Snob boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Athy said:

I'm surprised by that assertion in two ways.

Firstly, how do you know that people are rich just because they keep their boats clean? As mentioned above, working boat families took a pride in the appearance of their craft, and they were scarcely in the upper income bracket. There's a chap who moors along from us who is a CART employee, and thus unlikely to be raking in a six-figure salary, but his little narrowboat is always kept in immaculate condition.

Secondly, I would think that most people would tend to admire a well-presented boat, just as one might admire a car in showroom condition ("Cor, that's a beauty") rather than being jealous of its owners.

Even at our poorest(  and we were) we could manage washing up liquid a mop and brasso.

we were primer and polished brass for a long time , and i have never paid anyone to paint my boats

• Happy 1

2 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

well that was my impression thanks for correcting me...

seems arthur is an internet celebrity :)

I have an urge when people mutter the boat's name as they go by to yell "Google it" .. or just put a note in the window!  For general information, the next tune in the book was "Lady Windermere's Dump" and i was very tempted...

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have an urge when people mutter the boat's name as they go by to yell "Google it" .

I felt an urge, while listening to that posturing jerk woffling away, to reach through the screen and strangle him. Fortunately, however, I'm not a violent man, otherwise I might have damaged my screen.

8 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Looks ok to me.  Now I wanna know what it said before?!

An a replaced by an i. Apparently that one letter change makes all the difference to those determined to find some way to be offended on others’ behalf. Rather sad, really.

16 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

are we still treating women as infants in 2020?

Still?

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

Well, when you get round to buying a butty...

....with a portaloo on it.

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

It said the word that has resulted in several members being banned.

(slang for the female reproductive organ)

And I was just about to type "So twit previously said tw..."

Would I have been banned?  How ridiculous!

I couldn't care less what words people use.  The issue I have is personal attacks (which are actually against site rules).  So a forum member directly calling another member a plonker seems far worse to me than when someone says all boaters are tw*ts.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

And I was just about to type "So twit previously said tw..."

Would I have been banned?  How ridiculous!

I couldn't care less what words people use.  The issue I have is personal attacks (which are actually against site rules).  So a forum member directly calling another member a plonker seems far worse to me than when someone says all boaters are tw*ts.

I have been warned for using F word but thats forum rule so I cant really complain.. what I cant agree is to treat women differently. (as some delicate flower)

long time ago , in my workplace only person with foul mouth was an aussie lady... (was never abusive though, mostly for fun and emphasis)

interestingly the F word I used was in frustration that people are going at each other's throat continuously, and getting personal.

Edited by restlessnomad

2 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

I have been warned for using F word but thats forum rule so I cant really complain.. what I cant agree is to treat women differently. (as some delicate flower)

long time ago , in my workplace only person with foul mouth was an aussie lady... (was never abusive though, mostly for fun and emphasis)

interestingly the F word I used was in frustration that people are going at each other's throat continuously, and getting personal.

Except the covid memes thread is liberally littered with the F word.  A forum rule is only meaningful if applied consistently.  When a swear word is used, but not in the context of a personal attack, it should be allowed IMO.

40 minutes ago, Athy said:

I felt an urge, while listening to that posturing jerk woffling away, to reach through the screen and strangle him. Fortunately, however, I'm not a violent man, otherwise I might have damaged my screen.

If you shut your eyes it could be Wooster played by the wonderful Hugh Laurie. When you open them, it looks like Hugh with glasses on.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

Don't be too harsh, it's an illness:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

Very common amongst vloggers.

• Greenie 1

My original thought was to post "Keyboard warriors on the other hand...." .And leave it hanging for others to muse upon.The final part was tongue in cheek,as including it makes ME a keyboard warrior too!!??  REALLY surprised no one has pointed that out!?

My use of language was unfortunate. ?

• Greenie 1

Just now, Leggers do it lying down said:

My original thought was to post "Keyboard warriors on the other hand...." .And leave it hanging for others to muse upon.The final part was tongue in cheek,as including it makes ME a keyboard warrior too!!??  REALLY surprised no one has pointed that out!?

My use of language was unfortunate. ?

You're a right tw....!

Only joking! :icecream:

53 minutes ago, mark99 said:

If you shut your eyes it could be Wooster played by the wonderful Hugh Laurie. When you open them, it looks like Hugh with glasses on.

Tee-hee. But Wooster talked more sense.

I agree with your assessment though: Fry and Laurie were by far the best Jeeves and Wooster combination.

I am sorry to say that I have not heard much of boating interest in this post. Surely we can have a decent conversation without descending into

the childish sniping which occurs daily in the House of Commons!!

Finally, Isobel started this but at no time has she detailed the circumstances of the altercation!  I for one would like to know where she was,what kind

of mooring was it and was she within her rights to be there!?

On a lighter note I also met and chatted to the chap on Lord Byron's maggot a few weeks ago on the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie. Nowt wrong

with his boat or his attitude and hope he felt the same about me!

7 minutes ago, vicafloat said:

On a lighter note I also met and chatted to the chap on Lord Byron's maggot a few weeks ago on the Middlewich branch of the Shroppie. Nowt wrong with his boat or his attitude

It's the trombone practice at 3am that most people object to ...

:D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

However much 'dead on' we might think we are, I suspect the majority of us have prejudices when it comes to boating. Let's have a bit of fun: Have a think, what's your own prejudice? I'll start the ball rolling...

I'm certainly not what most might call a 'shiny boater'. I did paint my boat 2 years ago, it's a decent job, but certainly not 'shiny' status. However, I'd say my boat is practical, in the extreme, for doing what it was built to do i.e. spend its life moored up against various towpaths. 

My own prejudice is against those who spend a considerable amount of time on the cut with boats not properly equipped for this task. Typically these boats will be of the 'shiny' variety. 'Non shiny' boats could qualify as well but I make the assumption that shiny boaters are in a better financial situation, they should be able to equip their boats properly for the task in hand.

So fairly typically: The boats against which I have prejudice run their overly large and powerful engines for several hours every day, throughout the year. They may have all the latest gizmos on their hundred grand boats but neglected to fit a gas water heater and a few solar panels. Perhaps they don't look very nice? Sure, their engine might be the latest fully complying version but you can't get away from the fact that it's burning diesel for several hours a day. A better thing to comply with would be to build boats that can exist on their intended waterways (canals) as much as is practicable without destroying the peace for several hours every day with the horrible, intrusive, monotonous drone of their diesel engines.

That's my prejudiced rant done with.

What's yours?   

But if those boats cruise for a few hours every day, they dont need gas water hearers or solar panels, because the large and powerful engine will charge the batteries sufficiently and make plenty of hot water, and are thus "fit for purpose".

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Horrible, wasn't it? I hadn't seen it before, thank gods. It's why I don't watch vlogs. I deny all responsibility for idiots - I got into enough trouble for a song about Parry!

33 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

It's the trombone practice at 3am that most people object to ...

:D

Me too. That's why I've taken up the trumpet.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, nicknorman said:

The whole concept of judging a person by whether or not their boat is newish, well painted and maintained, or not, is ludicrous and just demonstrates prejudice and snobbery (inverted, or not).

Our boat is called Telemachus, named after the son of Odysseus in Greek mythology.
We came across a moored shiny boat one day, by the name of Odysseus. The chap was standing on the back. As we passed I  called out “Hello daddy!”. The chap gave me a horrified look like I was some deviant paedo or something, and scuttled inside without answering.

The next day we passed a moored skanky dirty black rat-boat. Up popped the head of a young man whose hair had reached equilibrium having not been washed for many months, is scruff clothes. He gave us a cheery wave and said with a grin “Ah, Telemachus, the son of Odysseus!” which I will admit, slightly surprised me. Moral being you can’t judge a book by its cover.

But he obviously went to a proper school ...

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1