Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Izz

Snob boaters

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

 

Or time in parsecs?

 

I have an article somewhere on silly units.  Atto is a prexix that means 10^-18.  So if you have a population of 10^-18 boys, that is 1 attoboy. That was one of the better ones. I can't find the book.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/10/2020 at 17:22, Izz said:

A snotty shiny boater just gave me and my boat the right stink eye, then came over with a look on his face like someone was holding a turd under his nose and asked if I was staying long.

 

I told him I'll stay as long as I like.

 

If you're one of these types, I hope your area gets invaded by a horde of real hardcore water gyppos from London who are A LOT less polite and quiet than I am!

 

Thanks for reading.

 

Isobel.

We have had the polar opposite this latest couple of weeks with people on "pikey" boats assuming we are going to be snobby until we have spoken too and had drinks with them. 

 

It works both ways 🤔

  • Greenie 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

 

Not relative to the sun.   Floyd worked it out, there is a Dark Side Of The Moon.

There is no dark aside of the moon really. As a matter of fact it’s all dark.

 

ETA:  TPF roadie (allegedly).

Edited by dor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fun injection required.

There is a dark side of the moon, but because it keeps changing it's a poor choice as a location to meet someone.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Of course it doesn't. It's flat, like the Earth, so if it did it would get all thin and then get fat again.

Oh.

Surely its wedge shaped. Proper cheese is always wedge shaped.🙂

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 'cruising shirt', padded check, lumberjack style. When we set out in July for a holiday cruise, at the first lock we came to, a lady off a shiny boat coming up looked and said "so you're a liveaboard then?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I have a 'cruising shirt', padded check, lumberjack style. When we set out in July for a holiday cruise, at the first lock we came to, a lady off a shiny boat coming up looked and said "so you're a liveaboard then?"

I get that all the time. Cut off frayed jeans, Cropredy tee shirt and wellingtons give the game away a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:
20 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

I have a 'cruising shirt', padded check, lumberjack style. When we set out in July for a holiday cruise, at the first lock we came to, a lady off a shiny boat coming up looked and said "so you're a liveaboard then?"

I get that all the time. Cut off frayed jeans, Cropredy tee shirt and wellingtons give the game away a bit.

It's not the clothes. It's that they smell faintly of diesel. 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smelling faintly of diesel is not the prerogative of people who live on boats, unless it lingers longer, it’s the aftershave of lister.
Almost everyone who questions us assumes we live aboard. 
we don’t though we did for 28 years.

Maybe it’s the look of people who boat a lot.


When we did live aboard my boss at my last job never knew. I would turn up suit and tie every day, he never realised until one day when he walked past the boat.

I never realised he lived in Stoke Golding either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Surely its wedge shaped. Proper cheese is always wedge shaped.🙂

 

Proper cheese is cylindrical.

 

Fact.

 

 

 

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Fun injection required.

 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I get that all the time. Cut off frayed jeans, Cropredy tee shirt and wellingtons give the game away a bit.

 

But not from you, apparently? :D

Science is fun.

Engineering is interesting.

 

 

 

Music is life (or vice versa).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I have an article somewhere on silly units.  Atto is a prexix that means 10^-18.  So if you have a population of 10^-18 boys, that is 1 attoboy. That was one of the better ones. I can't find the book.   

 

Does it include furlongs per fortnight (the FFF system)?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

 

Does it include furlongs per fortnight (the FFF system)?

 

 

I don't know, I can't find the book.  It may also mention that useful unit, the amp per hour.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I have a 'cruising shirt', padded check, lumberjack style. When we set out in July for a holiday cruise, at the first lock we came to, a lady off a shiny boat coming up looked and said "so you're a liveaboard then?"

I hope you felt suitably honored to be considered a real boater 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I have an article somewhere on silly units.  Atto is a prexix that means 10^-18.  So if you have a population of 10^-18 boys, that is 1 attoboy. That was one of the better ones. I can't find the book.   

I'm 5 femto-light-fortnights tall 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I have an article somewhere on silly units.  Atto is a prexix that means 10^-18.  So if you have a population of 10^-18 boys, that is 1 attoboy. That was one of the better ones. I can't find the book.   

You don't get much of a boy for that amount!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, mark99 said:

I always liked the old unit called "microlamberts"

Cjq48MaUgAARDFt.jpg.32f87603b091cddc74fa2a2a47d88f48.jpg

 

Seems like an odd way of measuring things, but if it works. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 08/10/2020 at 12:22, Scholar Gypsy said:

Oh dear, I am going to have to upgrade my Excel spreadsheet that I use to compute speeds from a series of readings (time, lat, long) from the digital log on my phone (Mxmariner).  At the moment I am assuming the earth is a perfect sphere ....

All together now  -  "The Earth is an Oblate Spheroid"🙂

 

Howard

 

 

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, howardang said:
On 08/10/2020 at 12:22, Scholar Gypsy said:

Oh dear, I am going to have to upgrade my Excel spreadsheet that I use to compute speeds from a series of readings (time, lat, long) from the digital log on my phone (Mxmariner).  At the moment I am assuming the earth is a perfect sphere ....

All together now  -  "The Earth is an Oblate Spheroid"🙂

 

Howard

The only things that are perfect spheres are cows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, howardang said:

All together now  -  "The Earth is an Oblate Spheroid"🙂

 

Howard

 

 

No it's not.

Its flat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.