" Season "

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

22 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Nothing wrong with being a shareholder in a boat.

After 19 years of hiring I was a shareboater for 22 years before buying my own boat. It enabled me to see almost all of the network whilst being constrained by the demands of my work.

i know that, you know that, but there have been a couple of occasions where i've been chatting to others at locks (our boat is not shiny) and have had a noticeable change in attitude when they ask how long you're out for and you reply "just a week as it's a shareboat", sad really but that's life as they say.

8 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i know that, you know that, but there have been a couple of occasions where i've been chatting to others at locks (our boat is not shiny) and have had a noticeable change in attitude when they ask how long you're out for and you reply "just a week as it's a shareboat", sad really but that's life as they say.

I never experienced that when I was a shareboater. However I do think that boating snobbery and inverse snobbery is on the increase. 

Having a shiny boat (it has recently been repainted) I have been blanked on a couple of occasions by scruffy looking boats when I have waved hello at them. ?

It is a shame that some people dont seem to realise that:

a) we are all boaters, and,

b)  we were all beginners once.

Edited by cuthound
Phat phingers
  • Greenie 2

16 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

There is a simple answer to that, just say "only a week this time" no mention of it being a share.

10 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You were wrong in you thoughts. Apart from the fact that for over thirty years I have travelled most of the network several times I also hold 3 boatmasters licences and have worked the Trent as a skipper just for one matter on a boat whilst small at only 100 tons is more boat than any narrowboat. Its not meant to be a derogatory term as Boating for many is a hobby as is angling and a whole host of other pass times ?

As it is for you now as you dont work at it any more

17 hours ago, Jerra said:

There is a simple answer to that, just say "only a week this time" no mention of it being a share.

11 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Why tell them? Why not "just a week this time"?

Sorry Jerra - great minds etc. 

but why should i hide it? why should their attitude change?

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

but why should i hide it? why should their attitude change?

I have no idea why their attitudes should change, but your post suggested you didn't like it happening.    If you don't like it happening don't mention it, if you like to use it as a sort of test to see what sort of people they are fair enough.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I have no idea why their attitudes should change, but your post suggested you didn't like it happening.    If you don't like it happening don't mention it, if you like to use it as a sort of test to see what sort of people they are fair enough.

not so much bothered as confused by it, perhaps i do use it as a form of test, suppose i'd have to think about it a bit more but it's already becoming more of a thing than i'm wanting it to be.

13 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Playing about blowing a musical intrument (especially with like-minded people) comes a very close second!

Why only blowing -- aren't you being a teeny bit windist?