Snob boaters

Izz

Featured Posts

6 hours ago, Izz said:

A snotty shiny boater just gave me and my boat the right stink eye, then came over with a look on his face like someone was holding a turd under his nose and asked if I was staying long.

I told him I'll stay as long as I like.

If you're one of these types, I hope your area gets invaded by a horde of real hardcore water gyppos from London who are A LOT less polite and quiet than I am!

Thanks for reading.

Isobel.

Let me try:

"I moored up today, and a chap came over and unpleasantly asked how long I was intending to stay.  Does this happen a lot, or is he just a nasty character?  I don't know if my unpolished mushrooms made him that cross or if he just has issues."

See how the tone changes the presentation of the information?  Some of my best friends are "polishers", some of the others wouldn't recognise polish if you gave them a tin of it, and I'm somewhere in between.

I think you're getting more stick for your attitude as it comes across in your post than for the facts provided.

• Greenie 2

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Let me try:

"I moored up today, and a chap came over and unpleasantly asked how long I was intending to stay.  Does this happen a lot, or is he just a nasty character?  I don't know if my unpolished mushrooms made him that cross or if he just has issues."

See how the tone changes the presentation of the information?  Some of my best friends are "polishers", some of the others wouldn't recognise polish if you gave them a tin of it, and I'm somewhere in between.

I think you're getting more stick for your attitude as it comes across in your post than for the facts provided.

Incralac, bridges the great divide ?

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Izz said:

I honestly did nothing. You should have seen the fella when he approached me. Pure hate in his eyes.

He didn't know me from Adam. I'm friendly to everyone, but this fella clocked me and had no interest in being anything but hostile.

Like the membership here it seems.

Thank goodness 99% of boaters are better people than this thread suggests.

Please can we have the name of his boat?

2 hours ago, Laurie Booth said:

Please can we have the name of his boat?

What would knowing the name of the other boat solve? Now if the other boater involved was on here that would be great. I'd deffo get the popcorn out for that one! 

9 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

I am not judging you, I have not posted anything about your character yet...

am purely trying to judge whether your boat is ugly or not(so much so that it offended the eyes of shiny boater)

Any boat that isn't shiny will offend the eyes of a shiny boater.

9 hours ago, Izz said:

This is hilarious!

That's a relief. Reading some of your posts, I thought you were being serious. Please be careful what you write, as your rather sharp sense of humour could offend some members.

14 hours ago, Izz said:

A snotty shiny boater just gave me and my boat the right stink eye, then came over with a look on his face like someone was holding a turd under his nose and asked if I was staying long.

I told him I'll stay as long as I like.

If you're one of these types, I hope your area gets invaded by a horde of real hardcore water gyppos from London who are A LOT less polite and quiet than I am!

Thanks for reading.

Isobel.

I told you last week not to park yer boat in that winding hole Izz ?

• Haha 4

its difficult to know if shiny boaters have superiority complex or ugly/scruffy boaters have inferiority complex... that leads to such bad experience....

people judge you by your external appearance but seldom display their contempt openly.

A lot of boaters are jealous of shiny boaters who are usually rich(and keen on their comfort), so the contempt goes both ways.

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, restlessnomad said:

A lot of boaters are jealous of shiny boaters who are usually rich.

I'm surprised by that assertion in two ways.

Firstly, how do you know that people are rich just because they keep their boats clean? As mentioned above, working boat families took a pride in the appearance of their craft, and they were scarcely in the upper income bracket. There's a chap who moors along from us who is a CART employee, and thus unlikely to be raking in a six-figure salary, but his little narrowboat is always kept in immaculate condition.

Secondly, I would think that most people would tend to admire a well-presented boat, just as one might admire a car in showroom condition ("Cor, that's a beauty") rather than being jealous of its owners.

However much 'dead on' we might think we are, I suspect the majority of us have prejudices when it comes to boating. Let's have a bit of fun: Have a think, what's your own prejudice? I'll start the ball rolling...

I'm certainly not what most might call a 'shiny boater'. I did paint my boat 2 years ago, it's a decent job, but certainly not 'shiny' status. However, I'd say my boat is practical, in the extreme, for doing what it was built to do i.e. spend its life moored up against various towpaths. 

My own prejudice is against those who spend a considerable amount of time on the cut with boats not properly equipped for this task. Typically these boats will be of the 'shiny' variety. 'Non shiny' boats could qualify as well but I make the assumption that shiny boaters are in a better financial situation, they should be able to equip their boats properly for the task in hand.

So fairly typically: The boats against which I have prejudice run their overly large and powerful engines for several hours every day, throughout the year. They may have all the latest gizmos on their hundred grand boats but neglected to fit a gas water heater and a few solar panels. Perhaps they don't look very nice? Sure, their engine might be the latest fully complying version but you can't get away from the fact that it's burning diesel for several hours a day. A better thing to comply with would be to build boats that can exist on their intended waterways (canals) as much as is practicable without destroying the peace for several hours every day with the horrible, intrusive, monotonous drone of their diesel engines.

That's my prejudiced rant done with.

What's yours?   

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Athy said:

I'm surprised by that assertion in two ways.

Firstly, how do you know that people are rich just because they keep their boats clean? As mentioned above, working boat families took a pride in the appearance of their craft, and they were scarcely in the upper income bracket. There's a chap who moors along from us who is a CART employee, and thus unlikely to be raking in a six-figure salary, but his little narrowboat is always kept in immaculate condition.

Secondly, I would think that most people would tend to admire a well-presented boat, just as one might admire a car in showroom condition ("Cor, that's a beauty") rather than being jealous of its owners.

well that was my impression thanks for correcting me...

seems arthur is an internet celebrity :)

Edited by restlessnomad

The world of canals and boats reflects that of the country as a whole. We have owned a few widely differing boats as well as travelling on some awful old sinkers. There is a real sense of entitlement now amongst those lucky enough to have the cash but not always the knowledge and experience to buy there way right to the 'top' of the tree in smart boats. On Bee on the Thames a few years ago I got talking to a real old commodore of a yacht club type who as near as dammit offered a mooring for Bee if we ever needed it, Bee is a nice boat. I think he had read the boat correctly but misread the lefty, anarchist old hippy! . C'est la vie I suppose and I expect we all do it but that sense of entitlement that I see now is horrible. More rules, more regulation, more money = more divisiveness and 'justification' for poor behaviour from the wealthy and lucky.

2 minutes ago, Bee said:

The world of canals and boats reflects that of the country as a whole. We have owned a few widely differing boats as well as travelling on some awful old sinkers. There is a real sense of entitlement now amongst those lucky enough to have the cash but not always the knowledge and experience to buy there way right to the 'top' of the tree in smart boats. On Bee on the Thames a few years ago I got talking to a real old commodore of a yacht club type who as near as dammit offered a mooring for Bee if we ever needed it, Bee is a nice boat. I think he had read the boat correctly but misread the lefty, anarchist old hippy! . C'est la vie I suppose and I expect we all do it but that sense of entitlement that I see now is horrible. More rules, more regulation, more money = more divisiveness and 'justification' for poor behaviour from the wealthy and lucky.

@Athy this is what I was talking about.... not saying bee is wrong... canal people cant escape class system it appears.

7 minutes ago, Bee said:

I would agree with the general increased sense of entitlement, but I see it just as prevalent in rat boaters as it is in shiny boaters. Slightly different perhaps, but the rat boaters feel entitled to break the rules more than the shiny boaters. The shiny boaters can be guilty of undue “preciousness” over their boats. And in both cases, the majority are unable to tie their boats up properly!

2 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Maybe it wasn't personal and he was a misanthrope and treated everyone with the same greeting, I know I do.

Possibly, or more likely the OP has such a massive chip that any interaction is seen as hostile?

After all, she has presented no evidence as to exactly what she found so offensive, just a few words that amount to an opinion or impression. The chap behaving in exactly the same way to another, more rounded person would probably have caused no offence at all.