Snob boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

Better a dipstick, (at least a dipstick has some purpose), than a dickhead, (those who drive anything that costs more than most working stiffs earn in a year).

Back on topic:

Late last year while helping move a quite tidy 57ft narrowboat to its paid for winter mooring we stopped for the night.

Along comes this shiny well crewed seventy footer which starts dithering around clearly looking for somewhere to park.

Now we had tied up leaving a respectful gap between us and the next boat so we indicated that we would move along and make room for them. We did so and then took their lines and helped them tie up.

Did we get even one word of thanks? --- Did we heck! ---  Them's the sort of boater we can do without!

• Greenie 2

For angles, Mr Passingham Indeed suggests that the shed unit of rotation should be the ajar.

Defined as: the angle between a door and its frame when there's a slight draught coming through.

Subsequent discussion indicates that the chord of this angle will be the width of a British Standard Cat.

8 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Well my skoda has a top speed of 155mph (limited) and a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds, 4WD, automatic everything (including parking), a TV and a huge boot. Things have changed a bit in recent years.

Made the terrible mistake of swapping my well knackered but lairy Skoda Vrs for a nice sensible Honda 30 months ago.

Ever since my driving has deteriorated, I can’t see or hear anything and I am thinking of buying a hat.

If I could be bothered I’d do something about it but the Honda has reduced my motivation, and aged me at least 15 years.

• Greenie 2

8 hours ago, Man 'o Kent said:

Better a dipstick, (at least a dipstick has some purpose), than a dickhead, (those who drive anything that costs more than most working stiffs earn in a year).

Back on topic:

Late last year while helping move a quite tidy 57ft narrowboat to its paid for winter mooring we stopped for the night.

Along comes this shiny well crewed seventy footer which starts dithering around clearly looking for somewhere to park.

Now we had tied up leaving a respectful gap between us and the next boat so we indicated that we would move along and make room for them. We did so and then took their lines and helped them tie up.

Did we get even one word of thanks? --- Did we heck! ---  Them's the sort of boater we can do without!

He probably thought you had moored like a selfish isolationist idiot by not leaving him enough space when you first moored.

On 06/10/2020 at 09:43, Richard Fairhurst said:

Oh god no. The ones who call themselves "real boaters" are the worst. Usually Midlanders in their late '60s, called Keith, with a beard. They inevitably have a 1990s NABO sticker saying "CANALS were built for BOATS" in the window and a sarcastic sign about "Which bit of SLOW DOWN don't you understand?". The signwriting used to say "Keith & Mary Pillock", but Mary had the good sense to up sticks as soon as the kids left home and so the "& Mary" bit has been inexpertly painted out.

I generally like pretty much everyone I meet on the waterways, from first-time hire-boaters to the Broom-Broom brigade, but there is a particular breed of supercilious, know-it-all old fart that brings me out in hives.

(With apologies to any 60-something Brummie Keiths on here.)

Hey ! I resemble that remark...........

• Greenie 3

On 13/10/2020 at 19:40, Tracy D'arth said:

He probably thought you had moored like a selfish isolationist idiot by not leaving him enough space when you first moored.

Many moons ago we were moored on The Ashby at what was then the Battlefield moorings.

When we were out on the Shackerstone railway a Challenger (Probably the most exclusive hire in the world)  had moored behind us.

Saw no one about until the following morning when I opened the slide and doors. The male occupant replied to my "Good Morning" With "Are you moving soon as we are having to share mooring rings."

Sorry but at the time of Challenger Hire most of the crews we met were somewhat hauty. 

Challenger Ad.jpg

Edited by Ray T

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

... Challenger (Probably the most exclusive hire in the world)  ...

3 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Sorry but at the time of Challenger Hire most of the crews we met were somewhat hauty. 

Haughty maybe, but that didn't stop the chap who ran them from ending up somewhere less exclusive!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Haughty maybe, but that didn't stop the chap who ran them from ending up somewhere less exclusive!

" Hey psst. Mr. want to by an ex syndicate boat, only been sold to two others."

My words.

https://www.mby.com/news/challenger-syndicateships-boss-is-convicted-of-fraud-totalling-536000-24264

Edited by Ray T

It's odd but the owners who owned a bit of a Challenger boat seemed to give the impression that they were "kings of the canal" and all other boaters, private, shared or hired were lesser mortals.  Ok the boats were smart but I never figured out where the superiority complex came from. 

Haggis

15 minutes ago, haggis said:

It's odd but the owners who owned a bit of a Challenger boat seemed to give the impression that they were "kings of the canal" and all other boaters, private, shared or hired were lesser mortals.  Ok the boats were smart but I never figured out where the superiority complex came from. 

Haggis

I stand correction but I think at the time they were marketed as “Superior boats for superior people.”

17 minutes ago, haggis said:

Haggis

When you find out, let me know, My older brother also has superiority complex, Yet he has never owned a Challenger share.