Snob boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

My prejudice is other barge owners - usually new and of a particular make - who never wave unless waved at in passing. It used to be barges stuck together.  There, got that off my chest... thanks.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I would agree with the general increased sense of entitlement, but I see it just as prevalent in rat boaters as it is in shiny boaters. Slightly different perhaps, but the rat boaters feel entitled to break the rules more than the shiny boaters. The shiny boaters can be guilty of undue “preciousness” over their boats. And in both cases, the majority are unable to tie their boats up properly!

I think you're right but I don't see it as much on the other side of the channel, Probably because overall the density of boats is much less. In Holland though It can be really busy and lots of pressure on moorings but although there are a few cross words and impatience I don't think I see the 'class' thing as much. (Mind you I can't speak Dutch so who knows what is going on sometimes)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jeddlad said:

What would knowing the name of the other boat solve? Now if the other boater involved was on here that would be great. I'd deffo get the popcorn out for that one! 

Knowing the name of the boat would enable us (forum members) to see if the person is a member of this forum, if not enable us to get the "Other side of the story" At the moment all we know is he has a posh shiny boat.

Edited by Laurie Booth

It seems the country as a whole is both more judgemental and reactionary, with folks breaking down humanity into groups and ignoring the individual. Empathy for the other has all but disappeared, an example might be the driver cursing a cyclist momentarily holding them up, not stopping to think that he is scared witless by fast moving, and often inconsiderate traffic. 

In the past, most would have chuckled on meeting mr angry in the OP, possibly thinking to yourself how miserable his life must be but throwing the incident immediately behind you as irrelevant. 

As for envy, i do think it can be a very British trait. Growing up in west London i have had various jobs with many colleagues from India, the Caribbean, etc., and it was a joy to see what happened when one of the fellas turned up in a nice new car, a stream of congratulations and admiration followed, but more than once a neighbour has acquired a new vehicle and another has put a key along the side soon after. 

18 minutes ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

Oh god no. The ones who call themselves "real boaters" are the worst. Usually Midlanders in their late '60s, called Keith, with a beard. They inevitably have a 1990s NABO sticker saying "CANALS were built for BOATS" in the window and a sarcastic sign about "Which bit of SLOW DOWN don't you understand?". The signwriting used to say "Keith & Mary Pillock", but Mary had the good sense to up sticks as soon as the kids left home and so the "& Mary" bit has been inexpertly painted out.

I generally like pretty much everyone I meet on the waterways, from first-time hire-boaters to the Broom-Broom brigade, but there is a particular breed of supercilious, know-it-all old fart that brings me out in hives.

(With apologies to any 60-something Brummie Keiths on here.)

My definition of a "Real Boater" is broad and would include most hire boaters, its anybody with a significant interest in boats and canals. An example of a non boater would be somebody living on a boat because they think its cheap housing and having zero interest in boats or canals, and yes they exist, I have met them. One sad case even told me that the rules don't apply to him because he is here out of necessity rather than to go boating.

...............Dave   (over 60 and originally from Brum ?)

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Izz love,, you have now been molested by the four most antagonistic, argumentative, opinionated, attention seeking members of this forum.

If you have survived and are still here, well done.

Ignore them for long enough and they will go away, they are like naughty children, want to be heard all the time and hate being pulled up, especially by a woman. They get nasty at a whim, but are only internet tigers, not real bad people.

I don't care what your boat , my boat or anyone else's boat looks like or how much Brasso they waste wearing the brass away needlessly.

Real boaters use brown sauce ?

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MrsM said:

I love it when you pass a boat and the "Mary" has been replaced by "Vacancy" - makes me chuckle. I would love a shiny boat. I'm a shiny boat on the inside and shabby boat on the outside in the same way that I'm a youthful skinny supermodel on the inside and chubby middle-aged woman on the outside. When I repaint next year I hope I will be a bit shinier (and a bit skinnier). 

I saw one boat signwritten along the lines "Keith and the current Mrs Pillock".

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

DON'T JUDGE THE BOATER BY THE BOAT!...

Not all shiny boats have snobby,self-important assholes aboard!...

Not all tatty boats have alcoholic,druggie,"gippos" aboard...

Keyboard warriors on the other hand....all twIts!!! ?

I do agree with the sentiments but had to edit your language.

Please, there are many women on this forum and it is insulting to them.

It's possible that the snob guy was such an arse that he came and said what he did for absolutely no reason at all, but it's not something I've ever experienced.  This leads to a sneaking suspicion that something was happening which annoyed him. 

Possible culprits could be; noise, from a genny, engine or loudspeaker; detritus left around the towpath; black smoke from a chimney; dog roaming off lead.

There could surely be other things which I'd think of if I thunk for a bit longer.

I'm not saying if any of these are justification for the guy's attitude, but usually there's at least something happening on both sides.  The fact that the OP has been pretty sketchy with the details just leaves the rest of us trying to fill in the blanks. 

The original post does just come over as a rant.  Who knows whether it's justified or not?  The OP does, and the 'snobby' guy does.  The rest of us have no clue.

I write this while my genny is busy humming away outside, and I'm aware this can annoy some people....

• Greenie 3

17 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I do agree with the sentiments but had to edit your language.

Please, there are many women on this forum and it is insulting to them.

why is it insulting to women to use bad language (any more than men)... are we still treating women as infants in 2020?

• Greenie 2