiday and thought ‘what if I just never went back?’ you’re not alone. Ryan Osborne, 34, and Elena Manighetti, 33, had that same thought while they were on holiday in May 2016. But rather than leaving it as a thought, they simply decided they didn’t want to return to their jobs in civil engineering and marketing, and chose to turn their lives around.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/couple-who-quit-jobs-to-live-on-a-boat-reveal-what-life-off-land-is-like-13381153/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Warning : Not a Narrowboat on a Canal story.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/couple-who-quit-jobs-to-live-on-a-boat-reveal-what-life-off-land-is-like-13381153/

Couple who quit jobs to live on a boat reveal what life off land is like.

If you’ve ever been on holiday and thought ‘what if I just never went back?’ you’re not alone. Ryan Osborne, 34, and Elena Manighetti, 33, had that same thought while they were on holiday in May 2016. But rather than leaving it as a thought, they simply decided they didn’t want to return to their jobs in civil engineering and marketing, and chose to turn their lives around.

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/06/couple-who-quit-jobs-to-live-on-a-boat-reveal-what-life-off-land-is-like-13381153/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

Nice if you can afford to give up work.

Couple move onto boat, what a wonderful and unique idea, bet that's never been done before ?

Actually I've got a vague memory of somebody else doing this about 12 years ago, I think it might have been me.

Think I will give this one a miss unless other forum members say its worth a look.

I expect next week that will be doing a youtube channel teaching everybody else how to do it ?

...........Dave

• Greenie 1

It’s quite interesting that the article makes no mention of how they earn a living. Doesn’t matter what kind of life you are prepared to live, food has to be paid for (unlike a seal humans cannot live on fish alone)

11 minutes ago, dmr said:

I expect next week that will be doing a youtube channel teaching everybody else how to do it ?

I was just thinking about that... sounds great but how are they going to pay for food/fuel/fixing their boat - I was surprised they hadn't started a YouTube channel yet and tried to become professional youtubers. But then it's a crowded space, there's seemingly way more sailing vloggers than narrowboaters, and many of them are rather good at it, so might find it hard to attract enough viewers to make it financially worthwhile.

In days gone by, they could have sold house, car etc. and invested the proceeds for income; but at the moment it's hard to earn more than about 2% on a deposit without undue risk, so who knows what they live on? They may both be from moneyed families I suppose.

What are "pool noodles"?

I came across a lady at a set of locks who commented on my kids life jackets, then pointed at her grandkids and explained how she had just sewn half a pool noodle into a T shirt for each of them. My wife commented later that it will at least make recovery of the bodies easier. Who knows what would have happened if they fell in, looked likely they would have gone over their heads and probably twisted round their arms and neck.

4 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

Nice couple. A lot of people are trying to retire as soon as possible and spend their time travelling or doing what they really like. There is actually a movement for this sort of thinking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FIRE_movement

I was in the fortunate position to be able to retire at aged 46, although not a full-time liveaboards we do tend to spend 4-6 months of the Summer (season !!!!) aboard and cruising.

Even this year we have managed from Mid July (after the 5 mile travel limit was lifted) until 23rd October when the boat is being lifted out for the Winter.

• Love 1

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I was in the fortunate position to be able to retire at aged 46, although not a full-time liveaboards we do tend to spend 4-6 months of the Summer (season !!!!) aboard and cruising.

Even this year we have managed from Mid July (after the 5 mile travel limit was lifted) until 23rd October when the boat is being lifted out for the Winter.

you are living my dream mate... 

my actual dream is to live in uk in summer months and f*ck off for the rest... I only need few more quid... :)

this might be a personal question so feel free to ignore, but did you make money from business? I dont see how it is possible for a salaried person other than high level exec in some big company.

Edited by restlessnomad

Just now, restlessnomad said:

you are living my dream mate... 

my actual dream is to live in uk in summer months and f*ck off for the rest... I only need few more quid... :)

No1 Son (his Wife & daughter) live in Cambodia and we could live there 'by the Sea' for the 'Winter' but having visited a few times, there is NO WAY I could put up with the heat etc.

• Greenie 1

We had a break like this years ago.   I started a business in 1964 which expanded rapidly and 5 years later employed a manager, sold the house and cars and bought an old motorsailer in Malta.   Two years later we arrived back in Falmouth, sold the boat and went back to the business.   Loved every minute and always had some type of boat since, in the med or on the cut.

• Greenie 2

On 07/10/2020 at 14:29, Athy said:

In days gone by, they could have sold house, car etc. and invested the proceeds for income; but at the moment it's hard to earn more than about 2% on a deposit without undue risk, so who knows what they live on? They may both be from moneyed families I suppose.

Where do you get your 2% from, it used to be simple but this year it seems impossible. I remember my dad retiring and saying they were poor pensioners only getting 10% on their savings and I was a struggling farher of two, paying 14% on a mortgage. His disposable income was about 3 times mine even though he was a poor pensioner.

23 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I remember those days. It was a struggle 

We still had it better in those days. yes we paid high interest but my houses cost peanuts and went up daily in value usualy doubling in less than five years tops. I am in Cornwall today in Looe and a bungalow I bought in 1998 for 46k is on the market for 265k as I type. I was earning about 30k ish at the time, my son is doing the same job today on 68k would have to borrow nearly four times his income wheras I borrowed one and a half times and it was a doddle. Houses I bought in the early 80s were even easier to buy. One of our grandsons bought last year and will be about 306 years old by the time he pays his off.

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We still had it better in those days. yes we paid high interest but my houses cost peanuts and went up daily in value usualy doubling in less than five years tops. I am in Cornwall today in Looe and a bungalow I bought in 1998 for 46k is on the market for 265k as I type. I was earning about 30k ish at the time, my son is doing the same job today on 68k would have to borrow nearly four times his income wheras I borrowed one and a half times and it was a doddle. Houses I bought in the early 80s were even easier to buy. One of our grandsons bought last year and will be about 306 years old by the time he pays his off.

I don't think you have thought this through:

1998             46K

2003             92K

2008             184K

2013              386K

2018              736K

So the kids today are having things better than when you talk about doubling every 5 years.

EDIT to add with regard to house price inflation obviously.

Edited by Jerra

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I don't think you have thought this through:

1998             46K

2003             92K

2008             184K

2013              386K

2018              736K

So the kids today are having things better than when you talk about doubling every 5 years.

EDIT to add with regard to house price inflation obviously.

They dont double every five years now though and havnt for years. I sold my last house in 2007 and it went down for the next ten years. Facts are we had it soooooooooooooo much easier in the eighties than kids today, vastly easier. We also didnt even need a deposit if we didnt want to. I put zero deposit down on my first house for instance. Try that today for instance.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

They dont double every five years now though and havnt for years. 

Exactly my point.   You continually look back to the past, you were implying things were easier when you had to pay high interest but the value doubled.

Currently interest is low and house prices are not increasing at anything like the rate they were.