Another Quiet Mooring Gone

pearley

Featured Posts

Moored at Wood End Lock on the T & M last night. Moored there often but since last July the field opposite is on the throes of becoming a large compound for HS2 with equipment moving about, reverse alarms sounding and a generator running in the early morning.

• Sad 1

The road between Southam and Leamington is about to be shut for 9 months by HS2 and has been announced without any consultation. On the A361 to Banbury they have taken 2 years to alter a crossroads and have not yet finished the Bypass at Chipping Warden even though they shut the main road every weekend. At this rate the railway is many many years away and the fat salary cheques will keep rolling in for the so called directors.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dav and Pen said:

. On the A361 to Banbury they have taken 2 years to alter a crossroads and have not yet finished the Bypass at Chipping Warden

Yes, we, all unawares, got caught up in this mess a couple of weeks ago.

"The biggest dig" on iplayer is interesting viewing.  Hundreds of archeologists exhuming 50,000 bodies from a London cemetery and a mere 6,500 from one in Birmingham. All to make space for the hs2 of course,  they actually started in 2017. Every skeleton carefully removed,  cleaned and recorded before reburial hopefully somewhere safe. Quite fascinating but imagine the cost involved?

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

I'm certainly no green warrior myself but I can't agree that any amount of jobs created makes up for the environmental devastation. 

Is Hs2 going to be electric powered trains? Could put charging points in the areas near the canal ??

2 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

Is Hs2 going to be electric powered trains? Could put charging points in the areas near the canal ??

Or just a third rail along the towpath... no charging required, instant motive power ;)

13 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Came up from Leamington to Stockton today by boat.

Heart ripped out of the countryside above Fosse locks, and for what exactly.

The spread of devastation around this entire project can only be to create a chain of lucrative development opportunities along the route, some of the clearance and land taken through compulsory purchase extends for over a mile away from the actual line.

12 minutes ago, BWM said:

The spread of devastation around this entire project can only be to create a chain of lucrative development opportunities along the route, some of the clearance and land taken through compulsory purchase extends for over a mile away from the actual line.

I suppose it's not dissimilar to what the Metropolitan Railway did in the late 19th/ early 20th centuries when they not only built new lines but created "Metroland" around and alongside them. But the scale is much vaster now.

I'm no fan of HS2 (an enormous white elephant designed so that construction company shareholders can trouser enormous profits) but it seems a little odd for the fans of a canal network to be criticising it on environmental grounds. Think of the devastation caused when the T&M Canal was built in the 18th Century, and imagine how the locals felt about it back then.

• Greenie 2

23 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm no fan of HS2 (an enormous white elephant designed so that construction company shareholders can trouser enormous profits) but it seems a little odd for the fans of a canal network to be criticising it on environmental grounds. Think of the devastation caused when the T&M Canal was built in the 18th Century, and imagine how the locals felt about it back then.

I believe that if there was already a T&M canal there and the new one was being built to shave 30 minutes off a journey time they would have felt about the same as I do.

2 hours ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Can't use third rail, you'll keep bumping into "constant cruisers" permanently moored

You're not wrong with that one. 

Not many of you will remember that a few years back charging points were actually installed on the Chesterfield canal for a future electric hire boat that never happened. 

If it did happen though it would never have been successful as dossers soon discovered the posts were permanently on!  The signs said something like " Please leave moorings clear for hire boat" 

Yeah right.