Survey about living afloat

noone

Featured Posts

https://forms.office.com/Pages/ResponsePage.aspx?id=6-c3VPuDGk2_07skfgYb8ajvjVok59JPiUBQM9RebExUMVVaSlVHQVJIU1pPOTA0ME5NOTVFRVpVWi4u

This survey is being conducted by the University of Plymouth and Cardiff University to examine the lifestyles of people living on boats. We are particularly interested in issues around homes, welfare and citizenship and would love to hear your stories as these will help us better understand the benefits and challenges you experience.

It has four main objectives, to: 1. examine why people live on waterways; 2. evaluate how people living on boats access services and employment; 3. study how waterway regulations impact on lifestyles; 4. understand these issues in the context of mobile, boating communities. This project is funded by the British Academy and Leverhulme Trust.

10 hours ago, dmr said:

So is this yet another student project that thinks they have discovered a novel way of life that needs investigating, or does it have a useful purpose ? ?

.............Dave

Data from the questionnaire will be used to write a final report, which will be publically available, as well as academic papers and conference presentations. If you would like to know more, or have any questions about the research, please contact Dr Agatha Herman or Professor Richard Yarwood:

Their words...Not mine!  :P

33 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Data from the questionnaire will be used to write a final report, which will be publically available, as well as academic papers and conference presentations. If you would like to know more, or have any questions about the research, please contact Dr Agatha Herman or Professor Richard Yarwood:

Their words...Not mine!  :P

So an academic exercise by academics and a total waste of time  ?

definition of a PhD (by an academic and engineer from the era when academic papers actually had content)..

"spending 3 years moving bones from one graveyard to another"

..............Dave

11 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

That should improve the responses, as it rules out the Baton Twirlers and Continuous Moorers ...

:giggles:

Except the objectives include "3. study how waterway regulations impact on lifestyles; "

And amongst other questions, the survey asks if you are a member of the NBTA.

I suspect a particular agenda is in play.

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

So an academic exercise by academics and a total waste of time  ?

definition of a PhD (by an academic and engineer from the era when academic papers actually had content)..

"spending 3 years moving bones from one graveyard to another"

..............Dave

?   Know how many pickles are in the jar,but cant get the fekin lid off!!..?

B.t.w. I dont post these surveys because I support them!...Im just sharing the information.?

41 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

?   Know how many pickles are in the jar,but cant get the fekin lid off!!..?

B.t.w. I dont post these surveys because I support them!...Im just sharing the information.?

I spent a lot of my life working close to academics, including a few real top ones, this is horribly true.

One of them walked through our much used machine shop and said, "what are all these big green things?, surely you don't need them, why can't you just write papers like the rest of us?",

................Dave

I remember reading about the fly boats and how they figured out that if they got the horses to pull the bow of their boat onto their bow wave,they could take 2 horses away and the wave would keep them at the same speed.Thus saving 2 horses....YEARS later,someone put pen to paper and came up with a "formula" for how the wave is created and its effect on the boat !!.?

15 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

I remember reading about the fly boats and how they figured out that if they got the horses to pull the bow of their boat onto their bow wave,they could take 2 horses away and the wave would keep them at the same speed.Thus saving 2 horses....YEARS later,someone put pen to paper and came up with a "formula" for how the wave is created and its effect on the boat !!.?

Soliton wave.  It's been extensively discussed on here over several topics.

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/search/&q=Soliton&quick=1

Soliton wave!..Knew it had a name...Im using that the next time someone passes by a bit "nippy"...Concerned face,concerned voice..."watch out mate,you have a huge soliton wave at your bow!"...See what the reaction is!.?

Thanks for the links,but looks like far more reading than I will ever have battery power!.