Snob boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

On 05/10/2020 at 23:56, Izz said:

I don't expect to come across well to nasty snobs, and I'm fine with that.

Oh I’m so with you on that.  Years ago going down Hatton sharing locks with a shiny boat the woman steerer asked me to change sides in the next lock as my boat’s wet exhaust was spraying on their hull! I buttoned my lip and did as she asked, but it has rankled ever since. As her crew was opening the locks all the way down it was worth the seething inside, but really! It’s not as if the wet exhaust was smoky or could mark their hull.

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is 'milli' not 1000 and 'centi' 100 ? (we are not talking dimensions, - ie mm or cm - but the use of the terms)

So a millipede has 1000 legs whilst a centipede has 100.

milli = 1/1000, centi = 1/100 No?

On 07/10/2020 at 19:28, Arthur Marshall said:

Mine's 40 foot, both a starter and finisher as far as narrowboats go. My next one will be a cruiser. It's a bit like posh car drivers, I think. They still only get from A to B, and get stuck in the same traffic as me. Boating is a great thing, and all that matters is that the water stays outside where it belongs. But I agree any snobbery is a minority pastime, though a bit more prevalent than a while back, but then there are more boats about, too.

A Skoda is just as fast at 70 mph on the motorway as a Bentley.

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

No?

Correct.

Milli means 1000 and Centi means 100

When applied to (say) measurements they are fractions of, ie 1000mm in a mt.

As a number unit they are simply that 'a number'

A Roman Centurion was the commander of 100 men (called centuries)

Originally a Legion was around 1000 men (but later became between 4000 and 6000)

A Century is 1/10th of a legion, not, as using your logic, the other way around. The prefix 'milli' comes from the Latin mille, meaning "one thousand" (the Latin plural is milia).

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 07/10/2020 at 19:28, Arthur Marshall said:

Mine's 40 foot, both a starter and finisher as far as narrowboats go. My next one will be a cruiser. It's a bit like posh car drivers, I think. They still only get from A to B, and get stuck in the same traffic as me. Boating is a great thing, and all that matters is that the water stays outside where it belongs. But I agree any snobbery is a minority pastime, though a bit more prevalent than a while back, but then there are more boats about, too.

When I am out on my boat I often enjoy looking at how nice other peoples are, and I feel sorry for them as all they can see as they pass me is my rather less presentable vessel. Not fair, is it?

• Happy 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, alias said:

When I am out on my boat I often enjoy looking at how nice other peoples are, and I feel sorry for them as all they can see as they pass me is my rather less presentable vessel. Not fair, is it?

Out of sympathy for them, you could offer to swop.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

Briefly, yes.

My dad had a Skoda which I borrowed to go to Gloucester in. While I was there it snowed heavily. Easily matched the posh motors and more coming home on snow covered roads. Rear wheel drive with rear engine and not too much power it went bloody well

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

My dad had a Skoda which I borrowed to go to Gloucester in. While I was there it snowed heavily. Easily matched the posh motors and more coming home on snow covered roads. Rear wheel drive with rear engine and not too much power it went bloody well

Yup, they were the poor man's Porsche 911.

15 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

My mate had a Skoda back in the 70's. It had a heated rear window. Kept our hands warm every time he broke down (frequently) and had to push it.

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

My mate had a Skoda back in the 70's. It had a heated rear window. Kept our hands warm every time he broke down (frequently) and had to push it.

Well my skoda has a top speed of 155mph (limited) and a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds, 4WD, automatic everything (including parking), a TV and a huge boot. Things have changed a bit in recent years.

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well my skoda has a top speed of 155mph (limited) and a 0-60 time of 5.5 seconds, 4WD, automatic everything (including parking), a TV and a huge boot. Things have changed a bit in recent years.

But that is not a proper Skoda!

It's a VW/Audi, built in the Czech Republic.

25 minutes ago, Bobbybass said:

Plus you can always find the dipstick in a Skoda.

It's behind behind the steering wheel...

Well better that than Jeff’s Mini (BMW) that doesn’t have a dipstick for any sort. Quite annoying when you want to do an oil change etc

Edited by nicknorman