Back cabin bed cushions

Featured Posts

It’s time to order some foam for the back cabin bed. It’ll be our principal bed so naturally we want to make it as comfortable as possible - even though the mattress is only four inches thick. 
Can anyone offer advice on the best sort of foam, mattress toppers etc for a good nights sleep. 

I bought an Italian Latex mattress and cut it into 3 sections, one for the side bench, one for the flap and one in the hole, very careful measurements and cutting so a very tight fit, during the day the piece in the hole stands on edge with the pillows balanced on top and the quilt behind it under the gunwale. the piece from the flap stands up in the hole in front of the pillows and first piece and then the flap holds them all in place. Its as comfortable as our bed at home

I have built a stepped side bed so during the day two pieces can sit on top of each other with the third remaining in the bed hole. Will either chop up an existing mattress or buy three pieces of foam. What sort of foam is the puzzle. 

Edited by starman

Our foam cushions are in a very hard foam, we then have a memory foam topper that is about an inch thick, a little thicker would be better but at an inch the whole lot including duvet and 6 pillows all just about folds up into the bedbox.

(2 pillows for me, 4 for my wife ? )

I generally like quite a hard bed and this works well for me, sometimes wake up with a few aches and pains but think that's because I have a deerhound sleeping on my legs.

..............Dave

https://www.efoam.co.uk/foam-cut-to-size-shapes.php

We used these and ended up getting 150mm thick, as the thinner ones seem to flatten quite quickly. 

I also decided to make the middle cushion in two halves to make stowing in the cupboard easier, the cover hinges and keeps it in one solid unit.

IMAG1305-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Makso said:

I need to do the same. Thinking of using this website to get my foam. Has anybody used them before?

We are using an outfit called Efoam.

They seem very helpful but I guess the proof of the pudding will be in the eating - or rather the sleeping.