Fobney Lock, Reading; nb stranded below it tangled in fallen tree

Peter X

Featured Posts

I first posted this in the South Oxford topic, but I think it needs its own topic?

Of definite interest to me because I'm scheduled to join the NBT boats at Osney on Thu 8/10/20, then we go hope to proceed down to Reading and into the K&A

the Kennet is on red boards and there's a nb stuck below Fobney Lock entangled with a fallen tree...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18484-river-kennet-between-fobney-lock-105-and-county-lock-106

I guess CRT will have that open again within days. but has anyone got the latest info on it?

I didn't see anything on Facebook about that boat. It's usually the sort of thing that makes it on there! People do do some daft things. A chap here tried to set off up the Thames to Radcot, got spun round and pulled across the weir guards where his boat is now stuck, fortunately still floating. He didn't realise the river was on red boards and going faster than usual!

I doubt you'll be going anywhere with the NBT boats until mid next week at least. I think I saw them struggling up to Radcot last week (because it was narrow and shallow not from the flow)? Are they at Osney now? That reach is generally the last to come off red boards as it has to be kept so fast to stop it going into East Street which is below river level!

If they are at Onsey now, there is now way I can see them moving on Thursday, I would love to be proved wrong of course.  If you do then it will watch out for you going through Abingdon, that should be interesting, you will probably be doing 10mph over the ground to keep any control.  Is this a pair?

A boat moved in Abingdon this morning, not certain what his intentions were but I was told he was trying to get through the bridge to the wall that you would normally consider high.  He did not make it, going downstream the current and spun the 70 narrowboat round, but they managed to get into the bank just down from us, but it was very touch and go.

On the good news front, the bottom 2 reaches of the Thames have come off red.

• Happy 1

Last I heard, the NBT boats, i.e. the pair Nutfield (borrowed) and Brighton (our butty) are at Osney awaiting decisions; fresh crew (probably including me), maybe some shopping and then the decision to proceed down river, subject to the flow. I won't be steering the motor anywhere on this trip except in an emergency, because (a) we have a very experienced captain to do that, and (b) my doctors would rather I didn't. They know a lot about neuro-oncology but less about narrow boats, however they do know my condition means I'm legally barred from driving a road vehicle.

The NBT might have struggled going up the upper Thames last week because quite heavily loaded. Having unloaded some cargo up there, then more on our way down to Reading, I would anticipate that if CRT can get this boat and tree cleared at Fobney Lock by then, and the Kennet's flow is not too much, we can proceed up the Kennet.

I heard in my time at Oxford (1973-76) that Port Meadow regularly gets flooded, it has done for centuries, but no doubt the EA will have their lock keepers letting as much water down river at each weir as is safe, hence the portion from Sunbury to Teddington being down to yellow boards.

They just have a pretty big weir and keep the flow really fast past the East Street moorings! Plus there are several side channels through Oxford like the Hinksey stream. The Kennet will be fine especially going upstream. I made it in an average powered narrowboat last October in a strong flow. The upstream landings at Goring and Whitchurch are the hardest bit of your journey as you can get slammed sideways into the pontoons and I'd imagine a heavy boat could cause some real damage doing that wrong!

On 06/10/2020 at 16:57, Peter X said:

I first posted this in the South Oxford topic, but I think it needs its own topic?

Of definite interest to me because I'm scheduled to join the NBT boats at Osney on Thu 8/10/20, then we go hope to proceed down to Reading and into the K&A

the Kennet is on red boards and there's a nb stuck below Fobney Lock entangled with a fallen tree...

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18484-river-kennet-between-fobney-lock-105-and-county-lock-106

I guess CRT will have that open again within days. but has anyone got the latest info on it?

CaRT have removed both tree and boat according the notice you link to

Thanks, yes I see they've updated the notice; I guessed right, well done CRT.

By the way, that part of the Kennet is still on red boards, as is much of the Thames including Oxford and downstream of it, so my trip is still delayed.

A footnote: I see the Kennet through Reading "Upstream of Blake's lock" has now gone from red board to yellow "caution stream decreasing", which makes it safer to get through in either direction. But Caversham to Sonning on the Thames is still on red, so if anyone's planning at the moment to go through Reading whichever way, be patient, wait and see.