" Season "

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Dan1981 said:

I was thinking the boating season lasts 11 months a year, 1st Sept - 31st July ?

Actualy that certainly makes sense. We dont go out during school holidays or ever on bank holidays, perhaps CART should do their stoppage programme at such times :D

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Dan1981 said:

I was thinking the boating season lasts 11 months a year, 1st Sept - 31st July ?

Mine used to - we always aimed to be back to our mooring by the time the kids broke up for the summer. Last year though, I realised that we found ourselves stuck in traffic jams and the wrong side of motorway closures so often that I wondered whether those tactics were either wrong or a bit outdated. This year, we were out and about throughout the school holidays reading stories of how the canals we were on, including the Ashby and the Caldon, were the busiest anyone had ever seen them.  We had a fine old time! We'll be staying out through the summer holidays in future.

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

Mine used to - we always aimed to be back to our mooring by the time the kids broke up for the summer. Last year though, I realised that we found ourselves stuck in traffic jams and the wrong side of motorway closures so often that I wondered whether those tactics were either wrong or a bit outdated. This year, we were out and about throughout the school holidays reading stories of how the canals we were on, including the Ashby and the Caldon, were the busiest anyone had ever seen them.  We had a fine old time! We'll be staying out through the summer holidays in future.

When my kids were young I always took them out of school for holidays rather than pay the double rates of school holiday time, i worked shifts and didnt agree with running my life round school holiday times. Nowadays of course parents get slapped wrists for doing this to include fines in some cases.

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

When my kids were young I always took them out of school for holidays rather than pay the double rates of school holiday time, i worked shifts and didnt agree with running my life round school holiday times. Nowadays of course parents get slapped wrists for doing this to include fines in some cases.

Not just in some cases, and its the local authority who levy it not the school.

£60 per parent, per child last time we got fined, which goes up double that if not paid within 21 days

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

£60 per parent, per child last time we got fined, which goes up double that if not paid within 21 days

Still a big saving then on costs of holidays during school holidays.

2 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

Crikey, Dominic Cummings took all the kids out of school - he's got quite a bill coming!

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Still a big saving then on costs of holidays during school holidays.

yup, you are not wrong, £120 fine to miss her penultimate week at junior school where they were doing nothing but sit and play games against the saving of near £2k to take the same hol two weeks later. it was a no brainer as they say.

• Happy 1

Just now, Hudds Lad said:

yup, you are not wrong, £120 fine to miss her penultimate week at junior school where they were doing nothing but sit and play games against the saving of near £2k to take the same hol two weeks later. it was a no brainer as they say.

Completely agree. My daughter has been fined for taking her kids out of school but saved huge amounts. She did once go into the school and defend her position and the fine was dropped. She did mention during the discussion that her kids were not suffering from the few days out as they were still top of the class!! lol. My two youngest who I used to take out of junior school have also done well if bits of paper in later life are all thats needed. The kids never missed a day at any other time so again I think its a one size fits all approach and we all know that idea doesnt work.

28 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My daughter has been fined for taking her kids out of school but saved huge amounts. 

Didn't one father take a case, and I think won' because the regs say the kids must have "regular attendance" he pointed out that including the holiday his kid was in the high 90% where as there were kids with much worse attendance and never been on holiday.   Or do I miss remember.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Didn't one father take a case, and I think won' because the regs say the kids must have "regular attendance" he pointed out that including the holiday his kid was in the high 90% where as there were kids with much worse attendance and never been on holiday.   Or do I miss remember.

You may well be correct, it has been challenged but at least one parent i know of took it to court and lost. When I worked shifts in the police I didnt wish to run my time off round school holidays so took them out, it was years ago now of course but apart from the odd time I did that my kids went every day and did as well as they wanted academicaly anyway. I didnt I hasten to add take them out when in later school years though my daughter has with hers who are to use that awful term " Very bright " and doing very well in that manner. Its a tough one I suppose and open to abuse.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

As what is now a hobby boater, I do think of the period from mid March to the end of October as my boating season. The other four months I just check it every now and then but have no intention to potter off.

The phrase has always been used to cover the main hire boat season, from Easterish to Autumnish. I don't see it as a problem. The way things are going, CRT calling it an open or closed season isn't going to make any difference to the fact that half the system will be unusable at any one time, due to water shortages, floods, lock failures, bank breaches and the odd bridge collapse.

And what exactly is a "hobby boater"? As a boater who travels around the system from May until October, and lives in a house for the rest of the year, I took it as a real insult to be referred to disparagingly as a hobby boater by someone who lives permanently on a boat  but never moves except to go for blacking every four or five years.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

And what exactly is a "hobby boater"? As a boater who travels around the system from May until October, and lives in a house for the rest of the year, I took it as a real insult to be referred to disparagingly as a hobby boater by someone who lives permanently on a boat  but never moves except to go for blacking every four or five years.

Its your hobby isn't it so what's wrong with being called a hobby boater? This boater moves for blacking every two years rather than five though. 

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

Children should attend 380 school attendances each school year, except fairground, gypsy and BARGEE children (aged 6 and over) who must attend a minimum of 200 sessions in any rolling 12 month period.

Source : 'Department for Children Schools and Families'.

2 hours ago, monkeyhanger said:

Don't see why it's an insult. A hobby is usually something you enjoy and that costs a lot, and that you think is worth doing, but don't do for a living. It's often a better description than "leisure boater", which implies one boats in one's spare time when you can't find anything better to do, rather than as with a hobby, when the important thing is playing with the boat.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Don't see why it's an insult. A hobby is usually something you enjoy and that costs a lot, and that you think is worth doing, but don't do for a living. It's often a better description than "leisure boater", which implies one boats in one's spare time when you can't find anything better to do, rather than as with a hobby, when the important thing is playing with the boat.

There are very few who are not hobby boaters, If you do do it as a hobby you do it as a professional and how many of them are about, a couple of hundred

The first time I set foot on a narrow boat was on a cold day in January 2012. My brother needed crew for the day, we covered a few miles and locks, and I was hooked.

What season?

I'm 65 and the two surgeons who've operated on me in recent years, Feb 2018 and Jan 2020, were both quite a lot younger than me. But they did well ... because both operations were quite drastic and I've reached 65.

I don't think I met the first surgeon who operated on me. Someone took my appendix out in Ludwigshafen, West Germany as it then was, in 1973. They did OK.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I follow and accept your reasoning. Perhaps it was the tone of voice used to refer to me as a hobby boater. I took it to mean that I was not a "real" boater and the other person  is because they live aboard.  Albeit a boater who doesn't "boat". More of a "floater", really

38 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I follow and accept your reasoning. Perhaps it was the tone of voice used to refer to me as a hobby boater. I took it to mean that I was not a "real" boater and the other person  is because they live aboard.  Albeit a boater who doesn't "boat". More of a "floater", really

You were wrong in you thoughts. Apart from the fact that for over thirty years I have travelled most of the network several times I also hold 3 boatmasters licences and have worked the Trent as a skipper just for one matter on a boat whilst small at only 100 tons is more boat than any narrowboat. Its not meant to be a derogatory term as Boating for many is a hobby as is angling and a whole host of other pass times ?

technically the term "hobby boater" may not be derogatory, but i think when used in this context it was meant that way, like "backseat driver" or "armchair referee".

the person using the term implying that you are a "hobby" boater merely playing at boating where they are obviously professional as they do it 24/7.

just another bullshit term to put someone else down and make themselves feel all superior.

don't feel bad as a hobby boater though, i'm only a shareboater so you're way above me on the pecking order :D 

18 hours ago, Jerra said:

Yes.

Sadly, that pillock lives on the IoW.

How would you feel if teachers took the same attitude about taking themselves out of school in term time in order to save money?

27 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes.

Sadly, that pillock lives on the IoW.

How would you feel if teachers took the same attitude about taking themselves out of school in term time in order to save money?

Being a retired teacher I would have loved to have done that.  However for the majority of the children who did take time off for holidays it made little or no difference.   I was more concerned about those who took time off for lambing and in the long gone by "Tattie picking".

Wasn't the long school summer holiday introduced so that children could be out of school for harvest time?

Me being in IT, my calendar varied and agriculture was not involved, so the one time I took a child out of school during term was to enable my children including my daughter, then 15, to escape their mother and stepfather. Her teachers were helpful because they knew it was good for her welfare. She and my son, who was off school for a teacher training day, waited for their mother to go out to work, finished their packing and left; we returned later for their two cats. Perhaps the moral of this odd story is that teachers know best and should have a certain discretion?

My boating season should start within the next few days as the Thames appears to be slowly coming off red boards.

3 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

technically the term "hobby boater" may not be derogatory, but i think when used in this context it was meant that way, like "backseat driver" or "armchair referee".

the person using the term implying that you are a "hobby" boater merely playing at boating where they are obviously professional as they do it 24/7.

just another bullshit term to put someone else down and make themselves feel all superior.

don't feel bad as a hobby boater though, i'm only a shareboater so you're way above me on the pecking order :D 

Nothing wrong with being a shareholder in a boat.

After 19 years of hiring I was a shareboater for 22 years before buying my own boat. It enabled me to see almost all of the network whilst being constrained by the demands of my work.