Snob boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Ray T said:

Been over to the boat today to wash it, got half done then beaten by the rain so I haven't kept up with this thread, so is my boat 1/2 a shiny boat?

But here is a picture of a "real boater,." polishing his brass.

Still with us.

IMGP4489.JPG

And a regular single handed boater.

7 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have an urge when people mutter the boat's name as they go by to yell "Google it" .. or just put a note in the window!  For general information, the next tune in the book was "Lady Windermere's Dump" and i was very tempted...

My musical society has been playing Mr Beveridge's Maggot, so I know exactly what you mean!

I have no idea who Mr Beveridge was.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

A milk bottle (wide-necked) retained by the helm is quite useful, (particularly on a Trad stern, you can even wave to folks with impunity 'as you go')

Not wide-necked enough, I fear.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Not wide-necked enough, I fear.

In the early 1950s, the CIA used weather balloons to smuggle propaganda past the Iron Curtain. Thousands and thousands of weather balloons stuffed with "communism blows" leaflets and forged currency drifted over the border into Eastern Europe. Over 500,000 in total, containing 300 million leaflets -- but for one CIA agent, that wasn't quite enough. One man dared to dream bigger ... about 8 inches bigger. His name was Frank Wisner, and he hatched a plan to convince the Soviet Union that all Americans have giant dicks.

Wisner wanted to escalate the balloon campaign to include small baskets of "Made in the USA" goods. These would ostensibly be humanitarian aid, or serve as examples of the miracle of capitalism, but their true purpose was more sinister -- among the goods would be packets of jumbo extra-large condoms labeled "small" or "medium." The goal was to intimidate the Soviets by convincing them that all Americans had huge dongs (or possibly to reduce morale by convincing the Soviets that their li'l Reds were not so menacing after all).

Imagine the looks of terror among the peasants as they slid their floppy raincoats on and found them ill fitting, like the shed skin of some enormous red, white, and blue python. Put yourself in the shoes of the terrified East German border guard staring across the Berlin Wall, wondering if tonight was the night the enormously donged Yankees came to doodle his dandy. Picture the women, equal parts intrigued and frightened, knowing they should flee the inevitable fleshy tsunami, but too transfixed by the spectacle to do so.

• Haha 2
  • Horror 1

20 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

you are overusing the word snob...

there is nothing wrong in liking a beautiful object and disliking an ugly one...

and I find overwhelming majority of the narrow boats I see(small and big) beautiful... so am definitely not a snob.

Remember, beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

2 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

The duck doesnt like Newky brown any more!

First beer I ever drank, Dad use to take a couple of bottles when we use to go fishing about 500 years ago, or thats how it feels now. Funny how things bring back memories, I would have been about thirteen and we would cycle to Matham with all our gear on a Saturday afternoon

• Happy 1

43 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Other boaters can get a bit annoyed when you stop in a bridge hole for a toilet break but I have done it myself.

Did that on the Paddington arm once and got stuck on an underwater lock gate! Apparently there to hold water back in the event of bomb damage to the canal.

Thank you all for making me laugh

As a camper, we were looked down upon by the box polishers but they sooon ate their words when they saw the amount of space we had. Perhaps I should compare it to me having a wide beam and them a NB

Bought a secondhand caravan used it one weekend and gave it away, couldn't stand the snobbery

Same with our first cruiser only 27 foot and a petrol engine, but being on the Thames we were looked down upon. Loved that Nauticus.

Then upgraded to a twin engine Senior 31 and became a snob. But always gave reverence to the tin tubes, mainly because they could pulverise my grp hull

Now I have a 30' tin tube and I still get boat envy and eagerly paw through the canal mags not for the next boat but to see ideas for mine

Long story short, be it a car, tent, caravan or any other thing that is owned there will always be people who don't like it, want it or love it and they will want to express an opinion.

That's their right to do so the same as it's the recipients right to take issue with said comments.

Remember people died to give us that freedom.

As for all the vitriol and bile thrown at each other remember as Oscar Wilde is quoted as saying “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.”

Edited by Paul Gwilliams
Spelling

58 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the early 1950s, the CIA used weather balloons to smuggle propaganda past the Iron Curtain. Thousands and thousands of weather balloons stuffed with "communism blows" leaflets and forged currency drifted over the border into Eastern Europe. Over 500,000 in total, containing 300 million leaflets -- but for one CIA agent, that wasn't quite enough. One man dared to dream bigger ... about 8 inches bigger. His name was Frank Wisner, and he hatched a plan to convince the Soviet Union that all Americans have giant dicks.

Wisner wanted to escalate the balloon campaign to include small baskets of "Made in the USA" goods. These would ostensibly be humanitarian aid, or serve as examples of the miracle of capitalism, but their true purpose was more sinister -- among the goods would be packets of jumbo extra-large condoms labeled "small" or "medium." The goal was to intimidate the Soviets by convincing them that all Americans had huge dongs (or possibly to reduce morale by convincing the Soviets that their li'l Reds were not so menacing after all).

Imagine the looks of terror among the peasants as they slid their floppy raincoats on and found them ill fitting, like the shed skin of some enormous red, white, and blue python. Put yourself in the shoes of the terrified East German border guard staring across the Berlin Wall, wondering if tonight was the night the enormously donged Yankees came to doodle his dandy. Picture the women, equal parts intrigued and frightened, knowing they should flee the inevitable fleshy tsunami, but too transfixed by the spectacle to do so.

So that's why reds were found under the bed.

Discarded by their womenfolk in hope of an American. ?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

I found benylin the same!!...?

I found Budweiser gave me headaches. Never touch it now.

44 minutes ago, dave moore said:

J18 months ago, I spoke with “ Our ‘ Enery “ about repainting his back doors. Covid has had other ideas....here’s what he might expect..

26B0EB03-1CEE-4807-8793-9C603558F8DB.jpeg

They look same as mine....... ;)

I think..... the guy polishing his chimney made my front fender?  Joe?

Edited by mark99

16 minutes ago, mark99 said:

I found Budweiser gave me headaches. Never touch it now.

They look same as mine....... ;)

I think..... the guy polishing his chimney made my front fender?  Joe?

Joe is his brother, Henry in the picture.

Sorry guys I'm a bit late to this thread, but back in the early 80's I came across a boater on the  Llangollen Canal in full captains uniform including the peaked cap, wooden pole painted multi colours  fending his clean boat off the dirty canal banks, he didn't like me passing.

My friends from the Wey & Arun canal trust where a couple of miles behind me and they where having a go at hauling the boat with ropes, the captain ended up in the cut.